Search

New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
I...
After 24 months after you received your bonus points for the Sapphire Preferred, you can then upgrade to the Sapphire Reserve.
Here are the terms:

This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months. If you are an existing Sapphire customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new cardmember bonus if you change products.
Changing from one Sapphire to another does not require waiting 24 months after the bonus. We have many examples of people who received a bonus last year when opening a Sapphire Reserve, and have changed to a Sapphire or Preferred in less than 24 months.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Here are the terms:

Changing from one Sapphire to another does not require waiting 24 months after the bonus. We have many examples of people who received a bonus last year when opening a Sapphire Reserve, and have changed to a Sapphire or Preferred in less than 24 months.
You are right --- the key word here is "changing"
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Here are the terms:
Mia,
Please let me know your interpretation of this scenario:

User currently has Chase Freedom [15+ years of credit history]
and
User currently has Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) [<1 year credit history]

User likes the "CSR flavor" and likes the 15+years years credit history, and would like to have just one Chase card with these 2 features. What is the best approach that would accomplish this without violating the 24 month rule??

For instance, can the user just cancel the CSR, and immediately ask to upgrade/product change the Freedom to the CSR? OR Can the user ask Chase to "consolidate" the 2 cards into 1 and keep the card number of the one that has 15+ years of credit history but ensure it has the CSR flavor, OR is there another approach? The user is not interested in any bonus so please don't factor that into your approach of how it should be accomplished.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Mia,
Please let me know your interpretation of this scenario:

User currently has Chase Freedom [15+ years of credit history]
and
User currently has Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) [<1 year credit history]

User likes the "CSR flavor" and likes the 15+years years credit history, and would like to have just one Chase card with these 2 features. What is the best approach that would accomplish this without violating the 24 month rule??

For instance, can the user just cancel the CSR, and immediately ask to upgrade/product change the Freedom to the CSR? OR Can the user ask Chase to "consolidate" the 2 cards into 1 and keep the card number of the one that has 15+ years of credit history but ensure it has the CSR flavor, OR is there another approach? The user is not interested in any bonus so please don't factor that into your approach of how it should be accomplished.

Thanks in advance.
What purpose would any of this serve? Even if you close your CSR it's still going to show up on your credit report and affect your average age of accounts for the next 10 years. And why would you want to get rid of a no fee card like the Freedom? You do realize that you can earn more points with bonus categories and these points can then be transferred to the CSR. Even if you want the convenience of using only one card, there is absolutely no reason why you can't throw your Freedom in your sock drawer.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
#
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Originally Posted by pallhedge
&
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
What purpose would any of this serve? Even if you close your CSR it's still going to show up on your credit report and affect your average age of accounts for the next 10 years. And why would you want to get rid of a no fee card like the Freedom? You do realize that you can earn more points with bonus categories and these points can then be transferred to the CSR. Even if you want the convenience of using only one card, there is absolutely no reason why you can't throw your Freedom in your sock drawer.
The question had nothing to do with the "purpose" behind what I am trying to accomplish. That's like someone asking for something related to the iphone X, and getting a response that the iPhone 8 Plus would be a better deal than the iphone X.

I am not requesting an opinion on whether I need the iphone X or the iphone 8 Plus, or both, or none, or whether one is better or is more advantageous than the other. You get the point!

I am just agitated because the response is going on a wrong track and I apologize if my above analogy sounds rude but I don't have knowledge of another way to be direct. Now, if someone could only answer the specific question that I had asked. Thanks.

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Sep 30, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:46 am

The question had nothing to do with the "purpose" behind what I am trying to accomplish. That's like someone asking for something related to the iphone X, and getting a response that the iPhone 8 Plus would be a better deal than the iphone X.

I am not requesting an opinion on whether I need the iphone X or the iphone 8 Plus, or both, or none, or whether one is better or is more advantageous than the other. You get the point!

I am just agitated because the response is going on a wrong track and I apologize if my above analogy sounds rude but I don't have knowledge of another way to be direct. Now, if someone could only answer the specific question that I had asked. Thanks.
I don't know why you quoted me, but the only logical approach is to keep both cards.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:03 pm
mia

...can the user just cancel the CSR, and immediately ask to upgrade/product change the Freedom to the CSR?
We don't know because the "one Sapphire card" policy is new, but based on THIS thread (with different facts), I would say no. You would need to wait awhile before you could change the Freedom to the Reserve. Awhile could be a few billing cycles or longer. Chase reps might not even know, you might simply need to keep asking.

Can the user ask Chase to "consolidate" the 2 cards into 1 and keep the card number
I have never read of anything like this. The card number range that Chase uses for Freedom is likely different than the range they use for Reserve, but it's the account that matters, not the number.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:45 pm

I don't know why you quoted me, but the only logical approach is to keep both cards.
Again, doesn't answer the question that has an objective of having one card!

As an analogy, it's like asking a question on the iphone X and getting a response on..........oh well! I tried!

Originally Posted by mia
I have never read of anything like this. The card number range that Chase uses for Freedom is likely different than the range they use for Reserve, but it's the account that matters, not the number.
The number would matter only to keep the 15 years of credit history.

Last edited by mia; Sep 30, 2017 at 2:06 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:05 pm
mia

The number would matter only to keep the 15 years of credit history.
No, only the account matters, not the card number which may change for any numbers of reasons.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:33 am

Again, doesn't answer the question that has an objective of having one card!

As an analogy, it's like asking a question on the iphone X and getting a response on..........oh well! I tried!
A better analogy akin to your question would be: I need to hammer this nail into this block of wood. I have a hammer and 2 iPhones. Which iPhone should I use?

I'm perfectly comfortable suggesting that you to use the hammer despite your insistence that it doesn't actually answer your question. Your requirement (avoiding the hammer or having one card) is not reasonable.
notquiteaff and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:40 am

A better analogy akin to your question would be: I need to hammer this nail into this block of wood. I have a hammer and 2 iPhones. Which iPhone should I use?

I'm perfectly comfortable suggesting that you to use the hammer despite your insistence that it doesn't actually answer your question. Your requirement (avoiding the hammer or having one card) is not reasonable.
I don't buy your reasoning. You assume what cards are best from your perspective, not mine! That's your biggest flaw - you ASSUME what's best to your thinking is best for everyone in this country (sort of like Trump's views) For instance, I don't ever use 5% category on Chase, so its relative value in terms of "rewards" is meaningless, for me. You may like keeping tens of credit cards. I don't and never have. And, using my approach, my FICO score is above 800 (and has been so for several years).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:50 am
mia

Moderator observation

Flyertalk is a discussion board, not an advice bureau. If a reply isn't helpful, ignore it, but don't criticize the poster - the reply may help someone else. Likewise, offer advice only once, ideas don't improve with repetition.
notquiteaff and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:41 pm

Has anyone tried downgrading their CSP to a CF/CFU, and then tried applying for the CSR (or vice versa) before 24 months from earning the bonus and gotten approved?

See data point: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...e9m/?context=3
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by knokturnl
Has anyone tried downgrading their CSP to a CF/CFU, and then tried applying for the CSR (or vice versa) before 24 months from earning the bonus and gotten approved?

See data point: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...e9m/?context=3
Alternatively, can one downgrade a CSR to a CF/CFU and then a long-held CF/CFU (> 1 year) to a CSR and get the benefits?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:02 pm

w

I don't buy your reasoning. You assume what cards are best from your perspective, not mine! That's your biggest flaw - you ASSUME what's best to your thinking is best for everyone in this country (sort of like Trump's views) For instance, I don't ever use 5% category on Chase, so its relative value in terms of "rewards" is meaningless, for me. You may like keeping tens of credit cards. I don't and never have. And, using my approach, my FICO score is above 800 (and has been so for several years).
You have the Freedom with bonus catagories. I have the Freedom Unlimited that earns 1.5 points per dollar on everything. Changing your Freedom card to the Unlimted and using it for all spending other than the bonus catagories that Sapphire Reserve has is a good strategy. Transferring points from Freedom to Sapphire Ultimate Rewards point is very easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.