Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I have two cards, the CSR and the CSP. AF for the CSR posted last month and I paid it. CSP AF comes due in June IIRC.

My reasons for having two cards have decreased somewhat (most online accounts are on the CSR by now and I no longer have an AU on the CSP.) However, I do like having both. Last year, I got a $60 fee credit on the CSP fee due to also having the CSR. Thinking I'll attempt the same this year; not sure if they'll give it to me, but I figure a polite request doesn't hurt.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You dare to question the Yak?

It's 60 days for a downgrade, 30 days for cancellation.
Lol, generally speaking, if I'm not sure, I don't post.

Originally Posted by txviking
I have two cards, the CSR and the CSP. AF for the CSR posted last month and I paid it. CSP AF comes due in June IIRC.

My reasons for having two cards have decreased somewhat (most online accounts are on the CSR by now and I no longer have an AU on the CSP.) However, I do like having both. Last year, I got a $60 fee credit on the CSP fee due to also having the CSR. Thinking I'll attempt the same this year; not sure if they'll give it to me, but I figure a polite request doesn't hurt.
Multiple cards is good but I'm not sure why you like having both of these particular cards. There is no single benefit that CSP provides that CSR doesn't provide the same or enhanced benefit. You're paying for 100% overlap. I would strongly recommend product changing your CSP to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. No annual fee and different points-earning categories.
jjmiller69 and roundtree like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:22 am

Thanks a lot guys...Honestly I am more confused...I am between 2 choices now:

1) Downgrade now on my first annual renewal. This means I got $300 credit twice and had to pay $450 once, so a gain of $150 but losing a good premium card
2) Keep the card, pay the annual renewal then cancel on January 2019....so then it would be even (300 X 3 and 450 X 2).

I am leaning toward the second choice now...but not sure if it's worth it. I have 2 premium cards now (Chase reserve and CNB crystal infinite). I also have chase freedom, unlimited, business preferred. Any recommendations?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
...losing a good premium card... I also have ...freedom...business preferred....
CNB appears to duplicate the Priority Pass feature. INK Preferred duplicates the 3X travel earning and airline/hotel transfer features of Sapphire Reserve, dining is often Freedom bonus category. What are you actually losing? $0.0025/point if redeeming for Connexions travel bookings. There may be a difference in the insurance benefits, you would need to compare the booklets.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
CNB appears to duplicate the Priority Pass feature. INK Preferred duplicates the 3X travel earning and airline/hotel transfer features of Sapphire Reserve, dining is often Freedom bonus category. What are you actually losing? $0.0025/point if redeeming for Connexions travel bookings. There may be a difference in the insurance benefits, you would need to compare the booklets.
Good point. I might not renew the business ink card. Annual fee of 95 is going to hit in 3 months...So if I go with the second choice and keep the CSR, I will downgrade the ink preferred.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:19 pm
RNE

I have two cards, the CSR and the CSP....I do like having both.
Why?
pallhedge and Critterlynn like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
Why?
+1 ^^ why would you want both
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by RNE
Why?
Here are a few reasons:
1) I got the CSP before the CSR existed, and I still use the CSP card number for a few monthly bills that I autopay, plus a few web sites I shop at often that have it on file.

2) I have an AU on my CSP. Free of charge on the CSP; $75/yr additional on the CSR.

3) Neither card has a FTF abroad. Should something happen to one, I can rely on the other.

These are conveniences, not must-haves. But for a discounted $30 AF, it was worthwhile to me to keep both.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Here are a few reasons:
1) I got the CSP before the CSR existed, and I still use the CSP card number for a few monthly bills that I autopay, plus a few web sites I shop at often that have it on file.

2) I have an AU on my CSP. Free of charge on the CSP; $75/yr additional on the CSR.

3) Neither card has a FTF abroad. Should something happen to one, I can rely on the other.

These are conveniences, not must-haves. But for a discounted $30 AF, it was worthwhile to me to keep both.
So basically your paying $95 for an authorized user instead of $75. On top of that, they only get 2x points on travel and dining and they don't get their own priority pass.

Makes sense.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:50 am
mia

... for a discounted $30 AF, it was worthwhile to me to keep both.
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
So basically your paying $95 for an authorized user instead of $75.....
It sounds as if txviking is paying $30 because Chase has a different retention strategy for Preferred versus Reserve.
txviking likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:54 am

So my annual fee on my CSP hit on March 1st, so I should have up until April 30th to downgrade to Freedom in order to get my fee refunded. But will I still get the 2X points earned on my charges that are still outstanding with the CSP once I do the product change?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
Good point. I might not renew the business ink card. Annual fee of 95 is going to hit in 3 months...So if I go with the second choice and keep the CSR, I will downgrade the ink preferred.
just PC the Business card to the Ink Cash card with almost the same benefits (to transfer the UR you need to have the CSP/CSR/.... but as you got them no problem)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Zaphod42
So my annual fee on my CSP hit on March 1st, so I should have up until April 30th to downgrade to Freedom in order to get my fee refunded. But will I still get the 2X points earned on my charges that are still outstanding with the CSP once I do the product change?
Any charges that have already posted will earn 2x points. Consider PCing today. I'm not sure how close to the 60 day mark I'd be comfortable with.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Any charges that have already posted will earn 2x points. Consider PCing today. I'm not sure how close to the 60 day mark I'd be comfortable with.

Thank you for your reply. I went ahead and did a PC today to the freedom unlimited, every purchase I had made with the CSP had posted but my statement doesn't cut until May 2nd.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:17 pm
mia

Moderator action

Thread closed because (essentially) no Sapphire Reserve retention bonuses have been reported. Please report in the primary thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...e-reserve.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.