Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Hoping to get the expert's advice with my situation. Our AF came due on our CSR (spouse's) and CSP (conversion from a Fairmont card). Figured it's time to consolidate some of our UR-generating cards. Here is as summary of our cards:
Me
  • Chase Freedom (not Freedom unlimited), $0 AF
  • Chase Ink Business Plus, $95 AF
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred (conversion from Fairmont card), $95 AF billed 2/1
Spouse
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve (2018 $300 Travel Credit already redeemed, $450 AF billed 2/1)
A few other relevant points:
  • Combined UR balance = 880K points
  • I am well over 5/24. My spouse is under 5/24
  • Would like to preserve the ability to transfer UR points to airlines/hotels
  • Don't need the Priority Pass that comes with CSR, as one of us (me) already has that with Citi Prestige AND Amex Plat
  • I like getting GC's and prepaid cards (when on sale) at office supply stores using Ink 5x
Which cards should I keep/downgrade/close?

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Ink Cash for no-annual-fee can get you the same 5x in the same categories as Ink Plus. That leaves CSP and CSR to decide between. Going forward, basically a $55 difference in AF between the 2 cards factoring in the travel credit.

One way to decide: Given your large amount of UR points, if you ever use the UR portal to redeem points for travel, you may want to consider keeping CSR and downgrading CSP. Redeeming only 22k UR for travel using CSR's portal at 1.5 cpp vs CSP's portal at 1.25 cpp makes up the entire $55.

Another way to decide is to look at your annual dining/travel expenses. The extra UR received for using CSR for those purchases might be worth the extra $55 to keep it.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Planning on upgrading my CSP to CSR. Just to confirm, no the trick to get the $300 Travel Credit this calendar year, and $300 travel credit next calendar year (then cancel/downgrade) should still work, correct?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Planning on upgrading my CSP to CSR. Just to confirm, no the trick to get the $300 Travel Credit this calendar year, and $300 travel credit next calendar year (then cancel/downgrade) should still work, correct?
The CSR travel credit now operates on a cardmember year, not calendar year. You can still double dip the travel credit but the timing is different.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
Any data points of the annual fee being prorated?
Worked for us. Annual fee hit in October. Received $300 reimbursement in January. PC to Freedom in February and got $260 of the annual fee back. So, $190 for a $300 travel credit, essentially. Not bad — better than an outright cancel. Worked like pointsyak suggested.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
$13530.86 spend, no retention offer. Kept card due to benefits.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:37 pm

Annual spend 14568, no retention offer
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:55 pm

Is there any reason for my wife to keep the card if I have it? If we always travel together, seems like only one card is enough?

Also, if she has Freedom Unlimited points, do I need to transfer them to my UR before cancelling them? I'm trying to get the 5x bonus categories before March 31 (which is when her Reserve needs to be cancelled)

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Also, if she has Freedom Unlimited points, do I need to transfer them to my UR before cancelling them? I'm trying to get the 5x bonus categories before March 31 ....
Freedom is the card which offers 5 points per dollar in rotating categories.

Freedom Unlimited is the card which earns 1.5 points per dollar on all spending, no bonuses.

Moving points from one UR account to another is called Combining (not Transferring). If your wife has any points in her Sapphire Reserve account those need to be moved before she closes the card. Points in her Freedom or Freedom Unlimited accounts can be Combined with your Sapphire Reserve account at any time:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html

Problems Combining UR points between accounts
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by lkar

Worked for us. Annual fee hit in October. Received $300 reimbursement in January. PC to Freedom in February and got $260 of the annual fee back. So, $190 for a $300 travel credit, essentially. Not bad — better than an outright cancel. Worked like pointsyak suggested.
About how long did it take from PC to the prorated refund. Did you have to ask for it or did it just happen? Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
About how long did it take from PC to the prorated refund. Did you have to ask for it or did it just happen? Thanks.
I've seen refunds take anywhere from 2 days to 2+ weeks. Thankfully, it is automatic since the phone reps usually don't know the policy.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

It just happened, and was on the account page on the web site the next time I logged it. I didn't pay attention, but I think it posted within a day or two.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:33 pm

Thanks. I'm just wondering b/c I did the PC about a week ago and still do not see the refund. If it's normal for it to take a week or two then I'll just wait, but I was wondering if I needed to call.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:26 pm

A week or so I think. Automatic.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I've seen refunds take anywhere from 2 days to 2+ weeks. Thankfully, it is automatic since the phone reps usually don't know the policy.
Originally Posted by serpens
It just happened, and was on the account page on the web site the next time I logged it. I didn't pay attention, but I think it posted within a day or two.
Originally Posted by lkar

A week or so I think. Automatic.
Thanks. The prorated refund showed up today. I'm really happy overall as I've been able to take advantage of having the extra Freedom card as I'd maxed out the category spend for my original Freedom and it looks like I'll max this one as well before the quarter ends.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:51 am

Thanks. The prorated refund showed up today. I'm really happy overall as I've been able to take advantage of having the extra Freedom card as I'd maxed out the category spend for my original Freedom and it looks like I'll max this one as well before the quarter ends.
Yup. That’s what we did. An easy extra 7,500 points for $45 using Apple Pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.