Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:57 am

It is time for this household to make our move.....before I do this I want to ensure I have this correct after hours of research.

I have: CSR - opened prior to May 2017 - has about 150,000 UR points on it now - annual fee hit statement 2/1/18.
Wife has CSR which we will keep as we like the extended benefits.

1. I should go spend $300 in travel to get the credit.
2. Once the Travel Credit posts - make the move to:.
Option 1: Move all points to spouses account and close.
Option 2: Apply for CSP - 50,000 sign up bonus. Move UR to that account and close
Option 3: Downgrade to CSP.

Option 1 and 2: have to be done within 30 days of 2/1 fee post
Option 3: has to be done within 60 days of 2/1 fee post

Do I have this correct?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:12 am

About $15K spend. No offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by mdurette
It is time for this household to make our move.....before I do this I want to ensure I have this correct after hours of research.

I have: CSR - opened prior to May 2017 - has about 150,000 UR points on it now - annual fee hit statement 2/1/18.
Wife has CSR which we will keep as we like the extended benefits.

1. I should go spend $300 in travel to get the credit.
2. Once the Travel Credit posts - make the move to:.
Option 1: Move all points to spouses account and close.
Option 2: Apply for CSP - 50,000 sign up bonus. Move UR to that account and close
Option 3: Downgrade to CSP.

Option 1 and 2: have to be done within 30 days of 2/1 fee post
Option 3: has to be done within 60 days of 2/1 fee post

Do I have this correct?
I'm assuming you know this, but you've had since sometime in December to use your travel credit. Also, Option 2 is not viable as you are not eligible to be approved for a CSP until next year.

I would recommend Option 4: downgrade to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I would recommend Option 4: downgrade to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.
I agree with you regarding Option 4. And at the risk of stating the obvious, OP should also do Option 1.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm gonna run out an get Marriott gift card this afternoon to get that $300 travel credit done.

But...curious on Option 4 that you created.
Why would I downgrade to Freedom or Freedom unlimited.
Wouldn't I be better off with the Saphire preferred to maintain the UR account? O
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you downgrade your Sapphire Reserve to Freedom or Unlimited the points will be preserved, the annual fee will be zero, and you can Combine your points with your wife's account for redemption:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html

Problems Combining UR points between accounts
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Approx. $10,000 spend mostly travel, no offer. Will keep this card. May consider downgrading next year.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:24 am

I'm gonna run out an get Marriott gift card this afternoon to get that $300 travel credit done.

Wouldn't I be better off with the Saphire preferred to maintain the UR account? O
As mia wrote, your UR account will be alive and well with either Freedom product.

I'm wondering about the first part of your post. Do you know for certain Marriott sells gift cards at the hotel front desk?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

In addition to what others have mentioned, you will not be able to obtain a CSR if you downgrade to a CSP. Chase only allows you to hold one Sapphire product at a time....that's another reason you'd need to downgrade to CF or CFU.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Am I thinking about this in the best way?

Right now I have CSR and CIP; wife has CSR, CIP, Regular Freedom

All the annual fees are due either this or next month. All the 2018 travel credit has been spent. Too soon to apply for a CSP bonus for either of us.

My thought is to keep the CSR for myself. That gives us access to 1.5x for UR direct booking, trip delay coverage for both of us, and I occasionally use the lounge benefit.
We then keep CIP and Freedom for wife. That lets us continue to accumulate in Freedom 5x, CIP 3x, and have a conduit to get the points back to my CSR UR account. I can't think of a cheaper way to make her Freedom 5x transferable. (And I don't have anything available to product change from my side)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:34 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Right now I have CSR and CIP; wife has CSR, CIP, Regular Freedom
Which INK Preferred categories do you use enough to justify the $95 annual fee?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Which INK Preferred categories do you use enough to justify the $95 annual fee?
Hadn't thought of it that way. I'm right at $100 value from the extra 2x this year. Maybe I'm better off just orphaning the Freedom points for a year until she can get the CSR again? Or even trying for another CIP under EIN instead of SSN... hmm.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:05 pm
mia

I think you could change one INK Preferred to INK Cash which earns 5X at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services.

You can Combine points with your wife, only one of you needs an annual fee card with the Transfer feature for airline or hotel programs..

Last edited by mia; Feb 14, 2018 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
You can Combine points with your wife, only one of you needs an annual fee card with the Transfer feature for airline or hotel programs..
Then there's definitely no good reason to keep the CIP at that point. Thanks for that.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Hoping to get the expert's advice with my situation. Our AF came due on our CSR (spouse's) and CSP (conversion from a Fairmont card). Figured it's time to consolidate some of our UR-generating cards. Here is as summary of our cards:
Me
  • Chase Freedom (not Freedom unlimited), $0 AF
  • Chase Ink Business Plus, $95 AF
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred (conversion from Fairmont card), $95 AF billed 2/1
Spouse
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve (2018 $300 Travel Credit already redeemed, $450 AF billed 2/1)
A few other relevant points:
  • Combined UR balance = 880K points
  • I am well over 5/24. My spouse is under 5/24
  • Would like to preserve the ability to transfer UR points to airlines/hotels
  • Don't need the Priority Pass that comes with CSR, as one of us (me) already has that with Citi Prestige AND Amex Plat
  • I like getting GC's and prepaid cards (when on sale) at office supply stores using Ink 5x
Which cards should I keep/downgrade/close?

Thanks,
Bostonbali

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.