Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, think this is an appropriate place to ask.

We are going to call and cancel wife's card (AF hits next month). Card is paid off, but there is still about ~10,000 points on her account. I understand that there should be 30 days after cancellation to use (or transfer) the points, but banker today said that's not the case. Can anyone shed light on this?

Now another slight complication...appears there is a fraudulent charge on this card now...small $2 charge from ATT tech support from yesterday pending. Anyone know if the card can be closed while the dispute is being settled? This is quite unfortunate...not sure if something bigger is going on, or if its a 'when it rains, it pours' situation, but my wife just had her Chase UA card replaced because of fraudulent use, like 3 weeks ago, maybe.

Originally Posted by 9thSense
Instead of keeping 2 CSR cards in the family isn't it better to downgrade 1 and add that person as AU to the other? It costs $75 instead of $150.
Yes, IMO. That's what we might do - I'm keeping mine, but might add wife as an AU.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
What is the case for keeping two Reserve cards rather than pairing Reserve with Citi Prestige, American Express Platinum or one of the me too cards from smaller issuers?
I have the same questions as our household only keeps one CSR because we like to have an AMEX Plat due to better rental car claim experiences, better purchase protection claim experiences, as well as additional benefit to use Centurion, and DL lounges while flying DL - they are usually far better than PP domestic lounges. Finally but not insignificantly, there is still that Ameriprise version of Plat available.

Worth mentioning is the Citi Prestige has a much better trip interruption coverage as their requirement on the delay is much shorter. The lesser known automatic price rewind protection benefit at times can be quite useful and it is automatic.

Originally Posted by mia
That's a refund of your own money, and it's already taken into account comparing the net cost of Sapphire Reserve (450-300=$150) to the cost of an Authorized User ($75).
I am amazed by so many rave about the $300 travel credit while it is indeed one's own money and not something the issuer gives to you as an extra.

You have to give it to the marketing depts - they really understand the psychology hence all the gimmicks instead of just offering a flat $150 AF card instead because consumers can be quite gullible even though they are intelligent enough in other areas but once it comes to something disguised as "free money", many just lost the ability to see thru the cover.
bigbuy and Statman like this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 14, 2017 at 5:05 pm Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
... about ~10,000 points on her account... I'm keeping mine....
Use the Combine Points feature to move the points from her card to your card. You can do this yourself, online:

Combine UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated] .
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:13 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
That's a refund of your own money, and it's already taken into account comparing the net cost of Sapphire Reserve (450-300=$150) to the cost of an Authorized User ($75).
Not to give Chase any ideas, but I could see Chase raising the AU fee for this very reason.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:17 am
RNE

We've seen many accounts of people trying to get Chase to refund all or part of the AF, but has anyone tired with the AU fee?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
You have to give it to the marketing depts - they really understand the psychology hence all the gimmicks instead of just offering a flat $150 AF card instead because consumers can be quite gullible even though they are intelligent enough in other areas but once it comes to something disguised as "free money", many just lost the ability to see thru the cover.
I agree completely, and would also point out the similar "Save $nn" gimmick so common in retail. I'm not interested in how much I save, I'm interested in how much I spend. This is on my mind because I just saw a brochure that told me I could save $160 but nowhere mentioned how much I would spend, that is, the actual price of the item in question. The implicit assumption is that the item is priced fairly rather than priced $160 (or more) above fairly.

Sorry for the digression. Happy touched a nerve.
Rare and Statman like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
No wonder there are no retention offers

Name:  Sapphire.png
Views: 2174
Size:  212.1 KB
khlay, vg247 and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

It's interesting to me that a few folks have actually gotten retention offers. I sort of wonder what made them different from everyone else. Perhaps other significant business relationships with Chase that the bank didn't want to risk.
As more reports roll in I think it would be interesting to see if there is any difference between Orucate Client customers and everyone else.
I'm a private client and my AF should post in the next few weeks. Will report back on what happens. I've probably put something like $25k on the card but don't know exactly offhand.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:06 pm

i downgraded to CSP, don't like the fact that it will take up to 2 billing cycles to refund the fee, had 160k pts, transrerred 75 to KE, didn't like the other airline options right now or would have cancelled
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by txpenny
No wonder there are no retention offers

Attachment 41877
How did you get that year end review?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by loon22
Sent by mail to, presumably, all CSR holders. Mine arrived about a month prior to what would have been the second annual fee date.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by loon22
Email. Wife got one as well.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:04 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by bernyx
i downgraded to CSP, don't like the fact that it will take up to 2 billing cycles to refund the fee, had 160k pts, transrerred 75 to KE, didn't like the other airline options right now or would have cancelled
"Right now"? Do you anticipate more options?

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Sent by mail to, presumably, all CSR holders. Mine arrived about a month prior to what would have been the second annual fee date.
Ditto. Mine arrived at the turn of August into September. That timing (and the fact my first AF posted on 10/01/2016) made me expect the second AF to post on 10/1/2017. But no.

RNE, wishfully thinking Chase forgot to bill me.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:56 pm

I downgraded my CSR to a CSP today. When I did, I asked the rep if I got cold feet and wanted to switch back to CSR in a few months she told me that that would not be guaranteed. Anyone else receive similar feedback?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RNE
"Right now"? Do you anticipate more options?

Ditto. Mine arrived at the turn of August into September. That timing (and the fact my first AF posted on 10/01/2016) made me expect the second AF to post on 10/1/2017. But no.

RNE, wishfully thinking Chase forgot to bill me.
The statement a couple of months before your AF is due usually has a note that advises you that the AF will post on the first of the month in a subsequent month. If it didn't post on that date then you're lucky and won't see it post this year. This can happen for several reasons, which are discussed in other threads such as Ritz and JPMR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.