Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
CSR--downgrade or drop?

Hi, I've researched and can't find much on this topic. Please help.

Wife's CSR is up for AF next month. I don't see us using UR booking advantage or Club option enough to offset difference between annual fee and travel credit. She has Freedom card and recently had CSP. I have Ink, Ink$ and Freedom Unlimited. We will keep all of mine.

Trying to decide whether to downgrade or cancel and simply start the 24 month clock? Best downgrade option is Sapphire since neither of us has the card. But wondering if better option isn't simply to cancel her out of Chase and re-start 24 month clock? Any suggestions based on your own experience and decisions?

Thank you.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
Hi, I've researched and can't find much on this topic. Please help.

Wife's CSR is up for AF next month. I don't see us using UR booking advantage or Club option enough to offset difference between annual fee and travel credit. She has Freedom card and recently had CSP. I have Ink, Ink$ and Freedom Unlimited. We will keep all of mine.

Trying to decide whether to downgrade or cancel and simply start the 24 month clock? Best downgrade option is Sapphire since neither of us has the card. But wondering if better option isn't simply to cancel her out of Chase and re-start 24 month clock? Any suggestions based on your own experience and decisions?

Thank you.
The "24 month clock" starts upon receipt of your last Sapphire card bonus...not when a Sapphire card is closed. You won't be approved for a Sapphire card until 24 months after the receipt of your last Sapphire bonus (according to the written guidance.)

You can have more than one Freedom card and that's what many people seem to do - in order to take advantage of the 5x categories with two different cards.

Keep in mind also that one is precluded from having more than one Sapphire card at a time. If you downgrade to the "regular" Sapphire, you still can't apply for another Sapphire card until you no longer have that card.

I'd suggest downgrading to another Freedom or close it outright.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Trooper: No, not CPC.

Last edited by CMH Jay; Sep 6, 2017 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by jayjayjay
how do you guys know how much you have spent last year?
For all sorts of reasons (not least that I have so many travel credit cards and am allergic to paying interest on them) I keep track of all my finances through Quicken. I just call up the credit card account, and can quickly organize the data to show me my spend the last 12 months, or ytd, or this quarter, or what have you.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Confused as you say "AF for CSR dropped 9/1" but then say they would not help you. Can you clarify this?
Maybe using "dropped" was confusing - if so, sorry.

The AF posted to my account on 9/1. I called and they were unwilling/unable to rebate any part of the AF.

As I said, I wasn't surprised (or upset), but I figured it was worth a try.

Last edited by CMH Jay; Sep 6, 2017 at 6:57 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CMH Jay
For all sorts of reasons (not least that I have so many travel credit cards and am allergic to paying interest on them) I keep track of all my finances through Quicken. I just call up the credit card account, and can quickly organize the data to show me my spend the last 12 months, or ytd, or this quarter, or what have you.
+1 on quicken. Been using it for years. It's great to keep track of keeping track of spend requirements on my cards that have them (i.e. the spend for my Delta card for the MQM boost and seeing how close I am to the quarterly $1,500 cutoff on bonus categories on my chase freedom and discover).

Something else I find quicken great for as a frequent traveler is if I am in a city and go to a restaurant I really enjoy I put the city code and followed by an * in the memo field and when I return to the city run a search on that criteria if I forget the name of the place.
jjmiller69 and CMH Jay like this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by pallhedge
For those that got the CSR when it was first released: if your plan is to downgrade to avoid the impending annual fee, I recommend you wait. Pay the AF and keep the card until your 2018 travel credit becomes available. Monetize the credit, then downgrade. The $300 credit plus the pro-rated AF refund will exceed the $450 you lay out now.

I wrote up the full details here: http://pointsyak.com/credit-cards/do...e-reserve-yet/
Posted today on the Chase Sapphire Reserve Megathread at r/churning:

"Spoke to CSR who said that they are giving only 30 days to credit back the AF on the CSR if you cancel the card, and 60 days to credit it back if you downgrade. The rep said they are not pro-rating the annual fee back if it is greater than 60 days from when you decide to downgrade."

If accurate, this appears to be a change in policy to partially combat the strategy outlined in your blog post. (Affects primarily the cardmembers with a 1 September anniversary date.)
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:09 am

Husbands CSR AF will come due this month. I have CSR but if we close his, he will only have Freedom Card. I have transferred all his URs to my account. If we close his CSR (which we would like to do), can we transfer any credits earned on his Freedom card to my account or will he only have the cash back option available if he has not card earning URs?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by profpeabody
Husbands CSR AF will come due this month. I have CSR but if we close his, he will only have Freedom Card. I have transferred all his URs to my account. If we close his CSR (which we would like to do), can we transfer any credits earned on his Freedom card to my account or will he only have the cash back option available if he has not card earning URs?
You will be able to transfer his Freedom UR's to your CSR as long as you both have the same address.
profpeabody likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:20 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
After being as generous as they were with the launch and product offerings, does anyone really expect Chase to offer any sort of retention bonus for the CSR? I certainly do nt.
You are as wise as you are old, my friend. But you know I'm going to go down swinging.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:23 am
RNE

Originally Posted by profpeabody
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
You will be able to transfer his Freedom UR's to your CSR as long as you both have the same address.
Bang on! My wife does this routinely. But is the same-address caveat hard and fast?
profpeabody likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Hi Diplomatico, thanks for the reminder about the 24 month clock related to the bonus. I had forgotten that point. Thank you for your insight.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The "24 month clock" starts upon receipt of your last Sapphire card bonus...not when a Sapphire card is closed. You won't be approved for a Sapphire card until 24 months after the receipt of your last Sapphire bonus (according to the written guidance.)

You can have more than one Freedom card and that's what many people seem to do - in order to take advantage of the 5x categories with two different cards.

Keep in mind also that one is precluded from having more than one Sapphire card at a time. If you downgrade to the "regular" Sapphire, you still can't apply for another Sapphire card until you no longer have that card.

I'd suggest downgrading to another Freedom or close it outright.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:47 pm

Thanks so much for the info. I will downgrade him to a Freedom Unlimited and transfer the points as they collect.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:26 pm

Honestly, the only way I see Chase offering a reduction to the annual fee is if a customer has AT LEAST 100,000 of 1x (non-dining or travel) spend. Even if you spend a ton, if it's mostly on dining or travel, Chase knows that you're better off keeping the card than canceling it, so there's no reason for them to offer anything.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:25 pm

When the AF is due, and assuming I want to keep the card another year, is there a new annual $300 travel credit too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.