FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1859044-chase-sapphire-reserve-renewal-retention.html)

mia Aug 17, 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 28702590)
I just received a flyer ....

I assume it's similar to the one depicted in post 71? (I moved your post, and some others, from the Sapphire Reserve application thread to this dedicated discussion of renewal issues.)

Xyzzy Aug 17, 2017 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28702680)
I assume it's similar to the one depicted in post 71? (I moved your post, and some others, from the Sapphire Reserve application thread to this dedicated discussion of renewal issues.)

Yes - same mailer. But I saved quite a bit m:pre in FX fees...

TechBBBFan Aug 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk (Post 28658443)
I love my CSR and will renew my card when the time comes in March of next year. With the $300 TC, I see the card as having $150 AF. That itself pays for the primary insurance on car rentals and additional guests when using Priority Pass lounge. The 3x on travel and dining and 50% more value when redeeming on the UR website also good ^

ps: I also have the Amex Plat to access the Centurion and Delta lounges.

Agreed. Since it's only $55 more than the Preferred, I come out ahead if the extra 1 Ur on travel and dining earns me 3,667 UR points. I spent far more than that on travel and dining each year.

wco81 Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Any word on benefits being removed, like PP?

mia Aug 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 28703194)
... benefits being removed, like PP?

No. Priority Pass in an inexpensive me too benefit which they need to keep if they want to position Reserve as a $450 card rather than a $155 card.

They could save money without formally reducing benefits by changing the service providers for insurance, concierge, travel portal, etc.

khlay Aug 17, 2017 2:17 pm

I like both sign-up bonus and CSR. I'll make sure we have two CSR at all time (either CSR+AU or two CSR) and can get signup bonus every few years. To achieve this, I'll probably PC my card, keep my wife's and add myself as AU for now.
We did this to CSP before. Average CSP holding was a little bit more than two years.

ponickka Aug 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Has anyone called or got a retention for the Reserve card?

pallhedge Aug 25, 2017 7:11 am

For those that got the CSR when it was first released: if your plan is to downgrade to avoid the impending annual fee, I recommend you wait. Pay the AF and keep the card until your 2018 travel credit becomes available. Monetize the credit, then downgrade. The $300 credit plus the pro-rated AF refund will exceed the $450 you lay out now.

I wrote up the full details here: http://pointsyak.com/credit-cards/do...e-reserve-yet/

khlay Aug 25, 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge (Post 28734275)

Thanks for the article. Tried to post the reply over there but got an error. " This site can’t be reached"

So here is my question.

My situation is a little different. I'm also confused by the calendar year to anniversary change for travel credit. Here are some key dates for me.
Applied 1/11/17
Approved don't know, not instant approval
First AF posted 02/01/17
Travel credit posted 02/02/17
First statement closing date 02/10/17
Statement closing date changed to 8th for personal accounting preference.
Will I have credit reset on both 1/1/18 and ~1/11/18?
If yes, what's the spending time frame for first reset?
Thanks,

Critterlynn Aug 25, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by khlay (Post 28735072)
Thanks for the article. Tried to post the reply over there but got an error. " This site can’t be reached"

So here is my question.

My situation is a little different. I'm also confused by the calendar year to anniversary change for travel credit. Here are some key dates for me.
Applied 1/11/17
First AF posted 02/01/17
Thanks,

You applied before they made the change to anniversary year. Since your statement ending date is on the 8th of the month, you will be able to start using your 2018 travel credit on Dec 9th since this billing period will end in 2018. And no, you will not be able to get another travel credit on your 1 year anniversary.

pallhedge Aug 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by khlay (Post 28735072)

So here is my question.

Applied 1/11/17
First AF posted 02/01/17
Thanks,

My article targeted early applicants to the Sapphire Reserve. Your situation is similar to my own. We won't be able to take advantage of the strategy I described. The answers you got from Critterlynn are spot on.

MNSWEEps Aug 27, 2017 10:21 am

how long do we have to cancel the reserve card once the AF hits?

mia Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ee-billed.html

...but review the thread, not only its Title.

loomis Aug 27, 2017 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 28735292)
You applied before they made the change to anniversary year. Since your statement ending date is on the 8th of the month, you will be able to start using your 2018 travel credit on Dec 9th since this billing period will end in 2018. And no, you will not be able to get another travel credit on your 1 year anniversary.

When did Chase make the change to anniversary year? I signed up for the CSR in 11/'16, BTW.

Thanks!

mia Aug 27, 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by loomis (Post 28741994)
When did Chase make the change to anniversary year? !

May 21, 2017 it says here: http://pointsyak.com/credit-cards/do...e-reserve-yet/