Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, I know I can see my statements via PDF online, but I thought we were talking about that annual summary, which is not available online, as far as I can see.

Anyway, my October statement is now available and there is no AF on it ^, nor is there any message about an AF upcoming. ^
Check your August and September statements and see if there is a notice. If there is and you're past that date then you're golden.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:57 pm
RNE

Never mind.

Last edited by RNE; Oct 18, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We hope you enjoy all the benefits your card has to offer and we appreciate your business. Your annual membership fee in the amount of $450.00 will be billed on 11/01/2017.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am not sure bernyx is given the correct information from the CS.

The term is 30 days after fee is billed, not 30 days of the statement date.

AMEX actually has the same term but AMEX bills the AF on the statement closing date so it essentially coincide with the next statement closing date and that inadvertently led people think statement date is the base of the clock starting point.

Since Chase has a fixed AF billing date which is always the first of each month, it really does not relate to the statement closing date at all.
I were the poster I would use the BILLED DATE for the 30 days count. Better yet, send an SM to get a COMMITMENT in writing from Chase so to cover yourself for any mishap down the road.
yes, they gave me the wrong information, I downgraded card on oct 14 or 15, they told me I had until 10/16 for a full refund, I only got refunded $412,
if they don't refund the remainder I will close all my accts.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bernyx
yes, they gave me the wrong information, I downgraded card on oct 14 or 15, they told me I had until 10/16 for a full refund, I only got refunded $412,
if they don't refund the remainder I will close all my accts.
You'd close all of your accounts over $38.00? Something about cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind. Perhaps there are better courses of action, huh?
Statman, RNE, jjmiller69 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You'd close all of your accounts over $38.00? Something about cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind. Perhaps there are better courses of action, huh?
like what better course?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
like what better course?
Writing off the 38 bucks.
Statman and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Writing off the 38 bucks.
dont really need their accts, I think they will refund it anyway if they listen to the recorded call after I ask them too
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It depends - if the poster does not need any of his CURRENT Chase cards, then there is nothing to lose. He closes all his existing cards do NOT mean he would not apply any new Chase card in the future should the conditions fit.

dont really need their accts, I think they will refund it anyway if they listen to the recorded call after I ask them too
There you go.

In a way I am glad you come back to bring up my previous post to WARN people about what the phone rep said while mia and a few others considers the statement date is the one to be used, with the interpretation that the fee technically is not billed until statement closes.

Unfortunately apparently Chase system is not designed the way being interpreted.

Your unpleasant real life experience proves the warning is unfortunately correct.

Please let us know on the final outcome. I do think you should stand up and get back the $38 as that is what you are told - the FULL refund of AF, not a partial refund. I dont agree with others' opinion that you should "eat" the $38 just because (fill in the blank). The customer made a decision based on what was told him by the bank's CS reps, the customer should NOT be punished because the rep told the customer wrong information. It is a matter of principle. The bank should be held accountable. Though of course you would need to look at whether your time and effort to get back the money owed you is worth it or not, but should not be based on "keeping a good relationship with Chase". The latter is nonsense in this situation.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:46 pm

It depends - if the poster does not need any of his CURRENT Chase cards, then there is nothing to lose. He closes all his existing cards do NOT mean he would not apply any new Chase card in the future should the conditions fit.

There you go.

In a way I am glad you come back to bring up my previous post to WARN people about what the phone rep said while mia and a few others considers the statement date is the one to be used, with the interpretation that the fee technically is not billed until statement closes.

Unfortunately apparently Chase system is not designed the way being interpreted.

Your unpleasant real life experience proves the warning is unfortunately correct.

Please let us know on the final outcome. I do think you should stand up and get back the $38 as that is what you are told - the FULL refund of AF, not a partial refund. I dont agree with others' opinion that you should "eat" the $38 just because (fill in the blank). The customer made a decision based on what was told him by the bank's CS reps, the customer should NOT be punished because the rep told the customer wrong information. It is a matter of principle. The bank should be held accountable. Though of course you would need to look at whether your time and effort to get back the money owed you is worth it or not, but should not be based on "keeping a good relationship with Chase". The latter is nonsense in this situation.
thank you, my last communication was that they would refund the remainder over the next 2 billing cycles. Why they were able to refund the 412 right away I don't know. Actually what I meant when I said I didn['t need the accounts, was my checking and savings. I downgraded to the CSP only because I wanted to wait to do an airline transfer for some of the points
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you, my last communication was that they would refund the remainder over the next 2 billing cycles. Why they were able to refund the 412 right away I don't know. Actually what I meant when I said I didn['t need the accounts, was my checking and savings. I downgraded to the CSP only because I wanted to wait to do an airline transfer for some of the points
The $418 refund is automatically handled by the system which determines the 30 days is from the BILLED Date as shown on your activity, not the statement closing date as being "technically" billed date. Therefore the system classified your refund has passed the 30 days from BILLED date, thus only a pro-rata refund (used up the 1st month. $37.50 rounded to $38).

The $38 they now promised to refund due to you being mis-informed by the phone rep, would be handled MANUALLY. How that works, I have no idea though I think it should be just as quick, ONCE it has gone thru the necessary departments / approval process. How long it takes to go thru the channels would be anyone's guess. Just keep an eye on your account in coming days. You might see the refund showing up sooner than 2 billing cycles.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:33 pm

The $418 refund is automatically handled by the system which determines the 30 days is from the BILLED Date as shown on your activity, not the statement closing date as being "technically" billed date. Therefore the system classified your refund has passed the 30 days from BILLED date, thus only a pro-rata refund (used up the 1st month. $37.50 rounded to $38).

The $38 they now promised to refund due to you being mis-informed by the phone rep, would be handled MANUALLY. How that works, I have no idea though I think it should be just as quick, ONCE it has gone thru the necessary departments / approval process. How long it takes to go thru the channels would be anyone's guess. Just keep an eye on your account in coming days. You might see the refund showing up sooner than 2 billing cycles.
whatever the case, they probably need to add another airline transfer partner, a couple of the ones they have are either 2 difficult to get a flight or need too any miles for a long haul Bus class seat
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would definitely keep the CSR if I did not already have a JPM Reserve fka Palladium. IMO the benefits are well worth $150/yr. But the JPM-R has the exact same benefits plus a UC membership, so the choice is a no-brainer.

The CSR is probably the best CC deal I've ever received: for $450 AF I got $600 back in travel credits + 130k Chase UR. Tremendous ^
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
whatever the case, they probably need to add another airline transfer partner, a couple of the ones they have are either 2 difficult to get a flight or need too any miles for a long haul Bus class seat
Suppose you can't please everyone.

The CSR is IMO the best card for earning over the widest variety of spend. Pair it with a Citi card and an Amex and you ought to be earning at least 2x on virtually all spend and have all the transfer partners, especially since some of them accept transfers from all the main 3 transferrable programs.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would definitely keep the CSR if I did not already have a JPM Reserve fka Palladium. IMO the benefits are well worth $150/yr. But the JPM-R has the exact same benefits plus a UC membership, so the choice is a no-brainer.

The CSR is probably the best CC deal I've ever received: for $450 AF I got $600 back in travel credits + 130k Chase UR. Tremendous ^
That should only work for the first year for those applied before the policy changed in May 2017.

I cannot see anyone can repeat what you claimed above in the SECOND year.
Remember this is the Renewal and Retention thread of CSR - hence the merit is based on Renewal after the 1st anniversary.

Else we would NOT have this thread and the discussion that is focused on Renewal and Retention if it were the way you claimed how that worked.

If it works for you like what you claim, then you probably are the only one have the secret sauce.

Please enlighten us just how you can accomplish "for $450 AF I got $600 back in travel credits + 130k Chase UR. Tremendous ^ " from the 2nd year onward?

I am sure all of us reading this "Renewal and Retention" thread would LOVE to learn how that works.
bbriscoe34 likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 22, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.