Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I got the same information (30 days redemption window) over the phone from a CS rep.
I do have a UA MP Explorer account open. so I am wondering, if this would be a safe haven for the remaining points from the soon-to-be-closed CSR card?
You will not be able to transfer UR points to a UA MPE card account.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moe8555
I don't understand... did you intend to cancel the card or did they misinterpret your request?
Probably misinterpreted the request.

The secure message was read by a customer service rep in another country whose first language isn't English. They have a couple of minutes to understand and respond and/or act on the message. Taking that into consideration and factoring the time one has to process all this information, you get the result that the poster received.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:23 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You will not be able to transfer UR points to a UA MPE card account.
I think he means he will convert his UR points into United miles.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Statman
CSR is advertising a lower points bonus because they got killed by those who took the 100k bonus and then cut and run.

Not only that they reported that fewer cardmembers than expected have been paying financing charges, which is a way that issuers make a lot of their money. That's not surprising at all because most churners don't carry balances.
I would hope that most people -- especially non-churners -- who can afford $450+ in an annual credit card fee don't need to pay much (or anything) in the way of credit card financing charges.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I do have a UA MP Explorer account open. so I am wondering, if this would be a safe haven for the remaining points from the soon-to-be-closed CSR card?
You can transfer your UR points to Mileage Plus, or any other transfer partner, but holding the UA co-branded card does not extend the period of time to make the transfer.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:58 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
Nothing so drastic. I'm going to point out my total spend on Chase cards, and then suggest that loyalty deserves some consideration in offsetting my CSR annual fee. But you're right; I do expect to have to present my position to a supervisor. Wish me luck.
Still no annual fee posted to my account. Also statement hasn't closed. Idiotically, I'm looking forward to the fee because I'm champing at the bit to get it waived.

RNE, confiding that it's always an honor to quote a post by the smartest person on Flyertalk.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:45 pm

A friend of mine has called CSR hotline multiple times begging for a Retention Offer and although so far still no luck, in his last conversation, the Rep admitted that some CSR holders are offered Retention Offers. My friend was told to call back a few days after the AF gets posted to see if he could get it waived.

I was issued a $450 Credit before the 2nd year AF gets charged (and someone else here too) but that doesn't mean that all hope is gone for everybody else. Try calling Chase again after the AF gets posted. My friend is going to do the same.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I know it's not in the spirit of the place, but having received 100K UR and $600 in travel credits for the first year annual fee, using CSR + Freedom + Freedom Unlimited to earn 1.5/3/5 on most of my ongoing spend, and having GE renewal due next year, I'll willingly pay the annual fee without even trying a call. Next year may be different, but for now I'm more worried that they'll devalue than I am about the annual fee.
Rare, Xyzzy, Statman and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:59 am

I use CSR as my primary card for travel and dining and the rep will notice this when I call to get the annual fee waived. I just hit on my last statement. I imagine a retention deal is offered to people who use the card rarely.

But I agree with the guy above me, I feel an annual fee of $150 (after travel credit) is worth it consider the ongoing value of this card.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bmwclubracer
I imagine a retention deal is offered to people who use the card rarely.
Why would Chase have any interest in retaining a customer who isn't using the card?
Statman, RNE, krazykanuck and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WrightHI
I know it's not in the spirit of the place, but having received 100K UR and $600 in travel credits for the first year annual fee, using CSR + Freedom + Freedom Unlimited to earn 1.5/3/5 on most of my ongoing spend, and having GE renewal due next year, I'll willingly pay the annual fee without even trying a call. Next year may be different, but for now I'm more worried that they'll devalue than I am about the annual fee.
Well put.

If I called, it would be less about a fee waiver and more about the problems people have reported with hotel reservations (both actually existing and refund policies), plane tickets (wrong class and refund policies), lounge access, and customer service; these things should not be problematic with premium card. In other words, I'm happy with what the card is supposed to provide at the price Chase charges, but I'm concerned about running into problems using the alleged benefits.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Well put.

If I called, it would be less about a fee waiver and more about the problems people have reported with hotel reservations (both actually existing and refund policies), plane tickets (wrong class and refund policies), lounge access, and customer service; these things should not be problematic with premium card. In other words, I'm happy with what the card is supposed to provide at the price Chase charges, but I'm concerned about running into problems using the alleged benefits.
Agree. Will opt for better service than fee waiver if there is a choice. One thing might drive away from this card is the AU spending is not distinguishable.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Statman
CSR is a money pit for Chase. Not surprised at all to see them allow people to cancel immediately.
Actually this is doing Chase a favor. They want people to cancel. I guess what I am saying is that I agree 100%
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
So has anyone gotten a retention bonus or the AF waived?

What were the details? What did you get, what was your yearly spend, what is your credit line etc.

Fill us in so we can see who is and is not getting this. My guess is most are not so very interested in those who are.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
So has anyone gotten a retention bonus or the AF waived?

What were the details? What did you get, what was your yearly spend, what is your credit line etc.

Fill us in so we can see who is and is not getting this. My guess is most are not so very interested in those who are.
For which card, the Plat or the CSR? There are specific threads about retention offers.

CSR: Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Amex: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.