Chase SWA card change closing date.

Old Jul 11, 17, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Chase SWA card change closing date.

I thought I read this somewhere but can't remember for sure...

Can you change the statement closing date for your card? For instance it closes on the 23rd but I'd like it to be the 15th? Is this possible?
Thanks
Old Jul 11, 17, 1:18 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I do not have a Southwest card, but I can change the closing date for all of the Chase cards that I do have. You don't change the closing date directly, instead you change the payment due date, which is 25 days later for personal cards. I have all my personal Chase cards set to close on the 3rd, due on 28th. To close on the 15th you would probably choose 10th as a due date, but wait for someone to confirm before making a change, if the exact date is important.

To make the change:
Login to chase.com
Choose the card account you want to change
Click: Things you can do > Update Settings & Preferences > Payment Due Date.

The change is not effective until the next billing cycle.

Last edited by mia; Jul 11, 17 at 1:39 pm
Old Jul 11, 17, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I do not have a Southwest card, but I can change the closing date for all of the Chase cards that I do have. You don't change the closing date directly, instead you change the payment due date, which is 25 days later for personal cards. I have all my personal Chase cards set to close on the 3rd, due on 28th. To close on the 15th you would probably choose 10th as a due date, but wait for someone to confirm before to make the change, if the exact date is important.

To make the change:
Login to chase.com

Dang. I was hoping I could get them close it early as I've already done the required spend and the sooner it closes the sooner I get my CP.
Thanks
Old Jul 11, 17, 3:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I do not have a Southwest card, but I can change the closing date for all of the Chase cards that I do have. You don't change the closing date directly, instead you change the payment due date, which is 25 days later for personal cards. I have all my personal Chase cards set to close on the 3rd, due on 28th. To close on the 15th you would probably choose 10th as a due date, but wait for someone to confirm before making a change, if the exact date is important.

To make the change:
Login to chase.com

The statement ending date and the payment due date are usually 3 days apart. Yours is different because one is at the beginning and one is at the end of the month. In Chase's eyes, day's 29, 30 and 31 don't exist since these days do not exist in every month. This is because they are required to keep your payment due date the same every month. As far as the 25 days is concerned, that is the minimum. It will very depending on how many days are in the month.

The OP will need to change her payment due date to the 12th if she wants the statement to end on the 15th. The change may take one billing cycle to complete and usually will extend your current cycle a little longer, not shorten it like the OP had hoped.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Jul 11, 17 at 3:34 pm
Old Jul 11, 17, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Dang. I was hoping I could get them close it early as I've already done the required spend and the sooner it closes the sooner I get my CP.
Thanks
How new is the card and have you had your first billing cycle end yet? If not, what does it show for you next payment due date?
Old Jul 13, 17, 10:08 am

any datapoints on how long it takes after points post to account? i got mine in Jan but dont remember how many days it took. wondering when my wife can expect it after he points hit.

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that they issue them all one day a week or something, maybe tuesdays?
Old Oct 11, 17, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn View Post
The statement ending date and the payment due date are usually 3 days apart. Yours is different because one is at the beginning and one is at the end of the month. In Chase's eyes, day's 29, 30 and 31 don't exist since these days do not exist in every month. This is because they are required to keep your payment due date the same every month. As far as the 25 days is concerned, that is the minimum. It will very depending on how many days are in the month.

The OP will need to change her payment due date to the 12th if she wants the statement to end on the 15th. The change may take one billing cycle to complete and usually will extend your current cycle a little longer, not shorten it like the OP had hoped.
Great explanations! Just to make sure.....If I want to make the statement to close on the 1st, I will need to set the due date to the 26th. Is this correct? Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 17, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by lw7878 View Post
Great explanations! Just to make sure.....If I want to make the statement to close on the 1st, I will need to set the due date to the 26th. Is this correct? Thanks.
Probably but not quite 100% sure and I have no data points to confirm this. Doing this at the end/beginning of the month can be tricky. For all know Chase could make your statement close on the 28th and then you would be screwed. Unless you absolutely need a statement to end on the 1st, I suggest changing your payment due date to the 1st of the month and be satisfied with a 4th of the month closing date. This I know will work.
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:37 pm

That sounds good. FYI. My current due date is 25th and, therefore, the statement close date was set to 28th.

Edited: I forgot I could send SM to Chase so I did. They replied and said the statement close date will be the 1st of the month if I change the payment due date to the 26th.

Last edited by lw7878; Oct 13, 17 at 2:50 am
Old Sep 23, 18, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Iíve gotten myself confused about statement closing dates and what will be possible.

Letís say I want to apply for a new Chase card and want all of the spending to hit my co-branded program in 2019 (card issued for example: Southwest for Companion Pass or Hyatt for Globalist). Ideally Iíd like the closing date to be as early in December as possible Ė if the statement closes within the first week of December, then I can still get 3 weeks of holiday spend/charitable contributions/other year-end stuff on there which wonít post until 2019.

The problem with this is that I donít have any way of knowing what closing date Chase will assign me. Iíve had closing dates as early as 3 days after card approval! (I once got the first statement with an annual fee on it the same day that I get the related Marriott card in the mail.). But Iíve also had them assign a closing date almost a full month later.

So I think these are the possible scenarios Iím facing if I apply Sept 26:

A. Chase gives me a closing date between 10/1 and 10/9: Iím happy with this as it means my Dec statement will close by 12/9, which will give me at least a couple of weeks to complete my minimum spend by the time my 90 days is up on about Christmas day.
B. Chase gives me a closing date between 10/10 and 10/21: Iím OK with this, although it will mean pretty limited time in December to get spending done. BUT Ė assuming my payment due date is, for example, Nov 12 and the statement closes on Nov 15, what happens if I request a new payment due date of the 2ndof the month? Will Chase close the statement on Dec 5, giving me a new payment due date of Jan 2? I think it would effectively skip a Dec due date because they canít move the Dec due date up.
C. Chase gives me a closing date between 10/22 and 10/26: My December statement will close at about the same time my 90 days are up. I wonít be able to spend anything for my bonus spending so that it will be on the January statement. UNLESS it works as I described in (B) in which case I can request that the payment date be moved to the 2nd. So Iíd have my first payment due, say 11/23, but the next one not until Jan 2 with the next statement posting on Jan 5.

Am I spending way too much time worrying about this, or will any of the above scenarios be OK if I apply some time from about 9/26-10/1?

Last edited by ehallison; Sep 23, 18 at 1:20 pm Reason: format

Search this Thread
Search Engine: