Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes:
It may be harder with the obscure airlines, say Uzbekistan Airways, or something like that....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:26 am

Yeah, didn't say it would be easy. But the guide is pretty clear that they may (and are likely) to require that.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Oh boy, glad I found this thread - so I guess I'll submit a claim and receipts to AA first. Bad weather at DFW so we made our connection but our bags didn't. Lanai is not a fun place to not have your swimwear. The issue is I have to submit the claim to Chase within 20 days of the incident. It's been 5 days already (since the incident) and no response from AA (submitted two days ago). Anyone have any experience with AA in this regard?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Oh boy, glad I found this thread - so I guess I'll submit a claim and receipts to AA first. Bad weather at DFW so we made our connection but our bags didn't. Lanai is not a fun place to not have your swimwear. The issue is I have to submit the claim to Chase within 20 days of the incident. It's been 5 days already (since the incident) and no response from AA (submitted two days ago). Anyone have any experience with AA in this regard?
You have to start your claim within 20 days but don't need to supply all of the documents and claim form until 90 days. So if you hit day 18 just initiate a claim (in writing or through the web portal, takes 3 minutes) and then let it hang out while you wait for AA.

The big U.S. carriers are usually pretty good at compensating as they are required to by the DOT. If you sent them your receipts and your expenses were reasonable (i.e. new swimsuits, clothes, cell phone chargers) they should send you a check. Max is ~$3,500 for domestic flights, $1,500 for int'l.

The Chase insurance is only $100 / day.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
You have to start your claim within 20 days but don't need to supply all of the documents and claim form until 90 days. So if you hit day 18 just initiate a claim (in writing or through the web portal, takes 3 minutes) and then let it hang out while you wait for AA.

The big U.S. carriers are usually pretty good at compensating as they are required to by the DOT. If you sent them your receipts and your expenses were reasonable (i.e. new swimsuits, clothes, cell phone chargers) they should send you a check. Max is ~$3,500 for domestic flights, $1,500 for int'l.

The Chase insurance is only $100 / day.
Thanks! Yeah we ended up just buying one set of clothes and swimsuits, which was quite the adventure in Lanai. Didn't realize even basic goods are so hard to procure! Remembered our phone chargers in our carry-on at least, haha. Just curious what does the DOT require in terms of compensation? Somehow I've never pursued this with a US carrier before. Gotten lucky, I guess.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... what does the DOT require in terms of compensation? ....
https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...amaged-baggage

What are airlines’ responsibilities when your bag is delayed?

Airlines are required to compensate passengers for reasonable, verifiable, and actual incidental expenses that they may incur while their bags are delayed - subject to the maximum liability limits.

Airlines are not allowed to set an arbitrary daily amount for interim expenses. For example, an airline cannot have a policy that they will reimburse a passenger up to only $50 for each day that a passenger’s bag is delayed.
Domestic Baggage Liability

For DOMESTIC flights, the current maximum liability is capped at $3,500. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.

The maximum liability amount of $3,500 is set by a regulation.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:32 am

Thanks! Yeah we ended up just buying one set of clothes and swimsuits, which was quite the adventure in Lanai. Didn't realize even basic goods are so hard to procure! Remembered our phone chargers in our carry-on at least, haha. Just curious what does the DOT require in terms of compensation? Somehow I've never pursued this with a US carrier before. Gotten lucky, I guess.
It's not compensation, they have to reimburse you for actual expenses (assuming you checked your bags on time):

Airlines are required to compensate passengers for reasonable, verifiable, and actual incidental expenses that they may incur while their bags are delayed - subject to the maximum liability limits.

Airlines are not allowed to set an arbitrary daily amount for interim expenses. For example, an airline cannot have a policy that they will reimburse a passenger up to only $50 for each day that a passenger’s bag is delayed.
https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...amaged-baggage

Basically for domestic flights if you can show you needed it, that you needed it because your bag was delayed, it's not on the carrier's list of excluded things (like jewelry, etc.) and it's less than $3,500 they should cut you a check.

Note that that the rules are significantly different for int'l flights (incl domestic legs of int'l tickets). The limit is lower (~$1,500) but the exclusions are more narrow.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:34 am
mia

....experience with AA in this regard?
Discussion here:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:41 pm

Thank you all for the informative posts above. Turns out I'm dumb and didn't realize that because our last flight was with HA that we'd have to file a claim with HA, not AA. AA actually called us today to let us know this - very nice of them actually. Got in touch with HA today and they're going to reimburse us in full. So won't even have to deal with Chase ^
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA
Bag delayed/lost enroute to HKG (day 3)- best course of action?

Hello, it appears my bag never made it to HKG. I visited the CX baggage desk upon arrival and filed a property irregularity report. They compensated me some cash on the spot for emergency expenses which I took. I hope I haven't given up any rights by taking that compensation? The form doesn't appear to state anything to that effect at least.

Regarding my flight, I booked it using my Sapphire Reserve and it appears they cover up to $3000 but only $500 for watches, jewelry. My work apparently also has travel baggage insurance but I believe they only cover $500-$1000.

The value of my luggage is around $1500 and the contents are again probably at least another $1500. Should the bag truly end up lost, I take it I should file directly with Chase which seems to provide the maximum coverage? Or might there be a prudent way about it?

Granted it's still only day 3 and CX is still looking for the bag, but should I be taking any specific action now including asking for compensation from either CX, my company's insurance or Chase? I have so far used up my initial cash they had provided and have also purchased some clothes and replacement emergency items (chargers, etc..).
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:50 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve Lost baggage claim problem

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Here is the situation: While in France, my daughter took a OUIBUS bus from Paris to Brest last April. The ticket was purchased with my Sapphire Preferred card. When she arrived at her destination, her suitcase (stowed in cargo of bus) was missing. She filed a claim with OUIBUS, the carrier, within 24 hours of the loss. The response from Ouibus to her claim was essentially telling her to wait 2 weeks and if she heard nothing, the luggage was lost and not likely to be found. I could not find any information about any compensation from the carrier so I filed a claim through my sapphire card (via Eclaimsline). I submitted copies of the ticket, invoice, and the claim she filed online with the carrier. I was asked for receipts for the lost bag contents, which I also submitted. Eclaimsline requested additional documentation from Ouibus stating that they did not offer or pay any compensation for the loss. They also took issue with the fact that the original ticket and invoice from Ouibus did not display the last 4 digits of the credit card used for the purchase (despite the fact that the exact amount, on the exact date, from the exact carrier was clearly documented by the credit card statement).

I have written to Ouibus no less than 8 times requesting the documentation required by eclaimsline, but have been unsuccessful in obtaining it. Although I have received offers to assist me, ultimately the assistance turns out to be a response from Ouibus offering me a referral link to the information explaining how to submit lost luggage claims! Aaargghhh!! I have continued to keep eclaimsline informed about all correspondence with Ouibus, forwarding the responses I have received. At one point I received a nice response from eclaimsline indicating that the CSR would go to bat for me and given my unsuccessful efforts to obtain the documentation, the CSR agreed to see if it would be possible to override the requirement under the circumstances. However, after hearing nothing further about the claim, I contacted them and received another generic letter indicating that in order for the claim to move forward, I needed to submit the requested documentation.

I don't know what else I can do. I tried again today to write to Ouibus and provide details about the situation and another request for the documentation. All I need is a statement in an email that verifies that I didn't receive any compensation for the loss and that the receipts they provide do not include the last 4 digits of the credit card used for the purchase. My claim is stuck. I am not hearing that there is a specific deadline for getting the documents, but it doesn't seem to matter given that I simply cannot get the carrier to send me what I need.

Any suggestions? Has anyone experienced anything similar? It is clear that these claims are far more simple when the carrier is an airline!
Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you may be able to offer!!
LM
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:08 pm
mia

It appears that Ouibus is now BlaBlaBus. Their terms are published here, in German:

https://www.ouibus.com/terms-and-con...to-deutschland

You might be able to find an English version, or (more likely) use Google Translate to render an English approximation to see if the terms discuss liability for checked luggage.

How are you contacting OuiBus? Have you explained that you need the information to file a travel insurance claim?

Last edited by mia; Dec 4, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Old May 12, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Booked using points directly thru UR portal.. delayed bags compensation?

I got decent flights and pricing on an international r/t and booked thru Chase UR using CSP. One of my bags is delayed and its been 2+ days already. Everything was paid using UR points.
Is there any coverage for delayed / lost bags similar to what we get when paying using CC's ?
Thx
Old May 12, 2022, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I got decent flights and pricing on an international r/t and booked thru Chase UR using CSP. One of my bags is delayed and its been 2+ days already. Everything was paid using UR points.
Is there any coverage for delayed / lost bags similar to what we get when paying using CC's ?
Thx
Should be covered
https://creditcards.chase.com/reward...hire/preferred
Baggage Delay Insurance
Reimburses you for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over 6 hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 5 days.

As long as you used your card or UR points, it should be covered.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:56 pm
mia

Originally Posted by dlichterman
As long as you used your card or UR points, it should be covered.
Note that you must also file a claim with the airline for your expenses:

Please Pay Special Attention to These Conditions of
the Baggage Delay Benefit:
Baggage Delay must be reported to the Travel Supplier to be
eligible for this benefit.

• Coverage will not be provided if the Cardholder’s Account is closed
before the Baggage Delay occurs. In no event will the Cardholder’s
cancellation of his or her Account invalidate or reduce any
otherwise valid claim that has already been submitted.
This benefit is payable on an excess basis over and above
any amount due from any other valid or collectible insurance
or any other form of reimbursement payable by those responsible
for the loss.
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred (start at page 6)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.