Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CSP

Hi all,

I flew with my fiancee on OAK-DCA on Southwest Airlines on Friday, 10/23/2015 - for unknown reasons, my luggage was sent to STL instead, and Southwest was certain it was to arrive at 11:40am the next day. Unfortunately, after a long story of additional baggage delays, I didn't receive my luggage until 11PM on Saturday, 10/24.

My fiancee was to run the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday, and this whole time we had no idea whether or not we were ever going to receive or luggage on time, which caused two issues -

1) Fiancee had no marathon gear with her - all in luggage
2) I was still in my pajamas for almost 36 hours - ended up arguing with Southwest who agreed that my fiancee and I should buy clothes so we could at least be presentable for a dinner with friends Saturday night

All in all, we spent $350 for dinner clothes, as well as marathon essentials so she could run in case luggage didn't arrive on time. These were bought at the marathon expo, so no refunds.

So finally, my question - DCA Southwest baggage office apologized (we weren't the only ones who lost our luggage on our flight) and said $200 was the maximum reimbursement they could provide without bringing it up to corporate. I also filed a claim with Chase given that I used my CSP to book the Southwest flight. Given that the delay for my baggage covered a 2 day period, the Chase rep believed I would be able to receive $100/day, equaling $200 in coverage. My hope is that I can utilize the CSP baggage delay coverage to cover the remaining ~$150 that Southwest didn't reimburse me for.

I just wanted to confirm whether any of you had any experience with this situation where an airline had reimbursed you for itemized receipts, and used a credit card like CSP to reimburse remaining funds. Is this a valid claim through my CSP?

Tl;dr - Baggage was delayed for 36 hours, spent $350 on essential clothing and non-refundable marathon gear. Southwest reimbursed me $200 for my troubles - I want to use CSP baggage delay protection to cover the remaining $150. Is this valid, and what are your experience/success with this?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
I've only used this benefit once on my Sapphire Preferred. Qantas delayed my bags by a day when I showed in Hawaii. I wasn't given anything from Qantas initially, as the rep in Hawaii told me to call their corporate office and gave me a claim number.

I called Qantas, got a $125 prepaid Visa from them that I never got to work, and also filed a claim with Chase while I was waiting for this. It took awhile for Chase's third-party to get back to me, during which I had already received and found the Qantas card worthless. I traded emails and calls with the Chase third-party (company name escapes me, it started with a C - maybe Crawford...) for almost two months. They kept wanting a claim letter from Qantas that told me how much the card had on it. Unfortunately, Qantas only gave me the amount verbally and the card/letter didn't state the amount.

After being frustrated with the claim company and not getting any response to the last email or call, a check for $250 showed up in my mailbox from them.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by aznac84
Is this valid, and what are your experience/success with this?
I don't think so.

Many insurances do not allow double dipping. So if you are potentially eligible for $200 from CSP and WN reimbruses the same $200 to you, you are not entitled to recover more than what you are entitled, even your expense exceeds your entitlement.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:31 pm

Baggage Delay Benefit - CSP

My MIL redeemed UA miles for an award ticket for me from HNL to YYZ. She used her CSP to pay the taxes for the airfare. I arrived in YYZ on 6/4 in the morning, my luggage didn't. I filed a lost baggage report after being told repeatedly by the Air Canada agent that my suitcase was definitely scanned as arriving in Toronto, so I must be mistaken. That evening, I received a call from Air Canada saying my suitcase was found, in Kingston, Ontario. After confirming the suitcase was indeed mine, the agent assured me I would be receiving my luggage the next day. My luggage didn't get to me until the evening of 6/7. My question is, would I be able to benefit from the CSP Baggage Delay reimbursement, even though my ticket was charged on my MIL's card? If so, would I be able to call for reimbursement or would my MIL need to call since it was her card used to make the purchase? Air Canada would only give me $50 for the first two days of a delayed bag, a maximum of $100. Thanks for any insight you can give.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Napagoer
My question is, would I be able to benefit from the CSP Baggage Delay reimbursement, even though my ticket was charged on my MIL's card? If so, would I be able to call for reimbursement or would my MIL need to call since it was her card used to make the purchase? Air Canada would only give me $50 for the first two days of a delayed bag, a maximum of $100. Thanks for any insight you can give.
MIL will definitely make the situation complicated. But there is no harm to try. Your MIL should make the claim for you.

Please note - it is an excessive coverage, which means that CSP will only reimburse you the difference between what you have spent and what AC has given you, subject to the daily limit.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:44 pm

Book through Chase UR, baggage fees charged to UR credit card, not mine?

Hey Everyone,

So I book flights through the UR portal with frontier. My credit card got charged for the flight price (which is expected lol). But then I went onto Frontier's website to go ahead and check in bags and pick seats since it's cheaper to do it online instead of wait til you're are the airport. After I confirmed this all, I realized that credit card on the reservation was not MY card. I believe it's the card Chase uses to book flights? Anyways, my Chase account was never charged for the baggage/seat fees....I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and the charges eventually came through? I just don't want Chase to cancel my flights due to unknown charges.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:35 am

Aside from the monetary $100 per day are there limits on what you can spend on? The delay will ruin a bunch of frozen food I shipped. Am I allowed then to buy a bunch of food in for reimbursement?

Or heck just treat my relatives to a nice meal?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
benefits brochure

Read ~pg. 32 for Chase policies: https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1...5864c5ea4c8a4b

This is for the CSR but should be the same for the CSP.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:40 pm

Hi, there,

I recently had baggage delay issues in Heathrow Airport and am planning to file a claim via eclaimsline. I have some questions while filling the on-line forms.

Background info:
We (me, wife and 2 kids) bought the British Airways tickets from TPE (Taiwan) via HKG (Hong Kong) to LHR (UK). The return is the same route back to Taiwan and we are Americans working in Taiwan. The ticket full fare was paid with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card (for my own ticket) and my wife's own Chase Sapphire Reserve card (her won and kids' tickets) to a local travel agent. We arrived at LHR around 5:30 am on May 25th and the checked-in luggage was not there. They got somehow delayed and was eventually delivered to our hotel concierge on the evening of May 26th. We have total two checked-in bags: one is on my name and the other on my wife's name.

According to Chase's website, it stated " Who’s Covered:
Cardholder
Cardholder’s spouse or domestic partner
Immediate family members

Coverage Amount/Period:
Up to $100 per day for a maximum of 5 days"

I am a bit confused. $100 per day is per person or just the whole group? Do I and my wife have to file two separate claims? Or one claim under my name could cover $200 per day?

In my case, will it be counted as one day or two days?

In eclaimsline form, is "The return date" the date that I landed home airport or the date I departed for the return flight?

"Description of Item" has to be exactly with same with the itemized receipts? On our receipts, we found that quite some items have shortened names and I am not sure whether I should write out the full name based on my memory?

The currency in eclaimsline form is on "USD". Do I just use an estimate to convert GBP to USD or I have to use the exact exchange rate on my credit card?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by IanJaxx
I am a bit confused. $100 per day is per person or just the whole group? Do I and my wife have to file two separate claims? Or one claim under my name could cover $200 per day?
I'd just file one claim and if they want to split it into two, refile (one for tickets paid for with your card, one for hers).

Each person (including your kids) gets up to $100 per day. From the benefits guide: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

"If I charge multiple Common Carrier fares on my
Account for myself and Immediate Family Members,
does this benefit apply separately to each person?
Yes, each Insured Person is eligible to receive the benefit"

In my case, will it be counted as one day or two days?
Not sure about this one, I'd try for 2 but don't be surprised if they push back with 1. Did you really have more than $400 in emergency purchases of essential items ($100 x 4 people)?

In eclaimsline form, is "The return date" the date that I landed home airport or the date I departed for the return flight?
I think most of the travel protections only apply when you're doing round-trip travel, though the baggage delay doesn't have this restriction. So I wouldn't worry too much about this field.

"Description of Item" has to be exactly with same with the itemized receipts? On our receipts, we found that quite some items have shortened names and I am not sure whether I should write out the full name based on my memory?
Use your best judgement, it's going to be read by a human! I'd attempt to use a description that both makes it clear that the item is an "essential item", and which receipt line it correspondents to.

The currency in eclaimsline form is on "USD". Do I just use an estimate to convert GBP to USD or I have to use the exact exchange rate on my credit card?
There's not even a requirement you pay with credit card...you could pay with cash, etc. I'd just use the current exchange rate or whatever it posted as to your CC statement, whichever is easier, and if they don't like it they'll adjust it (in their favor I'm sure).

Be sure to report back about how all of this turns out!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
on the same subject, if a baggage gets delayed on your trip home, can you still file and get something? I landed in PDX, where we live, but one of my bags didnt make it....
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by mrx900
on the same subject, if a baggage gets delayed on your trip home, can you still file and get something? I landed in PDX, where we live, but one of my bags didnt make it....
I don't see it as excluded but I imagine it would be a bit harder to justify why the expense was an "emergency purchase" if you are at home.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Delay on the return flight may be excluded by this definition:

Baggage Delay – a delay or misdirection of an Insured Person’s Baggage by a Common Carrier for more than six (6) hours from the time he or she arrives at the destination as shown on the Insured Person’s ticket
...throughout the document destination is used to mean a place other than the primary residence. Example: A Covered Trip is a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence. There is ambiguity because this definition does not appear in the Baggage Delay section, but I wouldn't be surprised if the insurer makes that interpretation in addition to the one pointed out by iamflyer.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: EY
Bump.

Just curious if anyone can explain this language in the terms to me

​​​The Baggage Delay benefit amount is in excess of any travel insurance
purchased by the Insured Person for the same Covered Trip or
indemnity or reimbursement from the airline, cruise line, railroad,
station authority, or occupancy provider available to you or your
Immediate Family Member.

Does this mean I have to submit a claim to my carrier (Etihad) first? And get a letter from them saying how much if any I will be reimbursed? If so, is this the link for Etihad? Or should I email
[email protected]
​​? ​​​​​​
https://www.etihad.com/en-us/before-you-fly/baggage-information/claim-baggage/

Also, do the items need to be purchased on the day of the delay itself? Ie for a five day trip where the bag was delayed by one day, can we purchase items on the 4th day and claim them? I didn't see language one way or another I suppose one could argue that you couldn't wear the proper clothes for the first days occasions and so had to take from your clothes for the other days. Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Does this mean I have to submit a claim to my carrier (Etihad) first? And get a letter from them saying how much if any I will be reimbursed?
Yes:

Some of the documentation the Company may request includes, but is not limited to:
• a copy of the settlement or denial from the Common Carrier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.