Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance

Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance

Old May 13, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by dlichterman
Should be covered
https://creditcards.chase.com/reward...hire/preferred
Baggage Delay Insurance
Reimburses you for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over 6 hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 5 days.

As long as you used your card or UR points, it should be covered.
Originally Posted by mia
Note that you must also file a claim with the airline for your expenses:

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred (start at page 6)
Thanks for the response.
It was completely paid using UR thru the Chase travel portal and the linked card was a CIP. Guess that does not make a difference as its in the Sapphire family too?
Old May 13, 2022, 1:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
INK Preferred benefits guide is here: https://static.chasecdn.com/content/...0Biz%20Sig.pdf

The language is similar, but not identical:

What is a Common Carrier Covered Trip?
• It’s travel on a Common Carrier (see definitions section) when
some portion of the fare for transportation has been charged
to your Account issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or
its affiliates.

It’s also travel on a Common Carrier when free flights have been
awarded from frequent flier or Rewards programs, provided
that all of the miles or Rewards points were accumulated from
a Rewards program sponsored by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or
its affiliates.
The Baggage Delay benefit amount is in excess of any travel
insurance purchased by the Insured Person for the same Covered
Trip or indemnity or reimbursement from the airline, cruise line,
railroad, station authority, or occupancy provider available to you
or other Insured Persons
Old May 20, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by bobert24
I submitted a claim on 5/15. I'll report back when it finally goes through.

I hope they get this backlog cleared up soon. There are probably people for whom being out of pocket this amount (especially for families/groups, where it could be in the thousands) for 3 months could be a real financial problem.
I still have one from around Jan 15 still open. Granted it was for $100 so I'm not losing a lot of sleep (delayed bag due to PHL meltdown) but it can be a massive inconvenience for many others.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon
I still have one from around Jan 15 still open. Granted it was for $100 so I'm not losing a lot of sleep (delayed bag due to PHL meltdown) but it can be a massive inconvenience for many others.
Did the airline not provide compensation for the delayed bag?

My understanding is they will only pay out for covered expenses for which the airline denies payment, and you have to submit your airline claim paperwork when you make the claim through eclaimsline. Since most airlines will reimburse reasonable expenses, it’s almost impossible to hit a threshold to where the luggage coverage through Federal Insurance Co would ever come into effect.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by SpaethCo
Did the airline not provide compensation for the delayed bag?

My understanding is they will only pay out for covered expenses for which the airline denies payment, and you have to submit your airline claim paperwork when you make the claim through eclaimsline. Since most airlines will reimburse reasonable expenses, it’s almost impossible to hit a threshold to where the luggage coverage through Federal Insurance Co would ever come into effect.
Airline did not pay, but in total fairness I did not put up a fight with them. FWIW... the claim was approved this past Friday.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Can't seem to find the answer.

If both myself and my wife are traveling together and both our bags are delayed >6 hours, do each of us get $100 benefit (aka $200 per day), or is it just $100 per day?
I get confused by the "Who's Covered" which lists the Cardholder and Cardholder Spouse but I'm not sure what applies when both are traveling together
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by awu25
Can't seem to find the answer.

If both myself and my wife are traveling together and both our bags are delayed >6 hours, do each of us get $100 benefit (aka $200 per day), or is it just $100 per day?
I get confused by the "Who's Covered" which lists the Cardholder and Cardholder Spouse but I'm not sure what applies when both are traveling together
Yes, you are both covered travellers so you should both get $100, for a total of $200 per day. You can submit one combined claim.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What counts as a claim with the airline? I flew UA MCI-DEN this afternoon and my bag wasn’t placed on my flight and is instead going to arrive sometime tomorrow.

I went on the UA app and scheduled delivery for my bag at the address I’ll be at and have screenshots of
it and the UA app showing my bag isn’t coming until tomorrow. Will that suffice to qualify for the credit?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
What counts as a claim with the airline? I flew UA MCI-DEN this afternoon and my bag wasn’t placed on my flight and is instead going to arrive sometime tomorrow.

I went on the UA app and scheduled delivery for my bag at the address I’ll be at and have screenshots of
it and the UA app showing my bag isn’t coming until tomorrow. Will that suffice to qualify for the credit?
Yeah, that sounds fine. Any kind of screenshot showing delayed baggage.

Here's what the guide says you need to include:

What Documents Will You Need to Provide?
The Benefit Administrator will provide the details, but generally You
should be prepared to send:
• Completed and signed claim form
• Travel itinerary
• Written confirmation of the Baggage Delay from the Common
Carrier or Cruise Line
• Credit card Account statement (showing the last four (4) digits of the
Account number) reflecting the charge for the Common Carrier or
Cruise Line fare
• Copy of the settlement or denial from the Common Carrier or
Cruise Line
• Copies of receipts for the purchase of essential items over
twenty–five ($25.00) dollars
• Any other documentation deemed necessary by the Benefit
Administrator to substantiate the claim
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh

The quoted requirements include: Copy of the settlement or denial from the Common Carrier
I don't see how you will obtain such unless you submit a claim for expenses to the airline and wait for them to respond.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by mia
The quoted requirements include: Copy of the settlement or denial from the Common Carrier
I don't see how you will obtain such unless you submit a claim for expenses to the airline and wait for them to respond.
Sorry, I guess I skipped over that in my reply. The screenshot is, I think, sufficient to prove the baggage was late (for "Written confirmation of the Baggage Delay from the Common Carrier").

You must also request (and be denied) reimbursement from the airline before the insurance kicks in.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:49 pm

What happens if you have multiple checked bags which are delayed by different amounts? Is the reimbursement $100/day up to five days until the first bag is delivered, or until you are reunited with all your bags?

My mother (who flew a ticket booked on her CSR) checked two bags, neither of which made it with her flight. One of them was delivered the next day, the other is still lost in the system. Is she eligible to claim for expenses on Days 2-5 on the basis of the second bag? Or is it assumed that one has spread the essentials out across both bags and thus as long as "a" bag is delivered one is no longer covered?

Update: Airline ended up covering everything (what a pleasant surprise) so no Chase claims was necessary.

Last edited by Agneisse; Mar 15, 2023 at 4:41 pm
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Agneisse
What happens if you have multiple checked bags which are delayed by different amounts? Is the reimbursement $100/day up to five days until the first bag is delivered, or until you are reunited with all your bags?

My mother (who flew a ticket booked on her CSR) checked two bags, neither of which made it with her flight. One of them was delivered the next day, the other is still lost in the system. Is she eligible to claim for expenses on Days 2-5 on the basis of the second bag? Or is it assumed that one has spread the essentials out across both bags and thus as long as "a" bag is delivered one is no longer covered?
I would imagine it is until you receive all of your bags.

Note that you have to start with claiming from the airline, which is obligated to pay most reasonable expenses up to a cap. CSR only kicks in if the airline doesn't cover everything.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by threeoh

I assume if UAL pays out, then the Chase coverage is no more? Or do they still cover expenses?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Read the post right above yours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.