Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for me to drop United Select card?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by penner42
Does it really, over a Chase Freedom Unlimited? Assuming you have a premium Chase card, too, do you really get enough earning an extra half a mile per dollar?

Also, Amazon sells Whole Foods gift cards, so if you have an Ink Bold/Plus/Cash, you can buy an Amazon GC at Staples/OD/Paypal Digital Gifts and earn 5x, then use your Amazon balance to buy a Whole Foods gift card. That's a little more annoying, but still not too bad.
Perhaps. But having the card opens extra saver seats. So for me, it's a keeper.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Perhaps. But having the card opens extra saver seats. So for me, it's a keeper.
Yes, that's true. I also have the Explorer, and keep it for the free checked bags since I no longer have any status, so keeping the Select doesn't get me any additional benefit there.

With the just announced devaluation, though not nearly as bad as it could have been, I think I'll probably finally dump my select. If I actually try for status again and really need 5k PQM I'll take one more flight to see my family in NY from CA.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:48 am

A bump. Anyone successfully MS this card? Would love to leverage the 2X at supermarkets by doing VGC>MO but not sure how sensitive Chase is to MS on a card that's no longer offered by them.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:42 pm

I used to MS the heck out of this card back in the mint days and did a few thousand of VGC when I needed to hit the $25k spend waiver. As with any card/issuer, be cautious and blend in some organic spend.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:12 pm

Yeah, I hear you. This used to be my primary card for years before I started this churning game in 2017. Now, it feels awfully lonely in my sock drawer. Time to let it shine again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.