Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Dispute Resolution - Tips and Tales [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Dispute Resolution - Tips and Tales [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
For any AMEX or depends on card issuer? I have Green card from AMEX Singapore.
You should ask this in the AMEX forum.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Happy
Much better customer service from AMEX should you run into problems on the charges appearing on your card.
My only successful dispute was with them, although I wonder if they let it slide because it was only $25. With BOA, the merchant did not respond, so I won. With Citi, they flat out sided with the merchant.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
My only successful dispute was with them, although I wonder if they let it slide because it was only $25. With BOA, the merchant did not respond, so I won. With Citi, they flat out sided with the merchant.
I actually do not have dispute with AMEX but have read enough about the way AMEX handles it. In fact one poster said his business dropped AMEX because of the cost of charge back as AMEX often cited with the customers even though the customers may not always be right.

OTOH, I had dispute with Chase on a HI charged me 5 months after a Chase free night cert stay because it had no idea how to process the reimbursement from PC. Before Chase resolved it, I got IHG Guest Relations involved and the hotel refunded it.

Another dispute was on a gymnastic school put a client's payment for classes on my card - I was told it was a phone-in payment and the merchant apparently had very low security measure and a transposed number happened, my card was charged. I actually tracked down the merchant which was thousands miles away and left a message on the owner's cell phone. She called and I told her what happened. Later Chase said the merchant accepted the charge back and the dispute resolved in my favor. I dont know what would happen if the merchant does not accept the charge back...

I had a dispute with Citi on SNCF train tickets sold when SNCF knew fully it would go on strike that afternoon. Citi rep suggested me to contact merchant, I said HOW? To call French railroad company about this? I only wanted my payment on the non-performing service back. I can send you a picture of the Timetable board which was completely black out because no train service! The rep agreed on the dispute which was approx $20 anyway.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Update: So after going back and forth for a couple months about this I was finally told that simply being present at the location and giving my credit card to the merchant meant that I authorized the charges. This will definitely alter the way I use my CC's. I will never again leave an open tab at any bar, nightclub etc. I will only use my Visa/Mastercard in the US (at reputable merchants) and stick to Amex/cash for all overseas transactions and internet merchants.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I actually do not have dispute with AMEX but have read enough about the way AMEX handles it. In fact one poster said his business dropped AMEX because of the cost of charge back as AMEX often cited with the customers even though the customers may not always be right.

OTOH, I had dispute with Chase on a HI charged me 5 months after a Chase free night cert stay because it had no idea how to process the reimbursement from PC. Before Chase resolved it, I got IHG Guest Relations involved and the hotel refunded it.

Another dispute was on a gymnastic school put a client's payment for classes on my card - I was told it was a phone-in payment and the merchant apparently had very low security measure and a transposed number happened, my card was charged. I actually tracked down the merchant which was thousands miles away and left a message on the owner's cell phone. She called and I told her what happened. Later Chase said the merchant accepted the charge back and the dispute resolved in my favor. I dont know what would happen if the merchant does not accept the charge back...

I had a dispute with Citi on SNCF train tickets sold when SNCF knew fully it would go on strike that afternoon. Citi rep suggested me to contact merchant, I said HOW? To call French railroad company about this? I only wanted my payment on the non-performing service back. I can send you a picture of the Timetable board which was completely black out because no train service! The rep agreed on the dispute which was approx $20 anyway.
Originally Posted by xxpert
Update: So after going back and forth for a couple months about this I was finally told that simply being present at the location and giving my credit card to the merchant meant that I authorized the charges. This will definitely alter the way I use my CC's. I will never again leave an open tab at any bar, nightclub etc. I will only use my Visa/Mastercard in the US (at reputable merchants) and stick to Amex/cash for all overseas transactions and internet merchants.
I think Happy could've gotten it reversed.

If you're still intent on having it resolved, maybe try alternate channels: exec. office/twitter/facebook.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:31 pm

Correction, I take the Roissy
Roissy is excellent. And cheap too.

As for the OP story, nothing like that ever happened to me.

And I go to Rome and other European cities very often.

Must have been the unlucky day for the OP.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Disturbing Chase dispute nightmare

Another reason to require PIN entry ala Chip and PIN. Of course this transaction costs Chase nothing no matter how they ruled, so Chip and Signature it stays.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:28 am

You will not be sorry with your decision. I was scammed about 15 years ago by a restaurant in Canada. They billed me twice for the same meal. They billed me correctly, but ran the charge again the next day. It showed up as a slightly different Dollar amount because of the exchange rate. The rep at BOA told me I must have eaten there twice since the bill was two different amounts. I had to send them a copy of my airline boarding pass to show them I wasn't even in Canada on the date of the second charge. Again, that was about 15 years ago. I have since filled up 2 more passports and have NEVER EVER charged another meal to a credit card. Not even in the USA,,,, just use cash at restaurants/bars and for taxis and have no worries (about what the bill might be) or regrets. I do wear a money belt in most foreign countries.

Last edited by bigbuy; Jan 11, 2014 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bigbuy
You will not be sorry with your decision. I was scammed about 15 years ago by a restaurant in Canada. They billed me twice for the same meal. They billed me correctly, but ran the charge again the next day. It showed up as a slightly different Dollar amount because of the exchange rate. The rep at BOA told me I must have eaten there twice since the bill was two different amounts. I had to send them a copy of my airline boarding pass to show them I wasn't even in Canada on the date of the second charge. Again, that was about 15 years ago. I have since filled up 2 more passports and have NEVER EVER charged another meal to a credit card. Not even in the USA,,,, just use cash at restaurants/bars and for taxis and have no worries (about what the bill might be) or regrets. I do wear a money belt in most foreign countries.
Most places outside of the US will bring the credit card terminal to your table to process yourself now, precisely to avoid skimming, or you can go to the register. Especially in Canada, which is the first time I had ever encountered a table-side POS several years back.

But with EMV Chip and PIN they would need your positive authorization and presence to enter the PIN number. Sadly it seems no US issuers are going this route. Chip and Signature should still help reduce skimming, but it removes that final authentication the PIN provides.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:51 pm

Also be careful about Chase disputes: friend disputed a charge: a month later Chase closed the card.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by best
Also be careful about Chase disputes: friend disputed a charge: a month later Chase closed the card.
If the card was closed for this reason, it's a violation of the Fair Credit Billing Act. Not sure how easy it would be to prove it, but that's what the law says.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:32 pm

Another issue with Chase

I have been having my own nightmare with Chase, also regarding a purchase made in Italy. Last summer we stopped in a nice wine shop in Tuscany and had a very nice tasting and decided to order a case of very good wine, for a total charge of over $500. Fortunately, $100 of this was shipping, which is itemized on the receipt.

The wine never arrived, even after giving it an extra week after they estimated. I contacted the merchant, who responded he would track the package. Then he never replied, and ignored my next 3 messages. At that point I reported it to Chase and started the dispute process.

They took the charge off initially (standard process), but it was rebilled 3 months later. I called and they informed me that the merchant states I took the wine with me - that it was a cash and carry transaction. I explained that it wasn't, and that fortunately I have both a receipt with a shipping charge clearly itemized, and an email from the merchant saying he would track the package.

They agreed to review the case again after I sent them this evidence. After a month, they write me to say they have found the charge to be valid. I call again and ask for the rationale and they say - GET THIS - that the merchant has not replied to the most recent inquiry in 30 days, so they are accepting his original response.

The person I spoke to on the phone advised that I resend my evidence and write a letter explaining the situation, which I did. Additionally, I finally did get the merchant to respond after appealing to him once again, and now he says he did ship it. I asked if he could track the shipment, and he stopped replying again. I have also forwarded this exchange to Chase.

Once again, Chase writes to say that they find the charge to be valid, AND any future correspondence from me on the matter will not receive a response from them. They are mis-handling this case so badly, and when I call nobody can have a reasonable conversation as to why they are finding in the merchant's favor.

I have 2 Chase accounts and have been a customer for over 10 years. I have used my cards for thousands of transactions and this is the first time I have ever had to dispute something. I feel they are in violation of the cardholder agreement and the FCBA. I'm not giving up.

No matter how this turns out, I feel that I need to find a card that will protect me. We like to travel internationally, and we like to buy stuff. I need some recourse, especially when I have documentation and do everything by the book.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Wow..I think I'll reconsider giving AMEX a chance and cancel my Chase cards instead.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by salch0w
No matter how this turns out, I feel that I need to find a card that will protect me. We like to travel internationally, and we like to buy stuff. I need some recourse, especially when I have documentation and do everything by the book.
Wow, do keep us posted on how this turns out.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think buying merchandises overseas to be shipped home, opens one up for all sorts of scams. It simply does not worth the headache. I had very negative experiences in Rome despite we like the city itself and we have to pass Rome multiple times a year.

If you have an overseas dispute, I would strongly recommend you to IMMEDIATELY WRITE A FORMAL LETTER and send that to the address listed at the back of your statement, instead of just phone calls and SMs. This is to preserve your right and you would have all the details including the attached invoice in the letter.

Still, it does not matter where the fraudulent charges occurred. It is just not an easy process when it comes to dispute with Chase.

I have not mentioned one frustrating dispute experience with Chase Years ago - our IHG card was used only ONCE outside home after gotten it, at a restaurant. One month later, someone in a 24/7 fitness center in Los Angeles swiped a clone card to pay for membership fee. I found that when the charge was still in pending stage. Immediately called Chase and was told to wait for the Affidavit form to come which must be completed and sent back within 30 days from the dispute date.

Well, 1) A second charge appeared 2 weeks later, went to post on the replacement card.

2) The form still hadn't come. Called Chase and was told to just add the 2nd dispute on the form.

BUT GET THIS: The lady said there was NO WAY Chase could stop the fraudulent charge because the initial charge was coded as a Recurring Charge, so it would continue be billed on the card, even it has been replaced by a new card. The only way to stop this is to ask the merchant to delete the card from its billing records! WOW!

3) So I googled the 24/7 outfit and called - got a very rude supervisor who told me I had to give her the card number in question, in order to "investigate" it. You think I would be so stupid to give her the card number, when she was not even in the accounting dept? Asked the phone number of the billing dept of the chain - it turned out that dept was located in Panama City, Panama, Central America!!!

Called that dept and explained to the supervisor there that a card was being cloned and used for recurring charges at the club. This guy was much more accommodating. He went to look at the payment records of the OLD number which was replaced by the new card after reporting the fraudulent charges. He said it was a POS which meant there was a card being swiped at the time of charge. Told him that card was a clone and the fraudulent charges were reported to the bank already. He agreed to Suspend the card number from the billing system so it would not be used to pay any further fee from the club's billing system.

4) I monitored the replacement card for the next 2 months - there was no more fraudulent charges showing up. Then I canceled that card for good.

My brother had his card info stolen and used to subscribe Tivo service. (forgot which bank) Same thing happened, it was recurring charge, so the bank could not stop it other than the whole account was canceled.

Guess what? Tivo then harassed him nonstop for not paying for the subscription which the thief did. He tried to tell Tivo that card was stolen but Tivo would not stop its harassment and threatened to take him to collection agency! He ended up filing a Police Report and that was the only way to get Tivo stopped.

So there, not just overseas trouble - here at home, you have A LOT MORE risks than you would ever imagine. Overseas are much simpler - Never let your card leave your sight - pay at the counter or by the table. Do NOT buy anything that requires subsequent shipment. Basically you would stop 90% of the chances of being scammed.

You may still be pickpocketed and lost your wallet - that happened to me last Spring at the underground tunnel of Rome Termini. The thieves mainly after cash and did not use any debit cards / credit cards in the wallet. However Chase's collect call number does NOT work at all when I called - the operator kept saying this number does NOT accept collect call... I wound up used $47 to eventually talk to Chase on the stolen CSP, and still could not get the CSP suspended because it was a Weekend and Chase System was under maintainence, the rep could NOT suspend the card but just sent an internal email to the fraud dept for that effect!

I had to call Chase again the next day at Hilton FCO - the collect call number still NOT taking calls but the front desk was very accommodating and called from their direct line. I guess they are very familiar about their guests got their wallets stolen at Rome!

After reported stolen cards I gave Chase the items that were legitimated charges (including $1400 from the ship we just got off that day), and what was not, including that $47 phone charge. Chase sent 1 letter on the temp credit and a follow up letter to confirm the legitimate charges and the dispute charge that it credited back.

Last edited by mia; Mar 30, 2014 at 12:09 pm Reason: Remove stereotype

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.