Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for discussing the mechanics of points transfer: qualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfer. For advice on which partner to transfer to for a given travel goal, see Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to? and the master threads compiled there.
For the pre-2017 version of this thread, go here.

Q. Can I transfer UR points to airline/hotel programs?

A. Yes, but only from a UR account tied to one of the following premium (i.e., fee-based) Chase cards:
  • Sapphire Reserve
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • JP Morgan Reserve
  • JP Morgan Palladium (discontinued)
  • JP Morgan Select (discontinued)
  • INK Preferred
  • INK Plus (discontinued)
  • INK Bold (discontinued)

Holders of non-premium Chase UR cards,
  • Freedom
  • Freedom Unlimited
  • Freedom Flex
  • Sapphire (discontinued; different from Sapphire Preferred)
  • INK Cash
  • INK Classic (discontinued)
  • INK Unlimited
may not transfer directly to airline/hotel programs. However, if you hold both a premium and non-premium UR card, you may freely combine your UR points into the account of the premium card. (Similarly, if your spouse/domestic partner holds one of the premium cards, you can make an internal UR-to-UR transfer to his or her account. See below.) Even though Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and INK Cash are marketed as "cash back" cards they actually earn UR points.

Q. What airline or hotel programs can I transfer UR points into?

A. UR points may be transferred at no charge to these airline programs at a 1:1 exchange rate:

ONEWORLD
  • British Airways Executive Club (BA)
  • Iberia (IB)
SKYTEAM
  • Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) (AF)
  • Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (VS)
STAR ALLIANCE
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • United Airlines MileagePlus (UA)
  • Air Canada Aeroplan (AC)
    • Chase Aeroplan credit cardmembers get a 10% transfer bonus after transferring 50,000 or more Ultimate Rewards points in a single transaction from an eligible Chase credit card to their Aeroplan account. Maximum of 25,000 bonus points per calendar year. This offer was previously scheduled to end on 12/31/23, but has now been made permanent.
    • 20% bonus on transfers ended Jan. 15, 2024
INDEPENDENT
  • Aer Lingus (EI)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • JetBlue (B6) - 25% bonus on transfers ended on Jan. 10, 2024
  • Southwest Rapid Rewards (WN)
and to these hotel programs:
  • IHG Rewards Club - 60% bonus on transfers through March 1, 2024
  • Marriott Bonvoy
  • World of Hyatt

Transfers to Amtrak were previously available, but ended permanently on December 8, 2015. See Announcement regarding Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. In many cases, yes, although transfers to at least one partner (Marriott) may take several days. A summary:
  • AC: Variable. Generally posts instantly (as noted in this July 2023 post). On the other hand, a report from August 2021 indicated a delay of 72-96 hours and a June 2023 post reflects a delay of roughly 30 hours.
  • BA: usually Instant
  • SQ: "Most Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer point transfers process within 2 business days." Several reports suggest it takes 24-48 hours, although there appears to be a lot of variation.
    Post #128 reports 7 business days; post #214 reports a turnaround of 2hrs 15mins. NOV 2017 - 24 hours
  • WN: Normally Instant but see posts starting at #451 about delays
  • UA: Normally instant, but see this thread: UR to United transfer is not reliably instant
  • AF: Instant
  • VS: Instant.
  • Hyatt: Occurs within a minute or less (numerous reports)
  • IHG: One business day. Instant on 10/30/19. Instant on 9 March 2022.
  • Marriott: Transfers "will process by the next business day"; actual experience is approx. 2 business days
  • Ritz:

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Chase UR airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit transfers to a spouse or domestic partner's frequent traveler account, and prohibit all other transfers. On November 13, 2015, Chase announced the further complication (and perhaps additional restriction) that effective November 15, 2015, as a holder of a UR-earning business card "you can only transfer points to yourself or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account." For discussion of this policy statement and its impacts, see this thread.

Transferring UR points from one household member to another's FF account:
If, for instance, you'd like to transfer UR points from your spouse to your United Airlines account, here are the rules: To transfer directly from [her] UR account to your UA account you would have to be members of the same household -and- you would have to be an Authorized User on [her] Chase card account.

Points can only be transferred to yourself, or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account. Once you transfer points to an authorized user, that person will be the only authorized user on your account eligible to receive point transfers.

Combining UR point accounts: To combine points from a UR account with your UR account you would have to be members of the same household. Here are the rules:

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q. I heard that Chase has closed accounts for unauthorized transfers. What's the story?

A. Those reports involve sharing (aka combining) points from one Ultimate Rewards account to another Ultimate Rewards account. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit combining points with a spouse's or domestic partner's UR account, and prohibit all other internal sharing of UR points. See this thread:

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Credit card and rewards accounts may also be closed if Chase decides to close your personal or business bank accounts for any reason.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
If I want to book at a Marriott hotel I can transfer CSR points to the Marriott site and then book from Marriott site?

But I cannot transfer CSR points to the Hilton site?
Correct, no transfers to hilton. But, you can use the travel portal to book a hilton hotel, but you wont earn any elite points or get elite credit
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is an indirect route to Hilton:

10,000 Ultimate Rewards
10,000 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
15,000 Hilton Honors

Flying Club members can exchange their miles for Hilton Honors points, which can then be redeemed for Honors rewards such as free hotel nights, experimental rewards, premium merchandise and much much more.

Flying Club members are able to exchange miles at the following rate: 2 Flying Club miles for 3 Hilton Honors points.

Minimum Level: 10,000 miles and then in increments of 10,000. Just call the Flying Club Helpline with your Honors account number.

*Please note your name on your Flying Club membership account must match exactly with the name on your Hilton Honors account for a successful transfer. Your transfer will take up to 30 days and a booking cannot be made until the transfer is complete.
https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...worldwide.html

DISCLAIMER: I am not advocating this, only explaining that it can be done. I think it is poor value,
beltway and roundtree like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by rrgg

Caribgrl
For Hilton, or even Marriott, you should also consider using the Chase travel portal to reserve a room. Your Chase points will be worth 1.5c each there. Sometimes it's cheaper this way.
This is excellent advice. It’s rare for a Marriott points award to yield 1.5cpp. The only time I’d transfer Chase UR to Marriott would be to top up a Marriott account that’s a few thousand points shy of a planned redemption.
Need likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There is an indirect route to Hilton:

10,000 Ultimate Rewards
10,000 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
15,000 Hilton Honors

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...worldwide.html

DISCLAIMER: I am not advocating this, only explaining that it can be done. I think it is poor value,
Very poor value because 10,000 Ultimate Rewards is $100 minimum and then $125 or $150 depending on which card you own.
15,000 Hilton Honors is <$75 as in 90% of the time HH pts are valued at $0.0046 per Hilton's revenue based redemption system.

The only time UR pts to Hotels would make some sense is to Hyatt - even that is only marginally better than breakeven in many scenarios. Unless one has status and value the stay credit / benefits, it often is better to book thru UR portal with the UR pts instead.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Caribgrl For Hilton, or even Marriott, you should also consider using the Chase travel portal to reserve a room. Your Chase points will be worth 1.5c each there. Sometimes it's cheaper this way.
Yes it is cheaper through the Chase portal. So will definitely be going that route. Just trying to decide which has the better free breakfast; Marriott or Hilton...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:35 pm

Chase UR to SQ Krisflyer Transfer Question

Hello,

My chase account/cards are all registered and setup under my middle name and surname name, as I go by my middle name. (For example: David Chase)

However, my passport has my legal first name, middle and surname. (Example Michael David Chase). My Krisflyer account is registered under my the name on my passport: Michael David Chase.

Will I encounter any delays or problems if transfer points from my Chase UR to SQ Krisflyer account as it is currently? I would think as long as the Krisflyer account# and my Chase is linked correctly under my "transfer partner" on Chase it should just transfer fine? Would it be best to update/change my Chase information so that it matches my SQ Krisflyer account?

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Drew523
Hello,

My chase account/cards are all registered and setup under my middle name and surname name, as I go by my middle name. (For example: David Chase)

However, my passport has my legal first name, middle and surname. (Example Michael David Chase). My Krisflyer account is registered under my the name on my passport: Michael David Chase.

Will I encounter any delays or problems if transfer points from my Chase UR to SQ Krisflyer account as it is currently? I would think as long as the Krisflyer account# and my Chase is linked correctly under my "transfer partner" on Chase it should just transfer fine? Would it be best to update/change my Chase information so that it matches my SQ Krisflyer account? Thanks
You could run into a snag. Other members have reported issues like this. I would highly recommend that your names all match. Send Chase a SM message and ask about the easiest way to do this. Or, you could do a small 1000 pt transfer and see if it goes through.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
You could run into a snag. Other members have reported issues like this. I would highly recommend that your names all match. Send Chase a SM message and ask about the easiest way to do this. Or, you could do a small 1000 pt transfer and see if it goes through.
Tested it out with 1000 points and it transferred over in about 24 hours.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Data point - Transfer to Air France KLM Flying Blue instant.
Diplomatico, 747FC and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:57 pm
mia

Moderator action

Recent questions about which transfer partner to choose have been moved:

Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
UR points transfer to Hyatt today - instant. ^
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:23 pm

Transfer to BA is no longer instant??
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:42 pm
mia

Originally Posted by anchor79
Transfer to BA is no longer instant??
Transfer to any partner can be delayed for technical reasons -or- due an account mismatch. Have you transferred from UR to the same BAEC account before?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Transfer to any partner can be delayed for technical reasons -or- due an account mismatch. Have you transferred from UR to the same BAEC account before?
No - this is the first time for this account. Should I call them to let them know?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:38 am
mia

There have been intermittent reports of problems transferring to BAEC for the last year. Start at post 156 in April 2018 and skim forward. There is another cluster of reports in October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.