Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for discussing the mechanics of points transfer: qualifying Chase cards, eligible partners, and typical speed of transfer. For advice on which partner to transfer to for a given travel goal, see Ultimate Rewards - Which airline/hotel should I transfer points to? and the master threads compiled there.
For the pre-2017 version of this thread, go here.

Q. Can I transfer UR points to airline/hotel programs?

A. Yes, but only from a UR account tied to one of the following premium (i.e., fee-based) Chase cards:
  • Sapphire Reserve
  • Sapphire Preferred
  • JP Morgan Reserve
  • JP Morgan Palladium (discontinued)
  • JP Morgan Select (discontinued)
  • INK Preferred
  • INK Plus (discontinued)
  • INK Bold (discontinued)

Holders of non-premium Chase UR cards,
  • Freedom
  • Freedom Unlimited
  • Freedom Flex
  • Sapphire (discontinued; different from Sapphire Preferred)
  • INK Cash
  • INK Classic (discontinued)
  • INK Unlimited
may not transfer directly to airline/hotel programs. However, if you hold both a premium and non-premium UR card, you may freely combine your UR points into the account of the premium card. (Similarly, if your spouse/domestic partner holds one of the premium cards, you can make an internal UR-to-UR transfer to his or her account. See below.) Even though Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and INK Cash are marketed as "cash back" cards they actually earn UR points.

Q. What airline or hotel programs can I transfer UR points into?

A. UR points may be transferred at no charge to these airline programs at a 1:1 exchange rate:

ONEWORLD
  • British Airways Executive Club (BA)
  • Iberia (IB)
SKYTEAM
  • Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) (AF)
  • Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (VS)
STAR ALLIANCE
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • United Airlines MileagePlus (UA)
  • Air Canada Aeroplan (AC)
    • Chase Aeroplan credit cardmembers get a 10% transfer bonus after transferring 50,000 or more Ultimate Rewards points in a single transaction from an eligible Chase credit card to their Aeroplan account. Maximum of 25,000 bonus points per calendar year. This offer was previously scheduled to end on 12/31/23, but has now been made permanent.
    • 20% bonus on transfers ended Jan. 15, 2024
INDEPENDENT
  • Aer Lingus (EI)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • JetBlue (B6) - 25% bonus on transfers ended on Jan. 10, 2024
  • Southwest Rapid Rewards (WN)
and to these hotel programs:
  • IHG Rewards Club - 60% bonus on transfers through March 1, 2024
  • Marriott Bonvoy
  • World of Hyatt

Transfers to Amtrak were previously available, but ended permanently on December 8, 2015. See Announcement regarding Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. In many cases, yes, although transfers to at least one partner (Marriott) may take several days. A summary:
  • AC: Variable. Generally posts instantly (as noted in this July 2023 post). On the other hand, a report from August 2021 indicated a delay of 72-96 hours and a June 2023 post reflects a delay of roughly 30 hours.
  • BA: usually Instant
  • SQ: "Most Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer point transfers process within 2 business days." Several reports suggest it takes 24-48 hours, although there appears to be a lot of variation.
    Post #128 reports 7 business days; post #214 reports a turnaround of 2hrs 15mins. NOV 2017 - 24 hours
  • WN: Normally Instant but see posts starting at #451 about delays
  • UA: Normally instant, but see this thread: UR to United transfer is not reliably instant
  • AF: Instant
  • VS: Instant.
  • Hyatt: Occurs within a minute or less (numerous reports)
  • IHG: One business day. Instant on 10/30/19. Instant on 9 March 2022.
  • Marriott: Transfers "will process by the next business day"; actual experience is approx. 2 business days
  • Ritz:

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Chase UR airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit transfers to a spouse or domestic partner's frequent traveler account, and prohibit all other transfers. On November 13, 2015, Chase announced the further complication (and perhaps additional restriction) that effective November 15, 2015, as a holder of a UR-earning business card "you can only transfer points to yourself or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account." For discussion of this policy statement and its impacts, see this thread.

Transferring UR points from one household member to another's FF account:
If, for instance, you'd like to transfer UR points from your spouse to your United Airlines account, here are the rules: To transfer directly from [her] UR account to your UA account you would have to be members of the same household -and- you would have to be an Authorized User on [her] Chase card account.

Points can only be transferred to yourself, or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account. Once you transfer points to an authorized user, that person will be the only authorized user on your account eligible to receive point transfers.

Combining UR point accounts: To combine points from a UR account with your UR account you would have to be members of the same household. Here are the rules:

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q. I heard that Chase has closed accounts for unauthorized transfers. What's the story?

A. Those reports involve sharing (aka combining) points from one Ultimate Rewards account to another Ultimate Rewards account. Ultimate Rewards rules explicitly permit combining points with a spouse's or domestic partner's UR account, and prohibit all other internal sharing of UR points. See this thread:

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.

Credit card and rewards accounts may also be closed if Chase decides to close your personal or business bank accounts for any reason.
Print Wikipost

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by mak101
Anyone know work around please?
I'm pretty sure the names on both accounts (UR and United) have to match. An alternative might be for you to transfer all your UR points to her UR account, then she transfers all of that to HER United account, then transfer your miles from your United account to hers.

https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/uni...g_page/#/en-US
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...My wife has chase ink (fee card). I can transfer my Freedom/Ink UR points to her Ink card and from there I can t...Is there anyway I can transfer UR points from my wife's account to my mileage reward account?
Maybe. Your wife will need to make you an Authorized User on her account. However, because INK is a business card you must also be "an owner" of the business named on the card account.

You can read discussion here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html

...and you can read the exact text of the rule if you log into her account and start the process of transferring points to an airline or hotel. You don't have to actually make a transfer, just read the rules.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:36 pm

Did WN and UA transfers this week and both processed instantly.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings
An alternative might be for you to transfer all your UR points to her UR account, then she transfers all of that to HER United account, then transfer your miles from your United account to hers.

https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/uni...g_page/#/en-US
I don't think I can transfer my united points to her united account without a fee
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Maybe. Your wife will need to make you an Authorized User on her account. However, because INK is a business card you must also be "an owner" of the business named on the card account.
Does there any annual fees on AU?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:29 pm
mia

Does there any annual fees on AU?
Probably not, but to research we would need to know which INK card she has: Bold, Plus or Preferred.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:10 pm

Booking flights

guys - is there a site that you can enter in your source and destination city and i goes through all chase partners like united, BA, korean, singapore, etc and sees if they or any of their partners offer business class awards on that date. Right now doing it manually and looking to do it on the BOM-SVQ and JFK-SVQ route

Thanks
Old May 5, 2017, 6:21 pm

www.awardhacker.com

www.awardace.com

to figure out which airline offers those flights

if it's a *A airline, then go use this to figure out availability for *a flights. usually if it's available as a *A award, it should show up on other *A airlines too
https://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/sea...-availability/

similar method for SKyteam
https://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/sea...kyteam-awards/
Old May 6, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
guys - is there a site that you can enter in your source and destination city and i goes through all chase partners like united, BA, korean, singapore, etc and sees if they or any of their partners offer business class awards on that date. Right now doing it manually and looking to do it on the BOM-SVQ and JFK-SVQ route

Thanks
Originally Posted by paperwastage
www.awardhacker.com

www.awardace.com

to figure out which airline offers those flights

if it's a *A airline, then go use this to figure out availability for *a flights. usually if it's available as a *A award, it should show up on other *A airlines too
https://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/sea...-availability/

similar method for SKyteam
https://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/sea...kyteam-awards/
Other option for FTers is www.awardnexus.com. Free points (queries) with FT username.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Did WN and UA transfers this week and both processed instantly.
My WN one was also instant. I then booked a flight using points. I checked their website and saw the points had decreased by 2000 one way. I rebooked the flight and got 2000 SW points deposited back in my Rapid Reward account.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:14 pm

Hey all, my wife and I are considering Ireland for our first nice international trip since learning about miles. Sometime next year or so, off-season, very flexible at this point. I'm starting near weekly travel for work, so I will accrue Hilton and WN/UA miles from now on, but have already earned some miles based on recent CC sign-up bonuses. About 80k UA MP pts and 130k Chase UR pts between us.

I'm at 5/24 now after new cards just since Feb, one of them being an AU on my wife's new CFU. CSR/MPE/WNx2 otherwise. She's only at 2/24 right now with a new CFU and being an AU on my MPE.

I'm just learning about award travel and have started looking briefly to get an idea how much this may cost. It looks like the easiest way is with UR>UA MP for a UA or Partner award ticket. Looks like 115k-140k for saver business going that way.

Are there other options I should consider? What would be the next step in your cc strategy to get you there? Should I try to get one more Chase card or just have her start on them more aggressively?

Thanks,
Mike
Old May 25, 2017, 1:10 am

Want to transfer UR to Hotel w/o CSR, CSP, CIP, etc

Can someone advise if it is possible to transfer UR points to UR Transfer Partners without CSR, CSP, CIP. I currently hold the Chase Freedom (no AF), and Chase Ink Biz Cash (no AF). I have accumulated 6 figure UR combine between these 2 cards but it seems like I'm unable to transfer it to travel partners. Mostly, I want to move 25K UR to Hyatt points. Is it possible without owning any of the AF Chase UR cards?.

I'm way over 5/24 so applying for CSR, CSP, CIP is not an option for me at the moment.

Any advise would gladly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatMongo
Can someone advise if it is possible to transfer UR points to UR Transfer Partners [...] without owning any of the AF Chase UR cards?
Not possible, although in a narrow set of cases one can "combine" UR with another Chase customer's UR account, and that user can transfer if s/he has a premium UR card. See wiki.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:42 am
mia

Originally Posted by TheGreatMongo
... Is it possible without owning any of the AF Chase UR cards?....
No. Please review the Wikipost at the top of this thread. The only workaround is to transfer to someone else's UR account (if they hold a transfer eligible card), but there are restrictions on those transfers:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.
You may wish to try to upgrade one of your existing cards to a transfer-eligible card. You wouldn't earn a new account bonus, but you would make your points transferable.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by mia
No. Please review the Wikipost at the top of this thread. The only workaround is to transfer to someone else's UR account (if they hold a transfer eligible card), but there are restrictions on those transfers:

You may wish to try to upgrade one of your existing cards to a transfer-eligible card. You wouldn't earn a new account bonus, but you would make your points transferable.
Thanks for the quick response. Would you know if its is possible to product change from a no annual fee to a card with one? ie, Chase freedom -> CSP.

If not, guess I will have to go into the branch monthly to check for pre-approval. I do have both a checking acct (more than 15 yr relation), Biz Acct, Saving, MMKT with them with a decent balance. How can i tell if i'm on their marketing list for branch pre-approval?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.