Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
...trying to pick anything other than Economy...
The site design is clumsy. It sounds as if you were trying to use the boxes which appear to the left of the fare display after it searches.

Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if you were trying to use the boxes which appear to the left of the fare display after it searches.
Yes, I was.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, which I will try to follow later.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:52 am

I found this thread after spending 45 minutes trying to pick anything other than Economy (or ALL) and failing. For flights from New York (all airports) to London (all airports) next May, there was nothing but economy offered on any itinerary. Then I searched Toronto to Chicago because I actually booked this trip in business class last year on the UR portal, but now only economy was offered. The boxes for higher classes were there, but they would not respond to clicks.

It baffles me that Chase's travel agent does not offer anything above economy to people holding the Sapphire Reserve card. For that matter, it baffles me that Chase's travel agent does not offer anything above economy to everyone. It seems to me that a sale would be a sale, and someone who just holds a free card might want to travel in premium, business, or first.
I don't think the ALL class ever shows business/first if you try to filter it afterward. Also sometime when the flight only has business class and no first class, UR portal will list the business class under first class. Or it could be the other way around.. listing first class under business class. You just have to go thru every single one of the class (inside the number of traveler box) to see. I did a search on a random week in May next year from NY to London and it shows 96 flights on 16 airlines with business class tickets.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Need
I don't think the ALL class ever shows business/first if you try to filter it afterward.
That was my experience. Happily for me, mia provide a workaround (just upthread, in post #313). Thanks, mia!

Originally Posted by Need
Also sometime when the flight only has business class and no first class, UR portal will list the business class under first class.
I have seen that, and I appreciate the web site doing that rather than just saying there are no flights that match my search. Thank you for confirming what I had guessed.

Since I got further in the process than before, I looked at some seat maps. One map (for a 777?) showed two seats (A, D), an aisle, one seat (G), an aisle, and one seat (J). (There were 15 rows of seats.) How should I interpret that? Another seat map (for a Canadair?) showed three rows of three seats (A, D, F) with no aisle. How should I interpret that?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:27 am
mia

... How should I interpret that?
I would ignore the seat map format used by any travel agency, and look at the carrier's own website, or a third-party specialty site such as Seat Guru, to understand how the seats in a business or first class cabin are actually arranged.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:28 am

Since I got further in the process than before, I looked at some seat maps. One map (for a 777?) showed two seats (A, D), an aisle, one seat (G), an aisle, and one seat (J). (There were 15 rows of seats.) How should I interpret that? Another seat map (for a Canadair?) showed three rows of three seats (A, D, F) with no aisle. How should I interpret that?

Thanks for any insight.
I usually go to seatguru to look a the seating map. The one on Chase UR is just little square boxes and don't really show you where the aisle is unless you are a frequent flyer in business lie flat seats. The ones in seatguru are much better showing you the actual seat position and direction of pointing.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, mia and Need.

Where does Seat Guru get its information? From the airlines' web sites? From the airlines, but not the web sites? From user feedback?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:19 pm
mia

...From user feedback?
I don't know where they get the base diagrams, probably from a variety of sources, but the ratings come from users. Read here:

https://www.seatguru.com/about.php

Competing site: http://www.seatexpert.com/
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:45 pm

I'm interested in using my Chase UR Points (have a CSR/Ink Preferred) for a flight from LAX-HNL-OGG-LAX. What's the best possible way to use the UR points for this trip?

I've been looking online and from my research, I should be transferring the UR points to either British Airways (American or Alaska) or Korean Air (Delta) to get a roundtrip flight for 25k miles. Not sure if it's also 12.5k each way? But it seems like I have to call in order to book these flights. How exactly does that work, are the flights always going to be 12.5k miles or is that only for select dates/times?

For HNL-OGG, it seems my best bet would be booking through the Chase portal with my CSR (1.5x).

Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I realized this may have fit better with the other stickied thread about transfer partners? Sorry!

Last edited by FlyerLoop; Jul 31, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

That was my experience. Happily for me, mia provide a workaround (just upthread, in post #313). Thanks, mia!
And that workaround has now been added to the wiki.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Thanks for this - answered my question. Chase should really state this more clearly on the travel portal.

Originally Posted by michael_v
I called both Chase UR and Citi Thankyou and neither supports one-way rentals. They are both run by the same travel company.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I'd like to book a room using UR, but I am traveling with my small dog, and I don't see a spot to add him to the reservation. I know the hotel is dog friendly (with a pet fee). Has anyone done this? Should I book directly through the hotel website instead, so that there is no risk? Or can I simply call them after booking to let them know I'll have my pet?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:57 pm
mia

Originally Posted by hopelesslybourgeois
... I don't see a spot to add him to the reservation....
If the hotel is part of a chain, does the chain's website have a place to add that information?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Hmm. One of the hotels I'm considering does, and the other does not, but it does have a write-in for special requests.
Originally Posted by mia
If the hotel is part of a chain, does the chain's website have a place to add that information?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by hopelesslybourgeois
... it does have a write-in for special requests.
I think it would work just as well to contract the property directly to notify them, however you may find that the property does not have any record of a reservation made through Chase's site until a day or two before the stay begins. If advance notice is critical to securing a suitable room this is probably not the best way for you to book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.