Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:53 am

A couple of data points on recent hotel stays:

I booked a Hilton stay through the Reserve UR Portal and entered my HHonors number into the portal (I have Gold Status). Upon checkin, the agent recognized the Gold Status without me having to add my number. I did have to ask him for the breakfast benefit, which he was happy to give me (voucher for restaurant on site). As of now, it looks like no HHhonors points were rewarded (as expected).

I booked a Marriott stay also through the Reserve UR portal, also entered my Marriott number into the portal, but did call Marriott Rewards to see if it was added. The phone agent told me they didn't see it and I'd have to do it at check-in. So, at check-in I did ask the agent to add it, and they happily did, giving the gold benefits of access to the M club lounge which had breakfast and acknowledging late check-out. Once again, no points rewarded.

I'm actually content without the points earning through UR as long as status benefits are recognized, which in my case they have been. With the redemption rate of $.015 per point through the Reserve UR Portal, it's tough to get much better for hotel stays.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by hman414
The Chase SR "1.5X on travel" is misleading...

Example:

I went to book a night in April at the Embassy Suites Niagara Falls, ON on the C SR travel portal. A fallsview room was $150.00 or 10,000 points. Ok fine, so according to Chase the points are worth 1.5X on travel.

When I go to Hilton.com or the hotel website directly I can get the exact room for US$107.00

And for that price I am getting Hhonors points and elite qualifying credit.

I get NO Hhonors points or elite qualifying credit booking through the C SR travel portal.

Also, when booking through Chase SR they could not tell me what floor my room will be on (at this hotel the higher the floor, the better view of the falls). If I book through Hilton or the hotel website I will know what floor I will be on.

Unless I am missing something here, booking through the C SR travel portal is not worth it at all, at least in this instance...
Maybe I'm missing something. You can either book through Hilton and pay real $'s or book through CSR and get a "free room"

As far as getting benefits. Once you get your confirmation from Chase, call Hilton and with your date and name add your HH number to the res. You can then log onto HH and see your res and when check in time comes you can pick your room.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
After waiting about a month, I tested again to try to get UA F seats to show up.

Nothing... all they have is Y available. AA and DL are available for F.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:23 pm

Has anybody else experienced this? I booked a Fairmont Hotel through Chase UR portal, then tried to deal with the hotel in regard to some requests, but they had no reservation for me. They ended up contacting Chase and were told that Chase will not release the reservation to the hotel until 24-48 hours before check in? This seems bizarre to me (and to the hotel). I can't see what possible benefit this might have for Chase and can foresee a whole lot of potential problems
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
... I can't see what possible benefit this might have for Chase...
If this is a prepaid stay Connexions will buy the night(s) from a consolidator at a discount. This won't affect the price you pay, it's part of their profit strategy.

This is mentioned in the terms:

Due to hotel Supplier policies applicable to Travel Services’ preferred rates, your name may not be provided to the hotel Supplier until 24 hours prior to your arrival. Special requests, such as bed type, smoking preferences or in room amenities, are subject to hotel availability.
https://ultimaterewardstravel.chase...._ltg=UR2Footer

Last edited by mia; Apr 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:28 pm

Redeeming points through Chase travel portal will give pretty bad value.
If you play your card right, for exactly 100K Chase Ultimate Reward points total, you can get all these:
1) BKK - SGN in J
2) SIN - HKG in F
3) NRT - BKK in F
4) ICN - NRT in J
5) HKG - BKK in F
6) SGN - ICN in J
7) BKK - SYD in F

+ about $250 all-in for tax, fee, fuel surcharge etc...(or $0 if factor in the $300 travel credit for CSR card)

Happy hunting !!! ^_^

Last edited by hondaman82; Apr 17, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA - Premier Silver
Hi all, newbie here. Would greatly appreciate help with the below (probably very basic) questions:
  1. How do I earn United miles from a Lufthansa flight booked through CSR UR portal?
  2. How do I ensure BEFORE booking that a flight I book through CSR UR will be the correct booking class that allows me to apply a United Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) to the flight afterward?

Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:58 pm

Anyone see this post? Somewhat concerning considering post #151 above as well.

Chase travel concierge put my friend in a horrible situation
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:14 am

Yes, my situation and now that post, along with the note from the terms provided by mia, definitely give me pause in regard to using Chase to book hotels. There was definitely nothing special about the rate provided to me as I could get the same rate directly at the hotels or through Visa Signature Hotels, or through any number of OTAs.
Sounds like they are very good at taking reservations, just not so good at holding reservations.
Just a note, although I can't say for sure, the hotel mentioned that my reservation was made by Expedia
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I could get the same rate directly at the hotels or through Visa Signature Hotels, or through any number of OTAs.
Chase (in common with all other card issuers) outsources the travel booking function to an agency. You could experience the same delayed placement of the booking with VISA Signature Hotels, or any OTA. The only way to avoid it is to book directly with the chain or property.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:35 am

Yes, my situation and now that post, along with the note from the terms provided by mia, definitely give me pause in regard to using Chase to book hotels. There was definitely nothing special about the rate provided to me as I could get the same rate directly at the hotels or through Visa Signature Hotels, or through any number of OTAs.
Sounds like they are very good at taking reservations, just not so good at holding reservations.
Just a note, although I can't say for sure, the hotel mentioned that my reservation was made by Expedia
I only did it once to book a hotel thru Chase UR portal at Hard Rock Hotel at Orlando. I did it because I have no status with Hard Rock so booking directly will not gain me any elite benefits and the room is over $500 a night so using CSR points to book is a huge incentive.

I book that hotel because my cousins are staying there. We book the same room category, but when we check in, they gave us a ground floor room. My cousins (4 rooms total) are all on the 6th floor. Because we checked in a few minutes earlier, they actually asked to be placed near us. The clerk asked them that why was our room on the ground floor? The ground floor is for people with pet, do they have pet? I feel like Chase UR kind of put us in a "Priceline" room.

But after reading the posts above, I guess we were lucky that we actually got a room! I didn't call the hotel to confirm!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
"And that's really the most important part..."
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:00 pm

Chase Ultimate Rewards Fail and Compensation

I feel like Chase really screwed up on my situation. I made a 4-night hotel reservation using Chase points through their travel system. Received confirmation email, but when I arrived at hotel with family of 5, the hotel had no record of my reservation and was fully booked. I called Chase and after being on hold for an hour, the rep told me that the hotel only had the first night available. She told me to go ahead and check-in for the first night, and to call them back later as they figured it out. She also said that Chase would reimburse me for the first night.

I check in, have dinner, and call back a couple hours later. I speak with Chase Rep #2 , who acknowledges that the hotel is fully booked and I have to find somewhere else to stay for the rest of the 3 nights. I ask her to confirm the first night free that the first rep had offered. She says she sees no documentation of this and refuses. I ask to speak to someone else, or to listen to the recording, and she refuses, essentially questioning my integrity. This goes on for almost an hour when she puts me on hold indefinitely. I hang up and call back to speak with Chase rep 3, who agrees to go back to the recording. After another hour, she says that I'm right and that Chase will honor what the first rep had offered. She also refunds my original points and gives me an extra 5000 points.

I go to find hotels for the remaining 3 nights and every suite in the area is booked. The only room I can find is a single smoking room. Staying in one room with 3 young kids means that when the kids go to bed, my wife and I have to hang out in the bathroom. Not to mention the smoking smell. Fortunately, I was able to find a suite open up for the remaining 2 nights, so I book that, but the price is $50/night more than my original reservation through Chase. So now I'm paying extra money due to Chase's screw up. I tell Chase how frustrating the rest of my 3 nights have been and ask for additional compensation, basically to cover this extra $50/night. This is not back-breaking money, but I thought it would be a nice gesture from their end. I am immediately and repeatedly declined any further compensation.

Most people I've talked to agree that Chase really should give me more to compensate, not only for messing up my reservation, but for the terrible service, especially from Chase rep 2, and the impact in terms of cost and wasted time that it had on the rest of my vacation. I feel like screwing up a reservation is one thing, but I would expect Chase to really go above and beyond to make things right with the customer which I definitely didn't get that feeling.

Have others had similar experiences? Should I expect more compensation from Chase?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:44 pm

Family members had a similar issue to the above with a recent booking in Las Vegas. Non-smoking room clearly listed on Chase reservation summary. Arrive at the hotel and they're told that in the reservation notes a smoking room was explicitly requested. Manager refuses to change to non-smoking without notification from Expedia/Chase even though they have "plenty" of non-smoking rooms available. After 45 minutes the manager finally gives in and changes to non-smoking.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cathat12
I feel like screwing up a reservation is one thing, but I would expect Chase to really go above and beyond to make things right with the customer which I definitely didn't get that feeling.
Your expectation is way too high.

Chase ranked 5th in 2016 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study by J.D. Power, slightly under the industrial average.

Above and beyond simply does not exist with Chase.

Originally Posted by cathat12
Should I expect more compensation from Chase?
1. How many UR have you used originally?

2. How many UR have you used actually (after all refunds and extra credits)?

3. What was your non-UR out-of-pocket expenses?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.