Any way to find your Spending Limit on Chase?

Old Jan 14, 17, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Any way to find your Spending Limit on Chase?

I have a Chase Freedom and Sapphire Reserve, and wondered if they worked similar to other high limit cards where your spending limit is a completely different number from your credit limit. It seems like they don't make this very clear and when I called Chase she said your credit limit is 30k you can't spend more than that.

However, I've found on both Citi AAdvantage and Capital One Quicksilver I got similar answers when I called, but this was not true. The cards have a "credit limit" which is the most you can carry month-to-month, and a hidden spending limit which is the most they are comfortable with you putting on the card. For example I was told my Cap One QS card with a 20k limit would decline any purchases over 20k, but put 38k on the card and didn't even get a simple phone call, the bill was almost 19k at the end of the month though as I can only carry 20k per month as a credit balance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have some very large expenses over the next 45 days and wanted the points, but since most card companies act like or just don't know what your real spending limit is, I'm not sure how to find out.
Old Jan 14, 17, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
I don't know of any "official" way to find the real limit—but I've routinely put ~3x my limit on my JPM Reserve (formerly Select) card with nary a peep from Chase despite this putting me up to $100k over my limit. I haven't tried with any of my other Chase cards, since only the JPM card is a hidden tradeline, and I don't want to risk that utilization getting reported.
Old Jan 14, 17, 6:23 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
There is no numerical answer. All MasterCard World and World Elite cards, and all VISA Signature and Infinite cards have a No Preset Spending Limit feature. This is to compete with American Express charge cards which have had the same feature since the 1960's. The stated credit limit is the amount you can carry (revolve) and pay interest on, not the maximum you can spend.

NPSL does not mean unlimited spending, it means that transactions are evaluated based on your history and on what the issuer knows about your ability to pay. Chase knows more about a Private Bank client than they do about those of us who have only credit card accounts. If you typically spend $500 per month and try to make a $50,000 purchase it will trigger an alarm, no matter what your credit limit is.
Old Jan 14, 17, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy LT Titanium (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mia View Post
There is no numerical answer. All MasterCard World and World Elite cards, and all VISA Signature and Infinite cards have a No Preset Spending Limit feature. This is to compete with American Express charge cards which have had the same feature since the 1960's. The stated credit limit is the amount you can carry (revolve) and pay interest on, not the maximum you can spend.

NPSL does not mean unlimited spending, it means that transactions are evaluated based on your history and on what the issuer knows about your ability to pay. Chase knows more about a Private Bank client than they do about those of us who have only credit card accounts. If you typically spend $500 per month and try to make a $50,000 purchase it will trigger an alarm, no matter what your credit limit is.
Will NPSL cards reflect over-utilization or is that reported differently?
Old Jan 15, 17, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles View Post
Will NPSL cards reflect over-utilization or is that reported differently?
Even just going over 30% of utilization on a card that reports to credit bureaus can lower your credit score. (And there's a lot of distance between 30% and going past your credit limit!) If you're concerned about utilization, you should be using either a (non-Cap1) business card (whether or not you have a "true" business):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...solidated.html
or a charge card that does not report to credit bureaus, or make payments mid-cycle so that your utilization (as reported only once a month) looks lower when reported than it might have been at another time of month.

Search this Thread