Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the cardsuch as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not availablethe card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Online 100k bonus ending next Thursday Jan 12th per TPG.

In-branch offer will remain 100k bonus thru March 12.

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/chas...-bonus-ending/

Last edited by Troopers; Jan 3, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by DocAmaresh
Thanks Mia.
Hope it'll gently snow down into my mailbox then, ready for me tp pick it up when I return home next week ...
It comes UPS overnight delv. So I would sign up with ups my choice so they'll let you know the night before delv. and give you a time(9-noon, noon-6 etc).
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Here we go.... the devaluation begins... one step at a time.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eajusa
What devaluation? They gave a pretty generous advanced warning and have said all along that 100k wasn't going to last forever. The reports out there say the signup bonus has cost them something to the tune of $200MM.

I'm just glad they spent it on giving a big signup bonus instead of on traditional marketing.

Chase UR has been around for a long time and unless they suddenly stop 1:1 transfers to their partners, there's no sky falling here. Arguably this benefits us collectively (especially those committed to the Chase UR ecosystem beyond just CSR and who intend to whole it long term) since it puts a cap on the amount of UR created out of nothing which in turns limits how many UR ---> XYZ are chasing awards.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
What devaluation?
Possibly the earning multipliers, PP # of guests or reduction/restriction of airline credit.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:25 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think not. This is standard marketing and closely follows the pattern used with the British Airways card in 2009, as mentioned here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27000013-post167.html
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Actually I think a devaluation would be more likely to occur if they kept the 100,000 signup bonus. Just like when the government keeps printing more money, everything cost more.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:32 pm

Nothing's actually being devalued, the sign up bonus is being reduced.
The 100k bonus was a limited offer. I'm surprised the offer lasted as long as it did. Consider how quickly Amex's 100k offers for their Platinum card lasts (hours or days at best)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:41 pm

I'm at 6/24 - 5/24 with an AU removed - and won't be to 4 until April. No preapproval in branch a month or so ago, so figured I'd just wait and maybe check again in Jan/Feb, or otherwise wait until April. Now I guess it's probably worth giving it a shot before the 100k disappears. 50k points are probably worth the potential denial.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:43 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by meraki
...Consider how quickly Amex's 100k offers for their Platinum card lasts (hours or days at best)
That's only true of leaked offers which are not intended to be public. THIS 100,000 point offer was published in early October and runs until 25 January.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Just a quick dp - Spouse went 4/24 as of 12/18/16. I was going to wait a little longer to apply for her, since she only went 4/24 two weeks ago, but then heard the 100k bonus was ending soon so (nervously) decided to pull the trigger and applied online today. Got pending review, she called the recon line, and after moving some credit around and verifying her identity, she was approved! Luckily, she's previously seen the value of all my cc app antics, so no need for debate or defending myself anymore.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Actually I think a devaluation would be more likely to occur if they kept the 100,000 signup bonus. Just like when the government keeps printing more money, everything cost more.
100% correct.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by txpenny
100% correct.
Except for that it doesn't...

It was fairly obvious that the 100k offer wasn't a long term thing. They'll probably start doing targeted 100k mailers and what not just like Amex with the Plat.

It's unclear to me how this is a devaluation...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
$300 Travel Credit

moved
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Do you need an existing banking relationship with Chase in order to be pre approved in branch? I dont have a bank acct but there is a branch on the corner. Do i just show up and fill out an app?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.