Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Chase looks at the TOTAL exposure you have. If you do not reduce the existing credit lines, then the requisite 10K from the CSR would UP the total exposure by that 10K, increase the bank's risk.

Chase is NOT as readily to move CL around cards, the thought of such is very outdated for well over 2 or more years.

These days the effort is to Actively Manage a person's total exposure to a bank, some banks are more sensitive than others naturally.

Besides, why you would need SIX Chase cards? Any particular reasons you need ALL OF THEM?

Lower your credit lines first because the freed up lines would go back to your profile much faster than a canceled card which would still "hoard" the credit line even after closure, probably the banks want to make sure any unbilled yet transaction, especially the recurring one, would not bring risk to them. Virtually all banks seem to operate this way when it comes to WHEN the freed up lines would become available.

Finally you certainly can control your utilization as pallhedge advised. If as you claim your usage is so low, then it probably wont make any difference, depends on how your definition of being "low". Anything below 15 to 20% should not be an issue for cardholders with long history and impeccable payment history with a bank.
as stated above, my credit utilization according to Chase’s credit monitoring program is 3%. All statement balances are paid in full on time.

I have three Chase cards that see regular use: the Sapphire, Freedom, and Amazon Prime. I also have the Southwest, United MP Explorer, and Marriott which I got for the sign up bonuses. I have continued to rotate spending on those three to show some useage even after the sign up. I also do plan to make use of benefits from the Marriott and United card for at least another year or two. Southwest card I plan to upgrade to the new Southwest Priority as I would get good use out of those benefits.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tjh8402
...., my credit utilization according to Chase’s credit monitoring program is 3%. All statement balances are paid in full on time.
Two observations:

1. The service that Chase provides to cardholders is apparently not the one they use to evaluate applications. Don't attach any special significance to it.

2. Paying on time is irrelevant to calculating Utilization. Utilization is basically the total of all reported balances divided by the sum of all credit limits. If you reduced your aggregate limits (from all issuers) by half, your Utilization should change from 3% to 6%, and that's unlikely to affect approval.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm confused.

Originally Posted by pallhedge
You can control your own utilization by paying your cards' balances down before the statement dates.
Originally Posted by mia
2. Paying on time is irrelevant to calculating Utilization. Utilization is basically the total of all reported balances divided by the sum of all credit limits. If you reduced your aggregate limits (from all issuers) by half, your Utilization should change from 3% to 6%, and that's unlikely to affect approval.
Are balances reported only at the statement date?

When does the balance on a particular card divided by the credit limit on that particular card have an effect? Is it worth (or even effective) paying in advance of the statement date to reduce this ratio?

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by serpens
Generally yes.

When does the balance on a particular card divided by the credit limit on that particular card have an effect? Is it worth (or even effective) paying in advance of the statement date to reduce this ratio?
Yes to the latter, if your utilization drops from say 50% to 5%. As for the former, there is utilization for each card and there’s overall utilization; you can have a reasonable overall utilization, yet a card that’s maxed out.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:33 pm

I peeked at February 27, 2018 for this article, but didn’t find it there, seems interesting enough though. "JPMorgan revealed that the card cleared that crucial hurdle, with 90% of Sapphire Reserve customers renewing."

https://www.businessinsider.com/chas...ay-drug-2018-2
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:50 pm

For most cards, yes.
When does the balance on a particular card divided by the credit limit on that particular card have an effect?
After the Statement Date when the balance is reported to the CRAs.
Is it worth (or even effective) paying in advance of the statement date to reduce this ratio?
If you have utilization problems, it's worth it. I don't do it, but for some with few or only 1 credit card, it could be a good strategy.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
....90% of Sapphire Reserve customers renewing.....
I am unable to read the linked article due to a subscription pop-up, but the data that I have seen does not actually support this claim. 90% of Sapphire Reserve accounts were still open as of a specific date. A downgraded account is still open, which means some of those accounts are open, but not paying $450/year.

This has been discussed in another thread, probably one of these:

Sapphire Reserve card has cost JPM up to $300 million in Q4 profit

WSJ: Reserve cards aren't very rewarding for JPM
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mia
I am unable to read the linked article due to a subscription pop-up, but the data that I have seen does not actually support this claim. 90% of Sapphire Reserve accounts were still open as of a specific date. A downgraded account is still open, which means some of those accounts are open, but not paying $450/year.
I agree the 90% retention should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes, there’s some funky subscription stuff going on there. Clearing the cookies for businessinsider.com helps on some of my devices. You may have better luck with the referring article using this url.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chas...ut-down-2018-7

Or "I’m still shocked by the retention rates on this card being above 90% given the $450 annual fee."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...-annual-spend/

"J.P. Morgan Finance Chief Marianne Lake tempered expectations stating that retention rates were “so far, very encouraging…better than our expectations, but a little early to sort of draw firm conclusions.””

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...apphire-cards/

But the average FICO of 785 is intriguing.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Happy
Chase looks at the TOTAL exposure you have. If you do not reduce the existing credit lines, then the requisite 10K from the CSR would UP the total exposure by that 10K, increase the bank's risk.

Chase is NOT as readily to move CL around cards, the thought of such is very outdated for well over 2 or more years.
On my last two Chase applications, one of which was just two months ago, approval was conditional on moving some of my other Chase card credit limits to the new card. So it may be less common than it used to be, but it's certainly not completely outdated.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
On my last two Chase applications, one of which was just two months ago, approval was conditional on moving some of my other Chase card credit limits to the new card. So it may be less common than it used to be, but it's certainly not completely outdated.
The forum has gone thru the merit on hoarding credit versus actively managing the total exposure with Chase or any other banks, but in particularly with Chase, many months ago. I would say at least 2 or more years ago.

Yes, Chase can still move credit lines but we have seen many DPs when the recon reps would not budge. The merit to reduce the total exposure is precisely to prevent the need to call recon and hope the rep would agree to move CL thus approve your application.

It boils down to, which is your preference - actively managing one's CL to enhance instant aproval ratio or let it be, and then count on the recon reps would be willing to move CL.
The choice is always individual, though I suspect most people would prefer an instant approval instead. Actively managing the total exposure is one positive way to increase the odd for an instant approval, and that was the essence of the old debate.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Chase AVGIS Bump

Chase Saphire Reserve AVIS Car Agency Perk
Have a CSR CC and used Chase portal to apply for 'AVIS Preferred' Discount Status which allows 30% plus car upgrade where available.
'AVIS Preferred' status free car upgrade is NOT applicable when in Europe as you must be 'AVIS Preferred PLUS'.

After clicking 'AVIS Preferred' Offer on Chase portal I was redicted to AVIS web site and after completing information I was upgraded to 'AVIS Preferred PLUS' which means in Europe where available I might get a free car upgrade.

Since I have a corporate discount code applicable only for the US I get free vehicle insurance(CDW,LDW, Loss of Use) and car upgrade I was previously classified as 'AVIS Preferred'.

Now through Chase CSR you can be eligible for 'AVIS Preferred PLUS' status even though Chase web site says 'AVIS Preferred'.

Nice little perk Chase Card Member Services doesn't know about.

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2019 at 11:31 am Reason: Moved to more appropriate thread.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by euromannn
Chase Saphire Reserve AVIS Car Agency Perk
Have a CSR CC and used Chase portal to apply for 'AVIS Preferred' Discount Status which allows 30% plus car upgrade where available.
'AVIS Preferred' status free car upgrade is NOT applicable when in Europe as you must be 'AVIS Preferred PLUS'.

After clicking 'AVIS Preferred' Offer on Chase portal I was redicted to AVIS web site and after completing information I was upgraded to 'AVIS Preferred PLUS' which means in Europe where available I might get a free car upgrade.

Since I have a corporate discount code applicable only for the US I get free vehicle insurance(CDW,LDW, Loss of Use) and car upgrade I was previously classified as 'AVIS Preferred'.

Now through Chase CSR you can be eligible for 'AVIS Preferred PLUS' status even though Chase web site says 'AVIS Preferred'.

Nice little perk Chase Card Member Services doesn't know about.
That's a general Visa Infinite perk, not just CSR.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by tmiw
That's a general Visa Infinite perk, not just CSR.
OK ---- I saw INFITE VISA in top right corner of AVIS web page.

Since I'm now AVIS Prefered PLUS ----- upgrade is an option internationally and with primary insurance coverage where applicable(what ever that means) with my CSR.

Appreciate the clarification.

Last edited by euromannn; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
OK ---- I saw INFITE VISA in top right corner of AVIS web page.

Since I'm now AVIS Prefered PLUS ----- upgrade is an option internationally and with primary insurance coverage where applicable(what ever that means) with my CSR.

Appreciate the clarification.
No worries. I honestly didn't realize that the upgraded status required manual steps over email until I saw your post, so glad for the reminder. ^

The weird thing is that I thought I signed up for it originally when I first got my CSR (I was only a Hertz member before), but I guess the upgraded status never actually applied for whatever reason. In any case, I sent the required email to them and we'll see how long it takes for them to actually apply the new status.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Thanks for that... hadn't realized it was Plus level. Avis is our preferred corporate provider so this will be a nice little perk this year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.