Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Amex Gold is my other go-to card, but I couldn't imagine ditching my CSR at this point. Amex acceptance worldwide is far too inconsistent to drop the Visa, and as others have said, the reward categories for the Amex Gold don't extend overseas. The travel insurance I get with the CSR also keeps me around. Not sure that I want the Amex Platinum yet, and last I checked, the travel insurance offerings with it didn't quite match those of the CSR.

That said, domestically, I've moved all of my restaurant and grocery spend to the Amex Gold. (Grocery spend was on the Chase Freedom Unlimited Before - nice to get 4x instead of 1.5x on that now.) CSR is still my go-to travel card, but if I had the Amex Platinum, yeah, you could make a case for that pretty easily. I just don't want two large annual fees right now, even with them being mostly offset by various credits. It would be much easier to replace the CSR if not for the lousy acceptance of the Amex outside the States.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If you want an UR card, cancel the CSR and get a CIP. 80k sign up bonus and still 3x on travel. Yeah, you don't get 3x on dining internationally but - depending upon where you travel (like Asia) - a lot of the smaller places and street food places don't take credit cards anyway.
Yeah, if you can get a CIP. For many people that requires "inventing" a business, and being under 5/24. Also, the only restaurants where I haven't gotten CC acceptance in Asia are on the super cheap end where I would barely earn rewards anyway. That's not often where I am eating. There have been many occasions where, since I've paid on behalf of a group, using an AMEX instead of the CSR would be throwing away an extra 3000 points that I easily turn into 2c each. $60 thrown away.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Plat gets 5x airfare booked directly with an airline, domestic or international.
You know what I meant. Airfare is generally purchased online anyway.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Dec 12, 2018 at 6:28 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

It is just funny that people keep asking the same type questions and do not provide much background. Then all the posters will reply with HIS/HER OWN situation and never consider the OP's situation. There is no good or perfect answer to this type of questions since we all manage CCs and spending differently.

I'd advise folks work on a simple spreadsheet and jog down spending and categories and calculate the rewards. Then it can give you a good answer.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia
If I recall, VISA Infinite cards usually require a $10,000 minimum initial line of credit. How does that compare to other cards from Chase or other major issuers?
Interesting you should ask that. Just this morning, I happened to look into it and found Reserve 10K, Preferred 5K, Freedom, Ink 3K. Had no clue what an Infinite card is.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The math is really very simple and basic - can you use the benefits enough to make the AF essentially become zero or even negative.

CSR annual fee is a Net of $150 after the $300 travel credit. Do you get enough benefits that can easily have a $ value attached to, that can reduce this net $150 and to what degree?

For our household we had 2 CSRs in the first year, then Xed one. We weren't sure we would keep it for the 3rd year. However we have been able to get more than $150 worth of real benefits from PP alone just on one international trip. So the card is a keeper, for now. eClaims on CDW coverage also is very easy to deal with, at least in our expeniences - a claim of 1400 euro was settled within a week, from the day we filed to the day the money was ACHed to our bank account. (Settlement was 1298 euro but still more than should be paid as the 1400 euro incl almost 200 euro airport surcharge on the repair that is spelled out in the T&Cs not covered but the adjuster just approved the bill from Budget Catania, Sicily that was 1298 euro incl partial airport surcharge.)

So to me, the key to justify whether you keep a high fee card is not how much you earn from the card to justify the fee - because your earning would be REDUCED by the fee. What you should look at is, Can you utilize the benefits enough that the value of the benefits would equal or more than the Net Fee charged.
I am surprised ours work out that way. Hadn't thought this would be the case. Was to keep CIP but now would cancel CIP and keep CSR.

We have AMEX Gold and BBP but not Plat. Have no intention to get a fee-based Plat either. Can't justify the $550 fee. Most likely would cancel the Gold after its first free year, again cannot justify the $250 even though $100 airline offsetting but that is not a real offsetting as you have to do the airline GC trick and the airline GCs just sit there, become dead money in our case. I know it would be different to others. Still, dont have enough category bonus to offset the $150 because other cards, incl No Fee cards only earn a little less and are ready cash, versus AMEX membership reward points,

Last edited by Happy; Dec 13, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:16 am

Hey guys I have a question on getting approved for the CSR. I have a CSP that I've had for I think 6 years. I'm at 4/24, Chase says my credit score is 806 with 3% utilization, and annual income is $61k. I would like to cancel the CSP and then go for the sign up bonus on the CSR, but i don't want to give up the CSP and then get denied for the CSR and be left with no Sapphire. What do y'all think my odds are of getting approved? Perhaps go to a branch and see if I am pre approved for it?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tjh8402
....cancel the CSP ....
Downgrade the Sapphire Preferred to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited (*not* to the free Sapphire card). Wait at least a week. Apply for Sapphire Reserve. If not approved, after exhausting all appeals, ask to have the Freedom changed back to a Sapphire product.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
... annual income is $61k ...
I can only add to mia's prudent advice that Chase generally likes to issue half of your income as a credit limit across all your cards and that the minimum credit limit for Reserve being an Infinite card is $10,000.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I can only add to mia's prudent advice that Chase generally likes to issue half of your income as a credit limit across all your cards and that the minimum credit limit for Reserve being an Infinite card is $10,000.
Good to know. I am beyond that already, having $38k in credit from Chase spread over 6 cards (including the Sapphire Preferred). I don't need that on most of them (obviously with my useage being so low), so I would have to transfer credit from some of those cards. Would that cause a problem? Should I try to consolidate some of that on one card that it can easily be pulled from instead of pulling a bit from a few different cards.

Last edited by tjh8402; Dec 14, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:24 pm

Good to know. I am beyond that already, having $38k in credit from Chase spread over 6 cards (including the Sapphire Reserve). I don't need that on most of them (obviously with my useage being so low), so I would have to transfer credit from some of those cards. Would that cause a problem? Should I try to consolidate some of that on one card that it can easily be pulled from instead of pulling a bit from a few different cards.
$38k credit limit including sapphire reserve? I thought thats the card you wanted to open.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by vm81
$38k credit limit including sapphire reserve? I thought thats the card you wanted to open.
sorry typo. I meant Sapphire Preferred.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:59 pm

sorry typo. I meant Sapphire Preferred.
I recommend reducing your credit limits across all your Chase cards to about $20k total. This will allow for the additional $10k credit limit that Chase will need to approve you for the Sapphire Reserve.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I recommend reducing your credit limits across all your Chase cards to about $20k total. This will allow for the additional $10k credit limit that Chase will need to approve you for the Sapphire Reserve.
Won't that put a dent in my credit rating by bringing my utilization up? you're talking an almost 50% cut in my Chase credit limit. They would look more favorably on that rather than just transferring credit from the other cards to a CSR?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:10 am

Won't that put a dent in my credit rating by bringing my utilization up? you're talking an almost 50% cut in my Chase credit limit. They would look more favorably on that rather than just transferring credit from the other cards to a CSR?
You can control your own utilization by paying your cards' balances down before the statement dates. Just do that for 1 month prior to applying for CSR.

You can't control whether or not Chase will be willing to transfer credit from other cards to approve you. They do it occasionally, but I wouldn't rely on it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase looks at the TOTAL exposure you have. If you do not reduce the existing credit lines, then the requisite 10K from the CSR would UP the total exposure by that 10K, increase the bank's risk.

Chase is NOT as readily to move CL around cards, the thought of such is very outdated for well over 2 or more years.

These days the effort is to Actively Manage a person's total exposure to a bank, some banks are more sensitive than others naturally.

Besides, why you would need SIX Chase cards? Any particular reasons you need ALL OF THEM?

Lower your credit lines first because the freed up lines would go back to your profile much faster than a canceled card which would still "hoard" the credit line even after closure, probably the banks want to make sure any unbilled yet transaction, especially the recurring one, would not bring risk to them. Virtually all banks seem to operate this way when it comes to WHEN the freed up lines would become available.

Finally you certainly can control your utilization as pallhedge advised. If as you claim your usage is so low, then it probably wont make any difference, depends on how your definition of being "low". Anything below 15 to 20% should not be an issue for cardholders with long history and impeccable payment history with a bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.