Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old May 26, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
So, I just got my CSR and am about to buy a $2k plane ticket to help with bonus spend and knock out the $300 credit all at once. But...reading the T&C: "Therefore, any purchases that qualify for the $300 Annual Travel Credit will not earn points."

One could interpret that as my $2k purchase qualified for the $300 credit, so the entire purchase will not receive points (vs. just the first $300). I obviously don't want to pass up on the remaining 5,100 UR points.

I don't know how many others have encountered this yet since they just made the change, but am interested to hear any thoughts. I won't have any problem meeting the $4k spend otherwise, this would just allow me to do it a bit quicker.

ETA: Nevermind. I just missed the header that even for my new card, the no-points change doesn't take effect until August. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a fight with Chase. But, leaving this post here as I don't think this has been discussed in this thread just yet. I guess we won't have data points until this fall.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
So, I just got my CSR and am about to buy a $2k plane ticket to help with bonus spend and knock out the $300 credit all at once. But...reading the T&C: "Therefore, any purchases that qualify for the $300 Annual Travel Credit will not earn points."

One could interpret that as my $2k purchase qualified for the $300 credit, so the entire purchase will not receive points (vs. just the first $300). I obviously don't want to pass up on the remaining 5,100 UR points.

I don't know how many others have encountered this yet since they just made the change, but am interested to hear any thoughts. I won't have any problem meeting the $4k spend otherwise, this would just allow me to do it a bit quicker.

ETA: Nevermind. I just missed the header that even for my new card, the no-points change doesn't take effect until August. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a fight with Chase. But, leaving this post here as I don't think this has been discussed in this thread just yet. I guess we won't have data points until this fall.
I agree that it's poorly worded but the revocation of the 3x points for the $300 travel credit will be limited to the $300 that is actually reimbursed.

If otherwise, Chase would simply announce that the card no longer offers 3x points on travel....there would be no need to include the "qualifies for the $300 travel credit" portion of the announcement.

Further, once you've exhausted your $300 travel credit, then additional travel wouldn't qualify for the $300 travel credit since you no longer have a $300 travel credit.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I agree that it's poorly worded but the revocation of the 3x points for the $300 travel credit will be limited to the $300 that is actually reimbursed.

If otherwise, Chase would simply announce that the card no longer offers 3x points on travel....there would be no need to include the "qualifies for the $300 travel credit" portion of the announcement.

Further, once you've exhausted your $300 travel credit, then additional travel wouldn't qualify for the $300 travel credit since you no longer have a $300 travel credit.
I agree it's confusing, but what I meant wasn't that future purchases wouldn't be 3X, rather that the remaining $1700 of my $2000 single transaction would be excluded since a portion of that same transaction was ineligible. Basically, if any part of a transaction is ineligible, the whole thing becomes so.

I've been burned before by travel insurance where if I charged any part of my trip to a method other than the credit card in question (even a single dollar), the entire trip was not covered.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree it's confusing, but what I meant wasn't that future purchases wouldn't be 3X, rather that the remaining $1700 of my $2000 single transaction would be excluded since a portion of that same transaction was ineligible. Basically, if any part of a transaction is ineligible, the whole thing becomes so.

I've been burned before by travel insurance where if I charged any part of my trip to a method other than the credit card in question (even a single dollar), the entire trip was not covered.
Chase ONLY takes $300 in Cumulative total to go against the Travel Credit. Once the $300 is used up, no more travel charge would be used against the credit.

It is by Cumulative $ amount, not by transaction.

Here is an actual posting to show it to you on my husband's card 2018 Jan statement.

12/30 TRAVEL CREDIT $300/YEAR -300.00
12/30 ROYAL PRINCESS 8007746237 CA 551.42
+ 3 Points per $1 earned on travel 1,655

By this token, you can safely assume your $1700 will earn 3x.

The analogy you used is NOT even an analogy because there is absolutely nothing in common between them.

What the speculation is on how Chase IT would correctly figure this thing out - the easiest way is to subtract the pts on the credit given. This has already been the case when you have a refund on a purchase previously earned points. When the refund posted, corresponding points are deducted, or shown as a negative if you will. So it just need to also attached the code to the Travel Credit. I would bet this is how it is going to happen.

Last edited by Happy; May 26, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Chase ONLY takes $300 in Cumulative total to go against the Travel Credit. Once the $300 is used up, no more travel charge would be used against the credit.

It is by Cumulative $ amount, not by transaction.

Here is an actual posting to show it to you on my husband's card 2018 Jan statement.

12/30 TRAVEL CREDIT $300/YEAR -300.00
12/30 ROYAL PRINCESS 8007746237 CA 551.42
+ 3 Points per $1 earned on travel 1,655

By this token, you can safely assume your $1700 will earn 3x.

The analogy you used is NOT even an analogy because there is absolutely nothing in common between them.

What the speculation is on how Chase IT would correctly figure this thing out - the easiest way is to subtract the pts on the credit given. This has already been the case when you have a refund on a purchase previously earned points. When the refund posted, corresponding points are deducted, or shown as a negative if you will. So it just need to also attached the code to the Travel Credit. I would bet this is how it is going to happen.
I understand how the cumulative total works. I understand that if I make two charges of $155 each right at the beginning of my annual cycle, only $300 will be credited. Or if I make a single $2k charge, only $300 will be credited. Or if I make eleven $30 charges, only the first ten (totaling $300) will be credited.

But, by your own example, if a $2k airline ticket posts prior to the August changes, ALL $2000 of that charge will earn 3X regardless of the travel credit. That part I get.

What I was originally asking I later realized doesn't matter for me because of the timing of the changes, but I also know we don't have any data points for yet, again because of the timing of the changes. But I think the question still remains and is fair. For the Princess charge (and related credit) you posted, if it occurs in December 2018, it certainly will not generate 1655 UR. But will it generate 755 UR? Or will Chase disqualify the entire transaction, letting it generate 0 UR? We'd all obviously want the former, but I don't know that we can rule out the latter as the T&C can be interpreted in that way.

I agree that applying a UR deduction in relation to the travel credit makes the most sense (this is how Amex handles MR earnings for its credits/refunds), however since that is NOT what happens currently, I don't now that I'm as confident as you that that will be Chase's solution.

And I'm sorry if my analogy didn't make sense. I was simply trying to think of an example where the an ineligibility of a part was, by rule, extended to become an ineligibility of a whole. Such things do exist in the world, after all.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...]

I think you are quite right to raise this as a concern (and I thought your original explanation was clear), but I believe that your remaining $1,700 would qualify if you made the purchase after the new policy becomes effective. Here is an excerpt from what Chase sent to me by email.

• You will earn 3 points for each $1 spent after the first $300 is spent annually when your card is used for purchases in the travel category.

• You will no longer earn points on purchases that qualify for the $300 annual travel credit. Please see the Rewards Program Agreement for additional information.
Yes, the second bullet point does contradict the first bullet point in the simplest reading, but I think the intent is clear from the first bullet. However, I am not Chase, and large organizations do strange things. I hope someone will report what happens after August, and I'm glad that not only will you get the points on the first $300 but you don't need to worry about the issue for the remaining $1,700.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fully admit I am not always the clearest writer out there.

But glad to hear others more familiar with Chase are optimistic, especially seeing that "every $1 over" language.

Also look forward to seeing data points in August. As I'm sure is the case with others, many of my travel charges occur in chunks larger than $300 and I know simply won't plan well enough to piecemeal smaller charges together every year around my card anniversary.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Ops5
My wife has an AU card, but my assumption was that we would still be limited to 4 total. But I guess if her PP membership is completely separate from mine it might work.
AU gets their own PP card. With cardholder entrance to PP lounge with 2 guests. You would each be able to get yourselves and 2 kids each. At least, this how I read the new benefit description. I believe it is cardholder plus 2 guests.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand how the cumulative total works. I understand that if I make two charges of $155 each right at the beginning of my annual cycle, only $300 will be credited. Or if I make a single $2k charge, only $300 will be credited. Or if I make eleven $30 charges, only the first ten (totaling $300) will be credited.

But, by your own example, if a $2k airline ticket posts prior to the August changes, ALL $2000 of that charge will earn 3X regardless of the travel credit. That part I get.

What I was originally asking I later realized doesn't matter for me because of the timing of the changes, but I also know we don't have any data points for yet, again because of the timing of the changes. But I think the question still remains and is fair. For the Princess charge (and related credit) you posted, if it occurs in December 2018, it certainly will not generate 1655 UR. But will it generate 755 UR? Or will Chase disqualify the entire transaction, letting it generate 0 UR? We'd all obviously want the former, but I don't know that we can rule out the latter as the T&C can be interpreted in that way.

I agree that applying a UR deduction in relation to the travel credit makes the most sense (this is how Amex handles MR earnings for its credits/refunds), however since that is NOT what happens currently, I don't now that I'm as confident as you that that will be Chase's solution.

And I'm sorry if my analogy didn't make sense. I was simply trying to think of an example where the an ineligibility of a part was, by rule, extended to become an ineligibility of a whole. Such things do exist in the world, after all.
The example you use does not apply to this scenario.

The T&C fine print clearly tells you, travel charge above the initial $300, will earn 3x per $ starting from the 1st $ after $300. I dont see why you would still be worried if you have read the T&Cs.

We are trying to tell you that you would only lose 900 UR pts on your $2000 airline ticket purchase but if you feel so worry then either buy your ticket before the change or use a different card for the charge. Case closed.

Last edited by Happy; May 26, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
AU gets their own PP card. With cardholder entrance to PP lounge with 2 guests. You would each be able to get yourselves and 2 kids each. At least, this how I read the new benefit description. I believe it is cardholder plus 2 guests.
The caveat is, lounge has its own limit of how many guests are permitted per card. This is outside Chase policy and supercede Chase policy.. The PP site would tell you each lounge's own rules.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The example you use does not apply to this scenario.

The T&C fine print clearly tells you, travel charge above the initial $300, will earn 3x per $ starting from the 1st $ after $300. I dont see why you would still be worried if you have read the T&Cs.

We are trying to tell you that you would only lose 900 UR pts on your $2000 airline ticket purchase but if you feel so worry then either buy your ticket before the change or use a different card for the charge. Case closed.
OK.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The trend started months ago......50% reduction in sign-up bonus and realignment of travel credit from calendar year to cardmember year. We're in mid-trend.

One suspects that segregating cash back cards from UR cards is coming in the not too distant future. .
Benefits by cardmember year are annoying as hell. When does the new cardmember year start? Is it a year from when I signed up? A year from when I got my first statement? How am I supposed to figure it out when it's getting close to that date? Instead of doing it by cardmember year, they should just pro rate the annual fee and the benefits for the first year, then go to a calendar year program.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
Benefits by cardmember year are annoying as hell. When does the new cardmember year start? Is it a year from when I signed up? A year from when I got my first statement? How am I supposed to figure it out when it's getting close to that date?
All you have to do is read the Offer Details you signed up for.
Annual means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. (For applications submitted before May 21, 2017, annual means the year beginning with your account open date through the first December statement date of that same year, and the 12 billing cycles starting after your December statement date through the following December statement date each year.)
krazykanuck likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pallhedge
All you have to do is read the Offer Details you signed up for.
Sure. I and many others like myself have a year that starts on January 1. But my point is that Chase should do this for everyone, by simply pro rating the annual fee as well as the benefits during the first year and making the year for benefits always start on January 1.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:34 pm

Coming up on year 2 of CSR application...now eligible for sign-on bonus again for Sapphire card(s)...do I PC down to Freedom one month before my AF and then hold till I get under 5/24 and double-dip for CSP/CSR?

Or just say screw it and hold CSR for year 3, pay AF again (3rd time) and do the double-dip sometime in 2019 (with the potential to get the $300 statement credit twice again - once in December - once after I PC down and re-open CSR)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.