Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Regarding the "high fee" for the CSR - the difference between CSR and CSP is a net $55/year, disregarding any points earning differentials. I'm good with that. YMMV.
You forget one aspect - CSP first year fee is WAIVED. On top of that, some here can get another sign up bonus on a new CSP, plus rotation between / among household members.

So the difference is not $55 but $150 in scenario like this. I must say this is actually quite common among people I know.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What problems have yu had booking? I've found the 1.5c value to be EXCEPTIONALLY good. If you don't find what you want via the Chase site just call in and book on the phone. It's very easy. The agents will book whatever you wish in whatever booking class you ask for -- with no phone fee.

I book a lot of travel and at 3x points earning and 1.5c spend for travel this card is a 4.5% cash back card for me.
Depends on what flights you buy.

I only need to buy 4 revenue flights this year. UR could not find the SAS and LOT fare class that include checked bag on the flights I need. They only saw the equivalent of Basic Economy, or the full flexible fares. They did not see the one included a checked bag which for intra-Europe travel is a must in case you are not familiar as the carry-on has weight restriction ranging between 5 to 7 kg in most cases.

In the STICKY thread there is also an example I showed that the fare on airline website was $40 cheaper. IIRC it was a UA flight. mia actually went on Expedia and other OTAs sites to check and proved that the airline website's fare was ONLY available thru booking direct with the airline as all OTAs show the same price as UR and is $40 higher.
There are similar DPs reported by others - they found cheaper prices only available on airlines own sites.

So your 1.5x actually is not really 1.5x when the more favorable fares are only bookable directly with the airlines.

If you blindly book your flights thru UR thinking you are getting a good deal, you may want to check airlines websites first next time you call to book with UR.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
It's a perfectly acceptable representation of the value that the seller places on it, yes.
Sort of like stock market, ah?

Some seem to always buy high.

Though the difference is, buy high in a stock market hurts one's finance.

"Buy high" with point redemption boosts one's ego, or at least makes one feel good.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
And that brings us full circle back to my original point several posts ago - price is a perfectly acceptable representation of value.
I look at this differently when it comes to point/mile redemption value. The value in redemption to me is what value are the points and miles to me to for something I would spend money for anyway and or get out-sized value for an upgrade for a trip I am planning on taking.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
I look at this differently when it comes to point/mile redemption value. The value in redemption to me is what value are the points and miles to me to for something I would spend money for anyway and or get out-sized value for an upgrade for a trip I am planning on taking.
And that's great for you and I am fully supportive of how you feel you should allocate/spend your points/miles. I personally feel that my best spend is in transferring miles/points to partner airlines for F and J trips.

[removed off topic comments]

Cheers and safe travels.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 14, 2017 at 10:10 pm Reason: removed off topic commets
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Mod hat on-

Folks, let's please stay on topic (CSR attributes). This thread is drifting into slippery territory. Thx.

Mod hat off-
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you book flights through UR, you don't get qualifying dollars credit that you need to attain status, do you?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by wco81
If you book flights through UR, you don't get qualifying dollars credit that you need to attain status, do you?
Depends on the fare class that Chase ends up buying. You certainly *might*, but there's no guarantee. You can see the fare class the tickets would be in before checking out, and then look up yourself what you get for qualifying dollars/miles/segments.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Happy
So your 1.5x actually is not really 1.5x when the more favorable fares are only bookable directly with the airlines.

If you blindly book your flights thru UR thinking you are getting a good deal, you may want to check airlines websites first next time you call to book with UR.
Of course I check airline web sites & such to understand what I am buying before I try to use my UR points. I don't always use points for tickets for the reasons you cited and more (ex: some airlines are only bookable directly). But when I used UR points t buy tickets (pretty much the only way I use them) I get 1.5c/point.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Chase Sapphire Reserve @ 1 year

I was able to sign up for a CSR card, with the 100K bonus last Aug. After receiving the card I easily met the spend requirement. I found RT tickets to JFK-BKK on SQ (Premium Economy) for a little over 1K so snapped up this summers tix for me and the family... got the 3% and help meet the spend. I have used to card for a lot of travel and most restaurant spend as well as taxi and Uber and parking (all of which qualify for 3%). I have received my 300$ travel credit twice (once for 16 and 17) all for the 450$ annual fee. (Not to mention avoiding the 3% foreign fee).

I also booked my "side trips" (air and hotels) in SE via Chase Travel, (always checking the original airline or hotel web site to be sure I wasn't paying more), earning 3% as well as using my previously earned points to pay. I haven't bothered to add up all the cash benefits, but I got 1000$ plus $600 credit. Then add in the 3% which I am guessing has added up to over 300$. Close to 2000$ maybe more.

On my travels I have used the Priority Pass for myself and family at least a dozen times. My old PP charged $27 for each guest so that would have cost me 648$ for my "guests". BTW the PP lounges in Asia are very nice, clean and not heavily used. The US ones are not as widespread and heavily used, but if you travel overseas it is very handy.

So far this have been one of the best CC's ever. My GE expires next year and I plan to travel a lot, so I will keep this card. Excellent ROI...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: United, American, Delta, Jet Blue
It's a great card, but for me, part of its long term value is the ability to transfer Ultimate Rewards points from Freedom Unlimited into CSR. Hope Chase doesn't scrap that benefit.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by UpperNWGuy
It's a great card, but for me, part of its long term value is the ability to transfer Ultimate Rewards points from Freedom Unlimited into CSR. Hope Chase doesn't scrap that benefit.
Can you transfer regular Chase Freedom UR points to the CSR? If so this would be a great benefit since I only use the freedom card on 5% quarterly bonus categories.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Of course I check airline web sites & such to understand what I am buying before I try to use my UR points. I don't always use points for tickets for the reasons you cited and more (ex: some airlines are only bookable directly). But when I used UR points t buy tickets (pretty much the only way I use them) I get 1.5c/point.
I believe for booking flights, it is easier to make sure everything, especially if it is on domestic airlines due to fare class is easier to check, checked bag/ change / cancellation fee are more readily available.

For international airlines, this becomes very tricky. Aside from my poor experiences booking SAS and LOT intra-Europe flights that I ended up booking directly with airlines because I did not want what is reported by this new post, happened to me.

Here is the latest bad result using UR to book intra-Europe flight.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28583512-post286.html

Now the poster has filed a claim. Eventually it will get resolved, but the time and effort involved, is hardly worth the saving.

For hotel bookings, it is a much much trickier matter. It requires the customer to be super vigilant and at the end it would still turn into a nightmare.

I will give a report on the claim I just finished in the STICKY thread so not to side track this thread again.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Can you transfer regular Chase Freedom UR points to the CSR?
Yes.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Can you transfer regular Chase Freedom UR points to the CSR? If so this would be a great benefit since I only use the freedom card on 5% quarterly bonus categories.
Currently it is how the system set up.

However Chase has sent out a survey recently as a test balloon with the intention to eliminate some of the features that would drastically reduce the usefulness of Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Ink Cash cards.

There is an ongoing thread discussing this Survey and its perceived intention - you can go thru it to find out more about the survey.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ng-points.html
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by wolfie52
I was able to sign up for a CSR card, with the 100K bonus last Aug. After receiving the card I easily met the spend requirement. I found RT tickets to JFK-BKK on SQ (Premium Economy) for a little over 1K so snapped up this summers tix for me and the family... got the 3% and help meet the spend. I have used to card for a lot of travel and most restaurant spend as well as taxi and Uber and parking (all of which qualify for 3%). I have received my 300$ travel credit twice (once for 16 and 17) all for the 450$ annual fee. (Not to mention avoiding the 3% foreign fee).

I also booked my "side trips" (air and hotels) in SE via Chase Travel, (always checking the original airline or hotel web site to be sure I wasn't paying more), earning 3% as well as using my previously earned points to pay. I haven't bothered to add up all the cash benefits, but I got 1000$ plus $600 credit. Then add in the 3% which I am guessing has added up to over 300$. Close to 2000$ maybe more.

On my travels I have used the Priority Pass for myself and family at least a dozen times. My old PP charged $27 for each guest so that would have cost me 648$ for my "guests". BTW the PP lounges in Asia are very nice, clean and not heavily used. The US ones are not as widespread and heavily used, but if you travel overseas it is very handy.

So far this have been one of the best CC's ever. My GE expires next year and I plan to travel a lot, so I will keep this card. Excellent ROI...

We had somehow similar success story. Signed up last September, got the 100k + 2x $300 travel credit, used the PP many times. We did bother to add up all the cash benefit: in the last 10 months we got 122k points (above the 100k sign up bonus), around 100k was from travel/restaurants. We submitted one travel delay claim, was paid fully+extra $50.
So far so good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.