Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the cardsuch as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not availablethe card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG
Hey everyone. Just signed up, so apologizes if I'm in the wrong place. This site is HUGE! I'm happy to say that I recently hit my sign up bonus for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and got the 100,000 points. I'm now trying to earn on top of them but it's a little slow going. I purchased some fairly expensive items for the home at Lowes through the Ultimate Rewards site because it earns more points. Do you have any recommendations to earn faster without going broke? I'd like to take my girlfriend to Europe next year and fly first class as a surprise. I've been going to the points guy site but do I really have to sign up for a whole bunch of credit cards!? Any help is much appreciated.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by sammyZ06
Hey everyone. Just signed up, so apologizes if I'm in the wrong place. This site is HUGE! I'm happy to say that I recently hit my sign up bonus for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and got the 100,000 points. I'm now trying to earn on top of them but it's a little slow going. I purchased some fairly expensive items for the home at Lowes through the Ultimate Rewards site because it earns more points. Do you have any recommendations to earn faster without going broke? I'd like to take my girlfriend to Europe next year and fly first class as a surprise. I've been going to the points guy site but do I really have to sign up for a whole bunch of credit cards!? Any help is much appreciated.
The only way you're going to earn points is to spend. There are no ways around it. I wouldn't do any spending that I wouldn't usually normally spend on just to earn some points. Getting credit cards and the point bonuses is a fast way to accumulate points. I went with the CSR for the 100k, then the CSP for 50k, and did a PC from the CSP to FU to earn 1.5 so that helps a little with my earnings. If I wasn't at 5/24, I'd go after the Ink Business Preferred for 80k. Good luck!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by ehuang03
The only way you're going to earn points is to spend. There are no ways around it. I wouldn't do any spending that I wouldn't usually normally spend on just to earn some points. Getting credit cards and the point bonuses is a fast way to accumulate points. I went with the CSR for the 100k, then the CSP for 50k, and did a PC from the CSP to FU to earn 1.5 so that helps a little with my earnings. If I wasn't at 5/24, I'd go after the Ink Business Preferred for 80k. Good luck!
Thanks a bunch for the info! I've been trying to use that card for everything I normally purchase. I actually did something similar to you but kind of in reverse I guess. I had the CSP for a couple of years, hit the 50k bonus and never really got beyond that so I used it for 2 domestic flights. Then when the CSR came out with that huge 100k bonus, I got that and Chase helped me change my CSP one to the Freedom Unlimited so I wouldn't have the extra yearly fee. That Ink one looks pretty cool though. I'm eyeing it up now
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
This may be worth perusing for ideas on helping to meet spend requirements - though be sure you understand what you're able to do comfortably first.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-spending-719/

But no matter what you do, don't put yourself in the hole over rewards cards.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
CSR 50% Bonus On Redemption

I read this somewhere in a post but have no info as to how this works?

Do you get 50% UR back after redemption like the Amex Plat card ?

For example I have seen a First class ticket on Hawaiian Airlines for $1450.

For a CSR card holder the published rate for UR is approx 98k UR.

For Amex MR this is around 75k net included with the 50% credited back.

How does the Chase 50% bonus work... is it better value than Amex Plat as it clears bests Citi Prestige which requires 118k for the same ticket.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
So I checked online and it seems this the standard bonus level for this card, making the Amex Platinum the winner for redemptions as it is at least 25% better value.

The only thing is would say is Chase points are more easily gotten hold of than Amex MR

Correct me if I am wrong!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:57 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal

Do you get 50% UR back after redemption like the Amex Plat card ?

No. Sapphire Reserve accounts receive a fixed monetary value of $0.015 per point when redeeming for travel through Chase's portal operated by Connexions. This is 50% more than a baseline $0.01 per point.

Sapphire Preferred accounts receive $0.0125.

American Express Business Platinum nets $0.02 after the 50% rebate.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A more realistic goal might be to buy one ticket with points and purchase the other one normally. There are often good sales on premium fares throughout the year. Then you would actually earn a bunch of miles on the purchased ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
A more realistic goal might be to buy one ticket with points and purchase the other one normally. There are often good sales on premium fares throughout the year. Then you would actually earn a bunch of miles on the purchased ticket.
That's a really good idea!!! I will keep this in mind for next time. Although I don't know if I'll be flying United again after that recent video. Poor guy
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I would just warn that this might actually be tricky to do -- in many cases, the routes that have saver-level awards available have very expensive cash rates, and ones with very cheap cash rates have no saver-level awards available.

As an obvious example of when this would occur is for last-minute bookings.

I'd personally just recommend getting several CC sign up bonuses, and making sure that you plan it out that you are only spending on the CC what you would be spending anyway -- most of your daily spend other than rent/mortgage/loans can be put on CC -- think utility bills, insurance, cell phones, groceries, gas, tolls, restaurants, etc.

I find that with a fairly normal amount of spend and some planning it really isn't that hard to rack up a half million points overall in a single year.

As far as airlines to fly in a premium cabin internationally, I'd highly recommend looking at international airlines like ANA, JAL, Singapore, Lufthansa, Etihad, Emirates, Cathay. There are other airlines too which are not quite as good as these, but are still substantially better than UAL, DL, AA. Also keep in mind the concept of "Fifth Freedom" routes, for example Singapore Airlines flies from JFK - FRA, and Emirates flies JFK-MXP.

Note that through UAL awards you can book flights on any star alliance partner.

I haven't personally used any Chase points yet, but have racked up ~400k points so far which I will be using for (something) at (some point).

My strategy has been to earn points through multiple programs simultaneously which allows for lots of flexibility in planning trips, and it seems that even with planning a crazy 5-star trip every year, I never run out. At this point, I have 6-7 figure points balances with Amex, Chase, AA, and Hilton. I wouldn't really recommend trying specifically to earn a large Hilton balance, that sorta happened "by accident" in my case.

Also, plan that you will likely have to pay cash for an economy-class positioning flight to get to the international premium cabin award, and make sure you have enough time between the two flights to give a good buffer in case of a delay, since you aren't protected from a misconnection if you have two tickets. On roughly half of the big international trips I've done, I was not able to find awards on the domestic leg, so had to pay a few hundred bux and tough it out in economy before connecting into first class on a 4-class 777-300ER.

After earning the bonus from the Reserve, I'd suggest looking towards signup bonuses from Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink, and the quarterly category bonuses from the Chase Freedom (points, not cash) card. Right now the bonus category is for groceries at 5x. The Chase Reserve is always 3X at restaurants. Amex Platinum is 5X on airfare. Citi's AA cards also have reasonable bonuses, and are useful for oneworld partners.

The Citi Prestige card also offers "4th night free" at any hotel in the world, so this is also potentially a great combination in planning a trip, or earning status.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:24 pm

Can't see any real downfalls with getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve

I have been reading about this card, and I am having trouble seeing the downside except for the hefty annual fee. However, I feel that's offset by the $300 credit on travel. Since I spend way more than that on travel, I don't see it as a negative. So really it's a $150 annual fee.... which I see the Priority Pass as a nice option to have while traveling. I already have Global Entry, so that's of no benefit to me. Are there really any downsides to this card? I have excellent credit and usually only have two cards - now I have the Alaska Airline BoA Signature and a generic card.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:13 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CSquared
...t's a $150 annual fee.... which I see the Priority Pass as a nice option to have while traveling....
Agreed, it's a $150 card provided you don't double count the $300 reimbursement and think that you obtained a reimbursed expense for "free". You paid for it.

The differences between Sapphire Preferred ($95) and Sapphire Reserve ($150 net) are these:

3x vs 2x points per dollar on travel and dining
Priority Pass membership
VISA Infinite benefits

If you are an AS flyer Priority Pass may seem appealing because the Alaska Boardrooms accept Priority Pass, but there are many reports of PP holders turned away due to crowding. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...embership.html

Otherwise, Ultimate Rewards is not a good match for Alaska Airlines program. I would also look at American Express Platinum because it provides the same Priority Pass benefit, plus some additional lounge access, plus Starwood and Hilton hotel status -and- Membership Rewards points can be transferred to Virgin America, though at the rate 200:100. Not sure how long this will last, BUT American Express has an excellent track record of advance notice when transfer partnerships end. Currently the American Express new account bonus is larger.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, it's a $150 card provided you don't double count the $300 reimbursement and think that you obtained a reimbursed expense for "free". You paid for it.

The differences between Sapphire Preferred ($95) and Sapphire Reserve ($150 net) are these:

3x vs 2x points per dollar on travel and dining
Priority Pass membership
VISA Infinite benefits

If you are an AS flyer Priority Pass may seem appealing because the Alaska Boardrooms accept Priority Pass, but there are many reports of PP holders turned away due to crowding. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...embership.html

Otherwise, Ultimate Rewards is not a good match for Alaska Airlines program. I would also look at American Express Platinum because it provides the same Priority Pass benefit, plus some additional lounge access, plus Starwood and Hilton hotel status -and- Membership Rewards points can be transferred to Virgin America, though at the rate 200:100. Not sure how long this will last, BUT American Express has an excellent track record of advance notice when transfer partnerships end. Currently the American Express new account bonus is larger.
some more things to add that go against the CSR.
1) AU on the CSR is $75 vs AU on CSP is free. If you have a whole family with CSP, u could make more...
2) CSP's AF is first year free. so its like $95 for 2 yrs.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Same story here. I currently have the CSP and still not convinced I should switch to the CSR.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
2) CSP's AF is first year free. so its like $95 for 2 yrs.
CSR is effectively free for the first two years because the travel credit can be double-dipped on the first year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.