Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by vm81
So you had to use restaurant specific gift card. I thought you were talking about a way to pay at any restaurant...not the chains that usually have gift cards.
Even still...

So if I'm understanding - he bought the gift card via his MPX app but used his CSR for the purchase. He got 3x on the CSR and he got United 5x for the purchase. Double dipped purchase?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by madmike283
I'm going to use the CSR this year and just get into the groove of the business travel lifestyle (never done it before). If it turns out that I fly a lot of WN, then I'll get prepared with the Chase WN cards later in the year to earn CP for the 18/19 seasons. That also seems like a no-brainer.
That's a fine strategy. The CSR is a great all-around card as it pays 3 UR/$ in the travel category. You'll be well rewarded for the flights, hotels, and rental cars you pay for on your upcoming business travels, and you won't have to worry about having the right partner CC for each one. As the year goes on you'll learn which providers you like better and see patterns in your travel emerge. Then it will make sense to pursue more specialized CC offers like the Chase RR cards.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Even still...

So if I'm understanding - he bought the gift card via his MPX app but used his CSR for the purchase. He got 3x on the CSR and he got United 5x for the purchase. Double dipped purchase?
Correct. Double dip confirmed.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:01 am

This card is amazing! Lounge access (love it), primary rental car insurance (glad to have it), trip delay insurance (already used it). And that's on top of the 3x points and 100K signup bonus! I'm planning on keeping and using this card long term. Hope they don't reduce the benefits. My only wish is for 1.5x on "other" purchases, so I wouldn't have to think about when to use this one and when to use my Freedom Unlimited (and regret when I get it wrong because a purchase didn't code as travel or dining when I thought it would).
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by tayball89
Live in Nashville and the closest branch to us is in Bowling Green, KY. I called them to see if applying via phone or fax was an option, to save me the trip, and they confirmed for the 100,000 bonus, they required it to be in-person. Made the trip up this past Saturday and wife got approved on the spot.
Thank you we too are in the BNA area and was looking at the BG branch location
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:18 pm

I applied Chase Sapphire Reserve today at the branch and got a 7-10 days message. The bank CS told me that she will contact me if I get approved. Should I call the recon line myself to check the status on my application? I have about $50K credit line on my other Chase CC. I am 3/24 as of February 12.

Edit: I actually saw Frequent Miler's post regarding the CSR CC. Don't call until denied. So I will wait.

Last edited by frugaltravel; Feb 27, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by frugaltravel
I applied Chase Sapphire Reserve today at the branch and got a 7-10 days message. The bank CS told me that she will contact me if I get approved. Should I call the recon line myself to check the status on my application? I have about $50K credit line on my other Chase CC. I am 3/24 as of February 12.

Edit: I actually saw Frequent Miler's post regarding the CSR CC. Don't call until denied. So I will wait.
With those parameters, I would think that you would be approved. The only question might be whether they would extend you more credit, or ask you to reallocate some of your existing 50k to the CSR.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by svirfnebli
I would get the Reserve Card (Physically get it), then call customer service and downgrade your preferred to some card that is $0 annual fee.
My AF for the CSP card is going to hit in a few months, so this comment is relevant to me. What no fee card can I downgrade to and still keep my UR points without having the downgrade count as a new app?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Long Islander
... What no fee card can I downgrade to and still keep my UR points without having the downgrade count as a new app?
Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html
Nice link. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:13 am

I'm currently at 6/24. The last two were Chase Marriott and Sapphire. My 6/24 includes a Chase MR Business card that I applied for on 3/24/15, so I'll be down to 5/24 on April 1.

My plan is to apply for CSR on March 9 at a branch and see what happens. If I get denied due to too many cards, I'll wait until April 2 and call the recon line when I'm down to 5/24. I just lowered my CLs to make it easier to get approved.

Does this make sense?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frugaltravel

I got the same message but I was later approved same day without having to call. I received a letter a few days later, come to find out chase moved some credit around to approve me.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Just got approved in branch for the 100K offer with a 34K credit line. The whole process took less than 15 minutes. I'm excited to start using this card!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Long Islander
I'm currently at 6/24. The last two were Chase Marriott and Sapphire. My 6/24 includes a Chase MR Business card that I applied for on 3/24/15, so I'll be down to 5/24 on April 1.

My plan is to apply for CSR on March 9 at a branch and see what happens. If I get denied due to too many cards, I'll wait until April 2 and call the recon line when I'm down to 5/24. I just lowered my CLs to make it easier to get approved.

Does this make sense?
The wiki on this thread has a link to a separate discussion of the 5/24 rule.
The wiki over there says 5 or more are too many. Thus four is your limit, not five. Another way to look at it is the new card can be the 5th one.

Run a credit report on yourself at CreditKarma (free). The Chase business card probably doesn't show up; and if so, won't count against the 5/24. On the other hand, being merely an authorized users on a personal account may very well count. Only way to tell is by looking at your credit report.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie
...The Chase business card probably doesn't show up; and if so, won't count against the 5/24. ....
A Chase business card will not show up on your credit report (unless you default), but it could still count for 5/24 purposes because Chase is the issuer and they can see it from their internal records. A authorized user entry can be manually subtracted during the reconsideration process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.