Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Interesting that you say that. The prevailing wisdom on the "double dip" is to start early on a weekday morning so that you can recon same day....implying that Chase recon does not work on weekends. Dunno.
Recon is open on weekends. Verification is not. That's why we recommend "weekday morning".
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
According to DoC, Chase recon line is open on weekends, so if you're feeling impatient you can probably call tomorrow and have them push it through. Might just be verification or shifting CL around. Hours are 8am-8pm on weekends supposedly.
We are not impatient and my wife will not call Chase unless she has a gun pointed at her. I was just curious if Chase processes apps on the weekends if you get the "30 days" message when you apply.

Has anyone applied on a Friday and been approved on a Sat. or Sunday?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Recon is open on weekends. Verification is not. That's why we recommend "weekday morning".
I didn't know that these were two different "departments" that would, seemingly, perform similar (if not overlapping) functions. TIL, as they say on another forum.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I didn't know that these were two different "departments" that would, seemingly, perform similar (if not overlapping) functions. TIL, as they say on another forum.
There's nothing similar or overlapping about these departments. Recon reps are credit analysts who can recommend you for approval/credit line. Verification reps confirm your identity/DOB/address etc.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Data Point

Originally Posted by philemer
We are not impatient and my wife will not call Chase unless she has a gun pointed at her. I was just curious if Chase processes apps on the weekends if you get the "30 days" message when you apply.

Has anyone applied on a Friday and been approved on a Sat. or Sunday?
Experian was pulled last night. Called the auto. status # this morning & she was approved. So they do process apps on the weekends. Less than 60 hrs from application to approval. ^ [She was/is at 4/24]

Last edited by philemer; Jun 25, 2018 at 8:21 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
[She was/is at 4/24]
"Was" AND "is"? How's that?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm just wondering how can I check my Experian score for free?

I've never applied for a Chase card before, but if my Experian score is at about 720 and my income is about $60k/year, is that enough to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve? If I get declined, can I opt for the Chase Sapphire Preferred then? Can the card be requested to be mailed abroad?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:27 pm

I just got my card today! I was hoping for an all metal card. This one has plastic on the outside, but definitely heavier than my all plastic cards. Don't go to the Ritz so unless there is another all-metal card, I'll have to settle for plastic covered metal for now.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pdragn78
I just got my card today! I was hoping for an all metal card. This one has plastic on the outside, but definitely heavier than my all plastic cards. Don't go to the Ritz so unless there is another all-metal card, I'll have to settle for plastic covered metal for now.
Funny. I got the metal card and immediately called in to request they send me a plastic version. To each their own.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm just wondering how can I check my Experian score for free?

I've never applied for a Chase card before, but if my Experian score is at about 720 and my income is about $60k/year, is that enough to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve? If I get declined, can I opt for the Chase Sapphire Preferred then? Can the card be requested to be mailed abroad?

Thanks.
Help? Also, does anyone here know which bureau Chase pulls from when applying online?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by lsquare
Help? Also, does anyone here know which bureau Chase pulls from when applying online?

Thanks!
Depends on what state your address is from. I usually get a HP from Experian and Equifax, but never from Trans Union when applying for Chase Credit Cards.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlitos
Depends on what state your address is from. I usually get a HP from Experian and Equifax, but never from Trans Union when applying for Chase Credit Cards.
Oh wow. I didn't know Chase does something like that. What about Massachusetts?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I don't remember offhand which CUs got a hard pull when I applied for my CSR, but I just got this email from Chase:

Dear GOOSELEE,

Sign in to Chase Credit JourneySM now to review your credit score and a complete history of your recent alerts.

While there have been no major changes to your TransUnion credit report during the last month, it is always a good idea to review your credit profile and take a look at your credit score. Your score updates weekly when you sign in and you can check it as often as you like. It is free and reviewing your credit data has no impact to your score.

We will continue to monitor your credit file daily to ensure that you’ll always have an up-to-date snapshot of your credit.

Thank you for choosing Credit JourneySM from Chase.

Sincerely,
Chase Bank USA, N.A.
So it appears they're using TU for something, at least. Based in ATL FWIW.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
.... appears they're using TU for something, at least.
Maybe. Chase has carefully distanced itself from that interpretation:

The score provided to you is the VantageScore® 3.0 credit score by TransUnion®. This score may differ from other scores you may have seen, as there are other providers and scores in the market. Chase and other lenders may use different credit scores and other types of information to make credit decisions. In addition, because the information reported on you and the calculation of the score can vary from credit bureau to credit bureau, it is possible for you to have different scores at each of the three credit reporting agencies — TransUnion, Experian and Equifax.
https://www.chase.creditviewdashboar...se=ChaseBankNA
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Maybe. Chase has carefully distanced itself from that interpretation:

https://www.chase.creditviewdashboar...se=ChaseBankNA
Ooh...good catch.

I got curious/bored and looked. My application for CSR generated hard pulls at EX and EQ - I know this b/c I have credit monitoring set up through EX (free service resulting from a data breach) and I recently pulled my EQ report and saw it there. I won't pull my TU report again until March, so I guess I could look then, but I'm guessing someone else will have answered by then and/or whoever was asking won't care anymore.

In case it matters, I did NOT get instant approval, rather got the X weeks review note and then was approved about 4 days later. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but perhaps these data points are useful to others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.