Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Chase Sapphire Reserve Benefits Guide

Chase Sapphire Reserve includes primary rental car coverage. Per the guide it is in effect when you "Initiate and complete the entire rental transaction using your card that is eligible for the benefit."

From the guide:

What do I do if I have an accident or the rental vehicle is stolen? Call the Benefit Administrator immediately to report theft or damage, regardless of whether your liability has been established. The Benefit Administrator will answer any questions you or the rental agency may have and will then send you a claim form.
Call Chase.

Any damage to the other car would be covered under your personal auto insurance.

Neil
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ChaseReserveQuestion
My question is, will Chase still cover the damage, even though I used my Hertz points, and paid the taxes and fees with my Chase card?
No. AFAIK - the only situation when award travel is covered by the CSR is when you use UR to book the rental car directly (CSR's benefit guide does explicitly mention entire).

And will they cover the minor scratch from the other car?
No.

How should I proceed with this? Do I call chase first and then Hertz?
Call Hertz first as always. I am not sure the damage on the rental car. When you said the frame, do you mean the frame that is screwed to the bumper and says it is a Hertz car? If that's the case and the only damage, I don't even think Hertz will care.

Then the other party and insurance. As you say the bump is minor, it may be best you settle your claim on your own without insurance (so that your premium will not be increased). If the damage is not too minor, then your insurance will need to get involved. In that case, it does not matter even Chase covers the rental car or not.

Only report to Chase when:

1. When you will cover the other party's agreed damage on your own; or,

2. You are close to the deadline.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:52 pm

Here's a question--if a normal driver gets in a collision with a rental car, how do you even report that as the non-rental car driver? Do you just take down their license?

I never really considered the other guy reporting his damages but in my experience when someone backed up into my car in the parking lot, he knew he was at fault, so likely didn't file any insurance claims. Hertz never charged me anything because they likely never pursue any damage claims unless its big enough (otherwise they'd be doing paperwork all day because all rentals get dinged up over time).

Anyhow you should open up a claim with Chase immediately. You don't have to complete it, but you have to initiate it within X days of the incident (30? 60? 90? 100 days?), but you have something like 6 months or 1 year to complete all the documentation. I remember doing that and after calling Hertz 3 times a month after returning my rental, they told me there weren't any charges, and not to worry,.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Definitely open a case any time there is a remote chance you might be charged. I got burned by National in MUC years ago when they billed for a scratch months after I returned the car. The guy checking me in said something about it but never noted it on paperwork I got. By the time I got the bill I was outside the window to start a claim so the bank (Amex IIRC) would not accept a claim.

Credit card insurance only covers damage to the vehicle you rent. Liability to third parties gets complicated based on where you rented. From Hertz T&C.

If renting in California:

Hertz provides no liability protection under the terms of the Rental Agreement to the renter from claims of injury by others against you resulting from an accident. Your personal/business insurance may cover your liability. Exceptions: Hertz will provide primary liability protection up to the statutory minimum limits to international customers (driver's license indicates an address outside the USA) renting in California. Please also refer to Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS) below.

If renting in Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, South Carolina, Virginia, or West Virginia:

Upon signing the Rental Agreement, Hertz provides primary liability protection. However, such protection is generally no more than the minimum limits required by individual state law. See Financial Responsibility Limits by State.

If renting in any other state in the U.S.A.:

Hertz' liability protection is secondary to any other insurance coverage available to you. If you do not have liability insurance and/or the limits of liability of the insurance coverage available to you are not sufficient to cover claims by others against you, and Hertz, as the vehicle owner, provides liability protection due to an accident, you will indemnify Hertz for any and all payments made.

However, Hertz makes available additional liability protection, which is primary, if the optional Liability Insurance Supplement, LIS, is purchased.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dmo580
Here's a question--if a normal driver gets in a collision with a rental car, how do you even report that as the non-rental car driver? Do you just take down their license?
You follow the typical procedures that you collect all necessary information if available and take all necessary photos. For the rental car, take a picture of the rental agreement as well.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:52 am

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you rent a car every month, and each time you file a first party claim with Chase. Will Chase eventually close your account or will you just be dropped from having coverage?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
An issuer cannot be bothered to suspend individual benefits. It's all or nothing, and inasmuch as this is a common benefit across many cards I would expect them to close all cards, if it came to that.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matthew Owen
Hypothetically speaking, let's say you rent a car every month, and each time you file a first party claim with Chase. Will Chase eventually close your account or will you just be dropped from having coverage?
Originally Posted by mia
An issuer cannot be bothered to suspend individual benefits. It's all or nothing, and inasmuch as this is a common benefit across many cards I would expect them to close all cards, if it came to that.
However - keep in mind, Chase does have the ultimate authority to close the accounts in its own discretions. So there is no way to rule out on the possibility of closure.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
CSP CDW benefit and overseas car rental

Did anybody here had a case to use CDW insurance provided by CSP when renting car overseas? Especially in developing countries like Indonesia/Thailand?

How does it work?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
SXM car rental

I am renting a car in Sint Maarten (SXM), and will be driving in both Sint Maarten and Saint Martin.

Any advise on whether I should use my SPG AmEx Business or Chase Sapphire Reserve to cover the rental car in both locations: Sint Maarten and Saint Martin.

When I called Chase Sapphire Reserve, I was told it did not cover liability, should I be concerned?

Last edited by jimcoddington; Jan 30, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
No credit card covers liability.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
I am renting a car in Sint Maarten (SXM), and will be driving in both Sint Maarten and Saint Martin.

Any advise on whether I should use my SPG AmEx Business or Chase Sapphire Reserve to cover the rental car in both locations: Sint Maarten and Saint Martin.

When I called Chase Sapphire Reserve, I was told it did not cover liability, should I be concerned?
Your car insurance should cover liability - you will be hard pressed to notice when you cross from St Martin to Sint Maarten and vice versa. The only somewhat reliable indicator seems to be that the road are better in St Martin. Not sure what your question is regarding the SPG or Chase card.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Chase "primary" auto rental CDW might be secondary if you live in: MN, NY, ND, RI, TX

Just got off the phone with a Chase benefits administrator. It seems that, because of state laws, the "primary" CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas because of state laws. Confirmed by two benefits-administrator line agents and a supervisor.

I was shocked, since these excluded states are not enumerated in the benefits brochures that Chase sends to cardholders. When I called Chase Card Services to complain about the lack of notice as to the excluded states, a supervisor pointed out the language in the brochures that says, "Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law . . .."

Has any FTer encountered this before?

Edited to add: After I filed a complaint about this situation with the CFPB, I received a call from a Chase benefits administrator supervisor who told me that I had been given incorrect information (!), and that the primary CDW offered on certain Chase cards is, indeed, primary for New York State residents. Chase's written response to my CFPB complaint said the same thing.

Because my claim is still pending (still have not received a demand letter from the car-rental company more than three months after the rental ended), I cannot unequivocally state that I will receive primary coverage on this rental, but it certainly appears that the sky is not falling.

Edited by Mod to strike out NY. OP was given incorrect info and NY is covered.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2022 at 8:12 am Reason: Fix "strike" syntax.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/P...entingACar.asp makes no mention of this at all. In fact it specifically says several times you may get additional coverage via credit card.

Neil
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Just got off the phone with a Chase benefits administrator. It seems that, because of state laws, the "primary" CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas because of state laws. Confirmed by two benefits-administrator line agents and a supervisor.

I was shocked, since these excluded states are not enumerated in the benefits brochures that Chase sends to cardholders. When I called Chase Card Services to complain about the lack of notice as to the excluded states, a supervisor pointed out the language in the brochures that says, "Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law . . .."

Has any FTer encountered this before?

Would this apply to New York residents renting outside of the state too? Or is it only for New York residents renting in New York?

edit: this page from the state mentions premium cards may provide primary insurance

Last edited by mirskyc; Feb 2, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.