Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Always stuck in the Verified by Visa when purchase ticket....Any solution??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always stuck in the Verified by Visa when purchase ticket....Any solution??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is something that does seem to be directly related to UA and more of a Chase / Visa issue, will more this to the Chase forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You do need to register with Verified by Visa but did not think you would see the splash page if you had not register.
I think Chase is autoregistering their cards for it but is just auto-approving all transactions that are requiring it--or at least trying to, anyway. FWIW I've never had problems with purchases from US-based websites that try to use it, as rare as those are.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
In India, they also use a technology called 3D secure, which I think in many cases is incompatible with VBV.
VbV is 3D Secure.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
I think Chase is autoregistering their cards for it but is just auto-approving all transactions that are requiring it--or at least trying to, anyway. FWIW I've never had problems with purchases from US-based websites that try to use it, as rare as those are.

VbV is 3D Secure.
I seriously hate Chase VbV process.

I had issues with BA website when paying with my BA Visa. The VbV flashed, then went dark, then died.

Retried then it worked.

Had issues buying train tickets at SNCF site too. Had to engage a 3-way call with Chase Fraud Alert and Visa liason rep for Chase, to grand the card a temporary pass to finish the purchases - in the interim, the F class tickets went up in price and had to settle for the economy on a TGV from CDG to Rennes.

Also could not make it thru Peagus website but was able to buy tickets on Turkish airlines website - again the VbV window went dark for a while but eventually screen refreshed and gave me confirmation.

Had issues with UA site too and at the end I called in to ticket since I was also using an e-Cert.

Used Firefox always. No VPN, and no App. Old fashion desktop connection.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:12 pm

I would call Chase customer service and ask them to remove Verified by Visa from your account.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's a shame that we are encouraged to use this with offers of extra miles, for example; and then it doesn't work.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:36 pm

I just ran into this myself... I was trying to use my CSR to pay the $11 in taxes on a domestic Delta award. It'd go to the VBV screen and sit there as long as I was willing to look at it. I gave up after 10 minutes, twice.

I then grabbed my phone and was able to book the same trip and pay the taxes with the same card on Delta's mobile site. No issues whatsoever, and the VBV process never popped up.

I'm not sure whom to blame here, but it's definitely annoying. If I were a true scientist, I'd try to book it again with a Mastercard on my computer, but I'm not that dedicated

Originally Posted by Appleman
I would call Chase customer service and ask them to remove Verified by Visa from your account.
I just SM'd them and asked them to do this. I'll report back.

The response to the SM was to call... so I called and got the Verified by Visa team, who told me that it was something they couldn't remove from my account--supposedly it's a setting on the merchant's end that causes certain cards to go through the process and the airlines like sending Chase cards to VBV.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Jan 2, 2017 at 6:30 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:02 am

Just succeeding in working around Verified by Visa issue with Chase Visa.
Called +1-877-850-2366, the specific department in Chase Visa that deals with Verified by Visa issues. They set the required authorizations on my card, so my purchases could process through, without any PIN, etc.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Just tried to book a flight on Delta with my CIBP.

After clicking "Purchase", the VBV screen froze for 10+ minutes. No indication was given to call in, etc.

I called the number shown by the previous poster and an agent picked up on the second ring (!).

After verifying my card number, security code, name, address, and mother's maiden name, she said that the merchant (Delta) was prohibiting the transaction and was requiring Chase/Visa to approve it.

She then began the approval process and asked me to verify my DOB, age, and two previous addresses.

She then said "go ahead and try to reprocess the transaction".

I told her I closed the booking window and re-booking would be a different price because of Delta's dynamic pricing. She said that wouldn't be an issue since Visa has authorized the transactions.

Never had a problem like this with Amex. However, it was all resolved within 5 minutes.

Oddly, I tried to book on my phone, and Delta's app wouldn't accept my 3-digit security code.

Edit to add: And the re-booking failed. Stuck on VBV again.

Edit #2 : Called in again and a different agent said he saw all of the transactions as being held/stopped by Visa. He asked me to re-create the booking on Delta's website and click "Purchase". My screen popped up with the "Verified by Visa" verbiage. The agent immediately saw the transaction come through and he approved it. The VBV screen refreshed to the completed purchase on Delta's website. He said he'd research it further after the call and make sure it didn't happen again.

Last edited by aww3583; Aug 9, 2017 at 9:42 am Reason: More info.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
For what it's worth, both Heathrow Express and GWR's websites today showed the VbV window but ultimately approved the payments without additional prompts. (I was using the CSR, if that matters.)

As for US based sites, I think United showed something similar when I was paying the fees for my award ticket. That also went through with no issues or additional prompts.

Maybe Chase just went ahead and enabled the necessary support for all CSR cards so people wouldn't need to call in and ask?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Chase cards and Verified by Visa

Does anyone else have a recurring problem using Chase cards at websites that employ the Verified by Visa tool? Every single time I try to use a Chase card and Verified by Visa is involved, the transaction is declined.

Chase keeps telling me that I don't have any declined transactions that they can see. I don't understand how that's possible and I'm not sure how to go about getting this corrected.

Any suggestions? I've tried calling and sending an SM to Chase and basically get the same response each time: you don't have any declined transactions.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Verified by Visa" requires me to call the USA on EVERY international charge so far

OK, it is only two out of two so far but that is more than enough for me to be really fed up.

So I call the number on the Chase card and it is a circus that failed entirely once and worked once (despite being approved both times). It takes at least 10 minutes on Skype and the end result is only that supplier is approved and then only for 72 hours.

I get BS explanations about how this is for my protection or the merchant's protection, and they always want to send an SMS to my US phone, which I do not used in either Europe or Asia. When I tell them that, they come up with two security questions to ask. On the failed transaction, they blamed the seller (a mobile company named Base in Belgium).

This is a useless card and now that I have earned the sign-up bonus, I think I will stop using it except in an emergency unless someone here knows how to fix the problem

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Does anyone else have a recurring problem using Chase cards at websites that employ the Verified by Visa tool? Every single time I try to use a Chase card and Verified by Visa is involved, the transaction is declined. Chase keeps telling me that I don't have any declined transactions that they can see. I don't understand how that's possible and I'm not sure how to go about getting this corrected. Any suggestions? I've tried calling and sending an SM to Chase and basically get the same response each time: you don't have any declined transactions.
Some merchants (mainly in Asia) have mandatory 2-factor authorisation enabled for VbV which Chase does not support. Therefore, they blacklist Chase cards from acceptance and their processor doesn't even forward the transaction to Chase for approval. One example of this is Air Arabia in the UAE. Their merchant processor won't even accept Chase cards for in person payments.

In other cases, charges may require a manual VbV authorisation. In that case, you need to attempt the transaction and have it declined, call Chase VbV desk who will then authorise the amount and vendor, and then re-attempt the transaction. I have this happen maybe 50% of the time when I am booking airline tickets with Ethiopian Airlines and Kenya Airways as well as with Amazon's India site.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:39 pm

I recently was stymied in Europe by a verified by Visa screen. I got around it using Apple Pay. Apple Pay is problematic on a Browser, but I got it to work. This may not be an option on all web sites, but it will be on many.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Some merchants (mainly in Asia) have mandatory 2-factor authorisation enabled for VbV which Chase does not support. Therefore, they blacklist Chase cards from acceptance and their processor doesn't even forward the transaction to Chase for approval. One example of this is Air Arabia in the UAE. Their merchant processor won't even accept Chase cards for in person payments.

In other cases, charges may require a manual VbV authorisation. In that case, you need to attempt the transaction and have it declined, call Chase VbV desk who will then authorise the amount and vendor, and then re-attempt the transaction. I have this happen maybe 50% of the time when I am booking airline tickets with Ethiopian Airlines and Kenya Airways as well as with Amazon's India site.
Thanks for the detailed information. For me, however, I'm not going to call Chase and ask permission to use my credit card all the time. I have other cards and they seem to work just fine.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Thanks for the detailed information. For me, however, I'm not going to call Chase and ask permission to use my credit card all the time. I have other cards and they seem to work just fine.
Yeah, this is the approach I am going to take too. Chase just became my backup emergency card, and the Citi AA MC became primary.

Having Chase say it isn't their fault and blaming Visa makes it doubly annoying. I've already gotten the signup bonus, so the heck with Chase!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.