Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Always stuck in the Verified by Visa when purchase ticket....Any solution??

Always stuck in the Verified by Visa when purchase ticket....Any solution??

Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Does anyone else have a recurring problem using Chase cards at websites that employ the Verified by Visa tool? Every single time I try to use a Chase card and Verified by Visa is involved, the transaction is declined.

Chase keeps telling me that I don't have any declined transactions that they can see. I don't understand how that's possible and I'm not sure how to go about getting this corrected.

Any suggestions? I've tried calling and sending an SM to Chase and basically get the same response each time: you don't have any declined transactions.
Same here - I tried to purchase a ticket from OmegaFlightstore.com in GBP. Tried my Chase Ink Preferred card twice, after seeing the Verified by Visa both times, the transaction got declined.

When I called Chase, the rep said she did not even see my card trying to be used.

I then resorted to using my Barclay AA -- Unlike when using the Ink Preferred card, OmegaFlightstore.com asked me whether I wanted the "Your SecurPass(TM) code" to be sent to my cell phone number or e-mail address. After inputting the code, it worked like a charm.

Does Chase Ink Preferred not work with SecurPass(TM) code?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hightide
I know in my experience I've never had problems with the CSR and VbV, so it could very well come down to the particular card. I'd have thought that the small business cards wouldn't be that much different, though, but I suppose it's possible.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by hightide
Same here - I tried to purchase a ticket from OmegaFlightstore.com in GBP. Tried my Chase Ink Preferred card twice, after seeing the Verified by Visa both times, the transaction got declined.

When I called Chase, the rep said she did not even see my card trying to be used.

I then resorted to using my Barclay AA -- Unlike when using the Ink Preferred card, OmegaFlightstore.com asked me whether I wanted the "Your SecurPass(TM) code" to be sent to my cell phone number or e-mail address. After inputting the code, it worked like a charm.

SecurPass is just Barclays' silly marketing name for two-factor authentication.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
I know in my experience I've never had problems with the CSR and VbV, so it could very well come down to the particular card. I'd have thought that the small business cards wouldn't be that much different, though, but I suppose it's possible.
It isn't just the CIP. I've had the Freedom Unlimited declined by a USA online retailer as well. My CSR had the same problem before I canceled it. Each time there are two consistent factors in the attempted transactions: Chase issued credit cards and Verified by Visa.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
It isn't just the CIP. I've had the Freedom Unlimited declined by a USA online retailer as well. My CSR had the same problem before I canceled it. Each time there are two consistent factors in the attempted transactions: Chase issued credit cards and Verified by Visa.
Could Chase's VbV popup be negatively interacting with something on people's devices, like an ad blocker or some other plugin? Of course, at that point I don't blame people switching to something that just works as opposed to spending significant time trying to rule out various causes.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Could Chase's VbV popup be negatively interacting with something on people's devices, like an ad blocker or some other plugin?
Chase VbV does not support 2-factor authentication. This is intentional on their part for reasons best known to them. Therefore if the merchant requires 2-factor authentication, it either has to be done manually by the Chase VbV team, or the transaction gets declined. It is annoying, but its been like this for many years with all Chase cards, so I doubt they are going to change it anytime soon.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I had issues while in China. Just changed to corporate Amex. Probably not what visa wants.
Same, booked the tickets with the amex, no problem.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by jackexu
Does anyone have the same situation??
it always show Verified by Visa and Chase logo forever...
and warning that do not hit close or back button

Wondering anyone has solution? except changing the card..
disable the pop up blocker on your browser
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
None of the Chase credit cards work and CS can't help

I don't know if anyone has experienced this problem. I tried to make purchases with a few foreign airlines, trains in the past, but all my chase cards got denied, while other non-chase cards worked, even if it's also Visa brand. I tried to resolve the problem with Chase, the CS said they didn't see the transactions and then transferred me to the verified by visa department. The CS at verified by visa department could see it but the purchases still got denied with their authroization. They said it's the merchant's problem but the merchant said it's Chase since other Bank's Visa card works. I requested to have Chase talk to the middle-man, Visa, to resolve the problem but the Chase CS said there's no mean for him to do so or report a problem to his supervisor since he's sort of the supervisor already. Does anyone have any experience and was able to resolve this problem or do I just have to always bring a non-chase card with me when I travel?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by ycc777
I don't know if anyone has experienced this problem...
Yes, I have moved your post into the thread. Scroll back and read.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, I have moved your post into the thread. Scroll back and read.
thanks you. Looks like It’s been happening nd no sign of fixing it. I will just use chase as a backup for travel then.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I don't know if anyone has experienced this problem. I tried to make purchases with a few foreign airlines, trains in the past, but all my chase cards got denied, while other non-chase cards worked, even if it's also Visa brand. I tried to resolve the problem with Chase, the CS said they didn't see the transactions and then transferred me to the verified by visa department. The CS at verified by visa department could see it but the purchases still got denied with their authroization. They said it's the merchant's problem but the merchant said it's Chase since other Bank's Visa card works. I requested to have Chase talk to the middle-man, Visa, to resolve the problem but the Chase CS said there's no mean for him to do so or report a problem to his supervisor since he's sort of the supervisor already. Does anyone have any experience and was able to resolve this problem or do I just have to always bring a non-chase card with me when I travel?
I have this problem 100% of the time. Your choice is to either:

(a) call in every time (when your card is declined you should be sent to a screen that gives you a 1-800 number to call - once you do that and identify yourself, the rep will tell you to hit the "continue" button on the screen and the charge will be processed) (see post #36 above);

or

(b) use another card.

AMEX gets more of my business than they should thanks to this un-customer-friendly method of doing business.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:02 pm

I have this problem 100% of the time. Your choice is to either:

(a) call in every time (when your card is declined you should be sent to a screen that gives you a 1-800 number to call - once you do that and identify yourself, the rep will tell you to hit the "continue" button on the screen and the charge will be processed) (see post #36 above);

or

(b) use another card.

AMEX gets more of my business than they should thanks to this un-customer-friendly method of doing business.
For my case, I wasn't provided a page with a number to call, but just simply went back to the payment page and said payment failed. When calling Chase's Verified by Visa department and they couldn't help either despite seeing and authorizing the transaction. I ended up had to use a card from other bank and went through without problem.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
For my case, I wasn't provided a page with a number to call, but just simply went back to the payment page and said payment failed. When calling Chase's Verified by Visa department and they couldn't help either despite seeing and authorizing the transaction. I ended up had to use a card from other bank and went through without problem.
I encountered this as well trying to purchase reservations for the Vatican museum. When I called Chase about it, they transferred me to a Verified by Visa team that could approve it while I attempted the purchase.

Try this number: 800 654 9214. If they ask how you called them, tell them that customer service transferred you. Make sure to explain that your purchase was denied. Not sure whether that will help you, ycc777, but hopefully that helps someone.
ycc777 and Illini_Fan like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Angry

Add one more FF to the list of those suddenly and constantly being plagued by Verified by Visa.

For years I've been purchasing flights from Delta with my Chase card and never had a single issue processing a transaction. Also never had this card stolen or abused. Suddenly, no matter if I try to purchase a $700 or $7,000 flight, I have to call the 800 number to make the transaction go through. What an obnoxious interruption to workflow. At least the MasterCard equivalent lets me enter a password to allow the transaction to proceed. Pure shenanigans. VBV informed me that they allegedly "have no control over what gets flagged" and that my purchases were being monitored and scrutinized at Delta's request, which prompted a semi-strongly worded email. I could understand if this happened every once in a while, and for large purchases, but even a $250 commuter flight gets flagged.

Also, from reading the forums here, it seems that this is an issue with Chase cards specifically.

Best to all-

Jake

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.