Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP stops working with Deutsche Bahn (working again February 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage

I don't know if this belongs in the Chase forum or Germany forum. I am currently working in Germany and frequently travel with German trains. (Deutsche Bahn) I always used my CSP card to purchase the tickets for the double points.

A few months ago the CSP suddenly stopped working with DB. Besides not working with the automated kiosks, it also doesn't work anymore on the website or in the ticket office. The same thing happened to some other American colleagues who also have the CSP.

When we call Chase, they can't even see that there was an attempted charge and insist that it is a problem with DB. DB of course says it is a problem with the bank. All my other Chase cards work just fine with DB. (Hyatt, United, Marriott) The Visa security/fraud department also said everything should be fine with using the card.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation where a card suddenly stopped working with a vendor? If so, how did you eventually resolve the issue? It's frustrating missing out on so many extra points.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
Yes, as a matter of fact, same card and same vendor (among others). But mine "shut down" a couple of years ago. I couldn't figure out any way around it because Chase's response to me was the same as to you, so the SPG AmEx now gets the purchases (and thankfully no longer has the foreign transaction fees).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the merchant (or their credit card processor) has blocked a range of card numbers due to a high rate of fraud, and that range includes those typically used by Chase for Sapphire Preferred. This isn't a decision that frontline customer service staff would know about, nor would they discuss it with a consumer if they were aware.

It would be interesting to know if Sapphire Reserve cards work.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
After doing some research on various credit card forums, it seems that both the Reserve and Preferred get declined with Deutsche Bahn recently. This information is mostly from tourists and business travelers visiting Germany. I (and my coworkers) can definitely confirm that these cards used to work just fine and suddenly stopped about 2 months ago.

I would love to hear if anyone has a recent success story with these cards.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the merchant (or their credit card processor) has blocked a range of card numbers due to a high rate of fraud, and that range includes those typically used by Chase for Sapphire Preferred. This isn't a decision that frontline customer service staff would know about, nor would they discuss it with a consumer if they were aware.

It would be interesting to know if Sapphire Reserve cards work.
As I reported in the Chase fraud alert thread, I had the exact same problem trying to purchase DB Bahn tickets online with my CSR. Both my CSR and old CSP share the same first 6 digits: 4147-20

But why would these cards in particular be used fraudulently on DB sites??
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:26 pm

I can add that my CSR was denied at the DB ticket machines and on the website regular check out as recently as 11/9 (less than a week ago). However, I was able to use my CSR to check out at bahn.com via PayPal and it still coded as travel.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bullfrog23414
I can add that my CSR was denied at the DB ticket machines and on the website regular check out as recently as 11/9 (less than a week ago). However, I was able to use my CSR to check out at bahn.com via PayPal and it still coded as travel.
PayPal doesn't block the 414720 cards. DB seems to block the series at this time this year, but didn't at this time last year.

I'm curious what changed between this time last year and now such that DB decided to block the series. For what it's worth it seems like Chase replaces our CSP and CSR cards at a faster pace than Citi or Amex for fraud related concerns, but replacement cards don't get around this issue since it seems to be a card series block, but blocking a whole series of US-issued cards seems to be overkill. Just another lesson to carry cards of different sorts from different issuers.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
PayPal doesn't block the 414720 cards. DB seems to block the series at this time this year, but didn't at this time last year.

I'm curious what changed between this time last year and now such that DB decided to block the series. For what it's worth it seems like Chase replaces our CSP and CSR cards at a faster pace than Citi or Amex for fraud related concerns, but replacement cards don't get around this issue since it seems to be a card series block, but blocking a whole series of US-issued cards seems to be overkill. Just another lesson to carry cards of different sorts from different issuers.
DB seemed to be doing a far and wide block of US cards. My Corporate Citi charge card (Visa) didn't work at the ticket machine either. Also, I tried going to the ticket counter too, but the cards were still declined.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bullfrog23414
DB seemed to be doing a far and wide block of US cards. My Corporate Citi charge card (Visa) didn't work at the ticket machine either. Also, I tried going to the ticket counter too, but the cards were still declined.
To add to the list, my Barclay Aviator Red suddenly stopped working with DB as well.

I linked my CSP card to PayPal which works on the DB website. Unfortunately, I have to buy last minute regional tickets almost every day from the automated machines and am missing out on lot of extra points now that I can't use the CSP anymore.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:56 am

Yesterday my Chase Sapphire Reserve CSR would not work in purchasing DB tickets online. Tried numerous times thinking it was my mistake, but transaction went immediately through with another card.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Just booked a ticket on Bahn.de with my CSR and it worked fine.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Yes, I can confirm the CSP and CSR are working again for the past few weeks both on the website and automated ticket machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.