Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase policy (Oct 2016): No Annual Fee refund >30 days after AF billed.

New Chase policy (Oct 2016): No Annual Fee refund >30 days after AF billed.

Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Is it 30 days from when the specific daye if the annual fee charge or 30 days from the statement period beginning or end date?
I've seen enough conflicting data points that I would only ever consider the date that the annual fee posts.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:40 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Look at any Chase PDF/paper statement for the paragraph titled ANNUAL RENEWAL NOTICE. The terms are unambiguous. The 30 day clock begins running when the statement is issued. Not before.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

What is the current cutoff for closing card and get the annual fee reversed? 30 or 60 days?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:20 pm

If we downgrade, will we get the pro-rated annual fee back? Can anyone confirm this once again? Read different stories and trying to figure things out.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by 9Benua
What is the current cutoff for closing card and get the annual fee reversed? 30 or 60 days?
30 days

Originally Posted by ponickka
If we downgrade, will we get the pro-rated annual fee back? Can anyone confirm this once again? Read different stories and trying to figure things out.
Yes
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:42 am

is downgrade to freedom allowed within 60 days or still 30 day rule applies
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by sam007
is downgrade to freedom allowed within 60 days or still 30 day rule applies
If you downgrade, you have 60 days for a full refund, pro-rated after that.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
If you downgrade, you have 60 days for a full refund, pro-rated after that.
I tried downgrading today, and the rep told me that I wouldn't receive a pro-rated refund. She said that it would have been done within 30 days of the annual fee posting. It's been about four months. Has there been a recent change in policy? HUCA?

EDIT: NVM. I called again and the rep said I would receive a pro-rated refund. (I don't know why these Chase reps are not all on the same page.)

Last edited by nomorecoach; Dec 31, 2017 at 10:03 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
I tried downgrading today, and the rep told me that I wouldn't receive a pro-rated refund. She said that it would have been done within 30 days of the annual fee posting. It's been about four months. Has there been a recent change in policy? HUCA?

EDIT: NVM. I called again and the rep said I would receive a pro-rated refund. (I don't know why these Chase reps are not all on the same page.)
Chase phone reps routinely spew inaccuracies, as you have just found out. You should see your refund within a couple weeks, probably sooner.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:23 am

Chase phone reps routinely spew inaccuracies, as you have just found out. You should see your refund within a couple weeks, probably sooner.
Thank you.
I've read some comments that getting these annual fee refunds will cause a negative mark on your account with Chase and will further limit the ability to be approved for cards (and bonuses) in the future. Would you know anything about that?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Thank you.
I've read some comments that getting these annual fee refunds will cause a negative mark on your account with Chase and will further limit the ability to be approved for cards (and bonuses) in the future. Would you know anything about that?
I don't feel that those comments have any merit. The pro-rated AF refund is Chase's own policy, they offer it as a courtesy to keep a customer, and it happens automatically. Some have ethical concerns with downgrading shortly after receiving the bonus points to recoup much of the initial AF of the CSR or CIP, but that's a different conversation.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:54 pm

That's good to know. Thank you for your insight.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:32 am

I also heard that some Chase CSR said that when you downgrade CSR, the pro-rate annual fee refund you would receive will be deducted by the travel credit you already spent in that cycle. Anyone have any first hand experience about this?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by godsquare
I also heard that some Chase CSR said that when you downgrade CSR, the pro-rate annual fee refund you would receive will be deducted by the travel credit you already spent in that cycle. Anyone have any first hand experience about this?
I'm the one that wrote the initial article about this strategy back in August so I've been following this closely. Every data point so far indicates that the Chase rep was full of crap. There have been no deductions to any annual fee refunds--whether full or pro-rated.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:32 pm

I'm the one that wrote the initial article about this strategy back in August so I've been following this closely. Every data point so far indicates that the Chase rep was full of crap. There have been no deductions to any annual fee refunds--whether full or pro-rated.
Thank you. I will do it myself next month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.