Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase policy (Oct 2016): No Annual Fee refund >30 days after AF billed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase policy (Oct 2016): No Annual Fee refund >30 days after AF billed.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I'm the one that wrote the initial article about this strategy back in August so I've been following this closely. Every data point so far indicates that the Chase rep was full of crap. There have been no deductions to any annual fee refunds--whether full or pro-rated.
Bit of a geeky and somewhat pedantic question here: but do downgrades prorate by membership month or calendar month, being that Chase bills all annual fees on the 1st of the month? So say hypothetically your membership/statement month rolled over each month on the 12th. If you downgraded on the 20th, would you get 1/12 less of the annual fee refunded than if you had downgraded on the 7th?

I ask partly out of practical consideration and partly out of my normal curiosity into things that don't matter *that* much.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Bit of a geeky and somewhat pedantic question here: but do downgrades prorate by membership month or calendar month, being that Chase bills all annual fees on the 1st of the month? So say hypothetically your membership/statement month rolled over each month on the 12th. If you downgraded on the 20th, would you get 1/12 less of the annual fee refunded than if you had downgraded on the 7th?

I ask partly out of practical consideration and partly out of my normal curiosity into things that don't matter *that* much.
It's months since last annual fee, and since those are always posted on the 1st of the month, it's calendar month.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I'm the one that wrote the initial article about this strategy back in August so I've been following this closely. Every data point so far indicates that the Chase rep was full of crap. There have been no deductions to any annual fee refunds--whether full or pro-rated.
Do you know how long it takes to receive the pro-rated refund after product change is processed?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by godsquare
Do you know how long it takes to receive the pro-rated refund after product change is processed?
There doesn't seem to be any pattern. For some it's only a couple days, for others it's 2 weeks or more.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:04 pm

Data point:
1/2 CSP (ex-Fairmont) -> Freedom.
1/10 pro-rated credited
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Platimum, United 1K
Question: if I downgrade, will my credit card number change? I ask in case I return some products. Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jancotton
Question: if I downgrade, will my credit card number change? I ask in case I return some products. Thanks.
In general, the card number will not change but the expiration date will and perhaps the CVV number too.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta Platimum, United 1K
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
In general, the card number will not change but the expiration date will and perhaps the CVV number too.
thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Is the 30 day window from the date the fee appears or the date of the statement that contains the fee?

I just tried to cancel an Ink Preferred in this scenario -
Annual Fee is dated March 1
Statement date is March 11
Today is April 3

The agent insisted that I would receive no refund at all if I cancel today. Shouldn't I have until at least April 10?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Is the 30 day window from the date the fee appears or the date of the statement that contains the fee?

Today is April 3

The agent insisted that I would receive no refund at all if I cancel today. Shouldn't I have until at least April 10?
Convert to Ink Cash instead and you'll be good.

By the way, I recently did Ritz -> Marriott and CSR -> Freedom downgrades and partial refunds were posted. Thank you guys for this topic that made me feel comfortable going past 30 days after AF.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What does it say on the statement? I do not have an INK Preferred card, but I predict you will see this:

The annual membership fee is non-refundable unless you notify us that you wish to close your account within 30 days or one billing cycle (whichever is less) after we provide the statement on which the annual fee is billed.
I do not find any ambiguity in this statement. The CSR is simply wrong.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Ritz-Carlton card

My annual fee for RC card was posted on March 1st. I had sent a pm on March 27th but apparently did not go through. I sent another one today to ask to close the account. Will I get my AF back? Statement is date March 8th
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC

Today is April 3

Tried my luck with a secure message instead. It seems you are correct, mia... Got a message back that I was within the 30 days from statement date, no problem canceling for a refund, and I already see a zero balance on the account.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Thank you guys again for this topic!

I had already posted above that partial refunds successfully worked for me.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading one of the cards.

Does anyone know how often Chase allows for a card to be product-changed?
Old May 27, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Yoksel
Thank you guys again for this topic!

I had already posted above that partial refunds successfully worked for me.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading one of the cards.

Does anyone know how often Chase allows for a card to be product-changed?
Please see this thread for PC info: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...16-onward.html You can ask your question over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.