Chase Ink Business Preferred

Hide Wikipost
Old May 25, 20, 7:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: CodeAdam10
Wiki Link
What's the best current offer?

• 80,000 Chase UR points after $5K spend in 3 months, with $95 annual fee (not waived the first year)

Around May 2018: A 100,000 points offer was available from the Business Rep at your local Chase branch office. This was not available online and Chase will not retroactively up-match to this offer, even if you were recently approved via an online application. The 100k in-branch offer was also previously available, then discontinued, and came back around Small Business Week 2018.

Additionally: For those who may be automatically excluded due to 5/24, the in-branch Business Rep can submit the application by Mail on your behalf (this avoids the application going through the computer check that would automatically exclude those who are already at 5/24.) First year's annual fee is not waived.

October 2018: 100,000 points offer is no longer available. Best offer is 80,000 points after $5,000 in first 90 days.

July 2017: Some members may have a referral link and would be very grateful if you would use it. See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html

1) Should I apply using the link above or go to a nearby brick and mortar branch?
Sometimes there are better offers to be had in the branch (as referenced above). Some in-branch apps had/have the $95 AF waived 1st yr (ymmv). You can also have your banker check to see if you are pre-approved for this card (green screen on the banker's log in). However, it is likely simpler/easier to do a Chase business credit application Online as applying in-branch often requires providing documentation (proof of business, etc).
2) How do the rewards differ from other INK cards?
The bonus categories on this card are different than other cards in the INK family, notably, this card does NOT get a bonus at Office Supply stores, but DOES get the following:

3 Points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases in the following categories each account anniversary year:

- Travel; including airfare, hotels, rental cars, train tickets, and taxis - Shipping purchases
- Internet, cable and phone services
- Advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines

- 1 Point per $1 on all other purchases (with no limits on the number of points you can earn).

Also, notably, it follows the Sapphire Preferred personal card in offering a bonus when using points to book travel using the Ultimate Rewards web site: Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 towards travel.*

See discussion on using the UR portal, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ts-2017-a.html
3) What are the insurance and other benefits provided by this card?
The Benefits Guide is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/inkpreferred
4) Can I product change from a different INK Card?
Since this card is newly released, options may change in the future, but, at this time, Chase is not permitting product change to Ink Preferred at this time (reported on 11/23/16).
See our ongoing discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html
To check app. status find the numbers in the WIKI in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...onward-43.html

(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 20, 5:03 am

Is Chase tightening the reins on approvals? Just denied at 4/24, high credit score. Last CC approval was for Aer Lingus in March. Combined credit limit with Chase is $60k on $152 income. Is it worth calling in?
Old Jun 1, 20, 5:27 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by theplayer View Post
Is Chase tightening the reins on approvals?
Yes. Please read here: Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 onward)
Old Jun 15, 20, 7:35 pm

I am renting a house for a week through a real estate agency that takes cards. I know they are coded as travel by Chase since a few months ago I used a Chase Marriott card for a charge with them and saw the designation. The Visa MCC lists them as a hotel/motel. If I use the ink card will it only earn normal points since Real Estate agents are excluded from the travel bonus, even if it is coded as a travel category?

I suspect it would only earn base points so I then would use the AMEX bus blue card for 2x MR points.
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by mileshound View Post
The Visa MCC lists them as a hotel/motel.
This is all that matters. If true, you will earn UR as travel.

Originally Posted by mileshound View Post
...Real Estate agents are excluded from the travel bonus, even if it is coded as a travel category?
This won't happen. Again, if the Visa code is hotel/motel, it's a hotel/motel, not a real estate agent, as far as Chase is concerned.
Old Jun 27, 20, 5:57 pm

I applied for the chase ink preferred in June 2018, received the signup bonus, and cancelled in July 2019. Can I reapply and get the sign up bonus now?

Its been 24 months since I was last approved, but I’m a little confused if that is enough, or if I have to wait 24 months from when I received the signup bonus (which was probably 2-3 months after opening it in 2018).
Old Jun 27, 20, 6:10 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

The terms of the offer stipulate 24 months from receipt of bonus:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
In practice, Chase has reportedly not enforced this restriction.

HOWEVER, it now more difficult to be approved for any Chase business card, and previous success is not an indicator. See here:

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 onward)
RNE, pallhedge and Traveler56789 like this.
Old Jul 14, 20, 3:43 pm

I just noticed I stopped receiving 3x UR points for any shipping labels created through PayPal [PayPal *USPOSTALSER] ... Called Chase CS, they said those transactions are now classified as 'government agency' and blame PayPal for coding it that way.

Anyone else having this issue? It was 3x up until early June...
Old Jul 14, 20, 3:44 pm

Has anyone had any issue with getting 3X points for purchases with social media or search engines recently with their card recently?

I'm nowhere near the $150k annual spend cap for the bonus categories and for some reason this past week, I'm noticing Google Ads on Chase.com shows up as 1X instead of 3X. This is the same bonus category that was awarding 3X since January 2020 (when I got the card).

Originally Posted by rafsta View Post
I just noticed I stopped receiving 3x UR points for any shipping labels created through PayPal [PayPal *USPOSTALSER] ... Called Chase CS, they said those transactions are now classified as 'government agency' and blame PayPal for coding it that way.

Anyone else having this issue? It was 3x up until early June...
I sent a SM yesterday and they said something similar: " GOOGLE *ADS categorizes themselves as " Computer Programming, " with Visa and MasterCard, which isn't in the bonus category" which is really disappointing. I first noticed the change from 3X --> 1X starting in early July.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 14, 20 at 5:11 pm
Old Jul 14, 20, 4:03 pm
mia

Originally Posted by rafsta View Post
....Chase CS, they said those transactions are now classified as 'government agency' and blame PayPal for coding it that way.
Originally Posted by TheOneWiththeHitStick3290 View Post
" GOOGLE *ADS categorizes themselves as " Computer Programming, "
Categories are controlled by the merchant, not by any card issuer. The actual choice is typically made by the merchant's "acquirer", the company that processes card transactions for the merchant. Larger merchants change acquirers periodically, or use more than one, which introduces some inconsistency into the classifications.

The good news is that, if the merchant is a dominant supplier in the category that the card issuer has targeted, there will be many complaints, and the issuer will be motivated to resolve it. If you call again, make sure you get past the first few layers of customer service to someone who can document the change. No one can "fix" this is one phone call, but they can start a process.
Old Jul 14, 20, 4:06 pm

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I'll give them a call and politely ask to sort this out!
Old Sep 1, 20, 11:02 am

Does anyone know if eBay fees count towards 3x category? I know they used to, but stopped maybe 1-2 years ago.
Old Sep 11, 20, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Can you have two of these cards at the same time and earn the 3X on $150K of internet advertising on both? I legitimately have a second business entity with it's own EIN if it matters.
Old Sep 13, 20, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by vstypicals View Post
Does anyone know if eBay fees count towards 3x category? I know they used to, but stopped maybe 1-2 years ago.
They stopped that about 2 or 3 years ago. I changed my ebay fees to Freedom Unlimited. If anyone knows they somehow switched back.. let me know! LOL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: