Chase Ink Business Preferred

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
Wiki Link
What's the best current offer?
  • 80,000 Chase UR points after $5K spend in 3 months, with $95 annual fee (not waived the first year)

May 2018: A 100,000 points offer is available from the Business Rep at your local Chase branch office. This is not available online and Chase will not retroactively up-match to this offer, even if you were recently approved via an online application. The 100k in-branch offer was previously available, then discontinued, and now seems to be back at least for Small Business Week 2018. Additionally, for those who may be automatically excluded due to 5/24, the in-branch Business Rep can submit the application by Mail on your behalf (this avoids the application going through the computer check that would automatically exclude those who are already at 5/24.) First year's annual fee is not waived.

October 2018: 100,000 points offer is no longer available. Best offer is 80,000 points after $5,000 in first 90 days.

July 2017: Some members may have a referral link and would be very grateful if you would use it. See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html

1) Should I apply using the link above or go to a nearby brick and mortar branch?
Sometimes there are better offers to be had in the branch (as referenced above). Some in-branch apps had/have the $95 AF waived 1st yr (ymmv). You can also have your banker check to see if you are pre-approved for this card (green screen on the banker's log in). However, it is likely simpler/easier to do a Chase business credit application Online as applying in-branch often requires providing documentation (proof of business, etc).
2) How do the rewards differ from other INK cards?
The bonus categories on this card are different than other cards in the INK family, notably, this card does NOT get a bonus at Office Supply stores, but DOES get the following:

3 Points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases in the following categories each account anniversary year:

- Travel; including airfare, hotels, rental cars, train tickets, and taxis
- Shipping purchases
- Internet, cable and phone services
- Advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines

- 1 Point per $1 on all other purchases (with no limits on the number of points you can earn).

Also, notably, it follows the Sapphire Preferred personal card in offering a bonus when using points to book travel using the Ultimate Rewards web site: Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 towards travel.*

See discussion on using the UR portal, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ts-2017-a.html
3) What are the insurance and other benefits provided by this card?
The Benefits Guide is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/inkpreferred
4) Can I product change from a different INK Card?
Since this card is newly released, options may change in the future, but, at this time, Chase is not permitting product change to Ink Preferred at this time (reported on 11/23/16).
See our ongoing discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html
To check app. status find the numbers in the WIKI in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...onward-43.html

(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jun 19, 19, 1:06 pm
  #1006  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,339
Just a data point. Not much different from others' experience, but I found this thread really helpful so just trying to tack on some additional information for what it's worth.

2 Chase business cards and 6 personal cards. 3/24. One of the business cards is a business preferred in the name of an actual sole proprietorship business with an EIN. Card was issued in the name of the business using the EIN for the application. (I think this was before the requirements changed for using only actual person name for name of business for chase business apps for sole proprietorship.) Bonus received on prior preferred card in February 2017. Applied this week for a second preferred card. Used SSN and actual name. Reduced credit limits on a personal card and a business card. Got pending message and telephone status line gave 30 day message. Approved today automatically -- so 3 days. No verification or call required. We actually have a good story to tell about why we need a second card for a second business but didn't need to give it.
lkar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:59 pm
  #1007  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 35
When are points converted from your spending? My annual fee is due soon (I think next billing) and I just paid off a 4k credit card bill. I'd like to cancel before the annual fee is due but was wondering if I cancel it now, does that mean I give up points from that 4k spending?
fly2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 19, 3:31 am
  #1008  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,853
Originally Posted by fly2 View Post
When are points converted from your spending? My annual fee is due soon (I think next billing) and I just paid off a 4k credit card bill. I'd like to cancel before the annual fee is due but was wondering if I cancel it now, does that mean I give up points from that 4k spending?
UR points post to your account when the billing cycle ends and the statement is published.

There is no need to close your card prior to the annual fee posting - you have 30 days after the annual fee posts to cancel the card without paying the annual fee (or you'll get it refunded if you do pay it and then cancel within those 30 days.) https://www.doctorofcredit.com/annua...h-card-issuer/

Let the billing cycle end, your UR points will post, and you can either redeem them, transfer them to another UR earning card, or transfer them to a Chase travel partner. Then close the card.
fly2 likes this.
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 19, 5:50 pm
  #1009  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 253
I just received a physical mailer with an invitation code & offer code​​​ to apply for the this card. Does the invitation code by pass the 5/24 rule? Thanks.
asdfghjk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 19, 10:31 pm
  #1010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,765
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
I just received a physical mailer with an invitation code & offer code​​​ to apply for the this card. Does the invitation code by pass the 5/24 rule? Thanks.
It does not
SuperKirby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 19, 6:23 am
  #1011  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
It does not
Thanks. So, the only sure way to bypass the 5/24 rule now is to have in-branch approvals?
asdfghjk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 19, 6:34 am
  #1012  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,765
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
Thanks. So, the only sure way to bypass the 5/24 rule now is to have in-branch approvals?
AFAIK yes that's what i've heard here on FT but I think that's also a YMMV case. Someone else can chime in on here.
SuperKirby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 19, 10:26 pm
  #1013  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: IHG Platinum
Posts: 901
Does Chase count 24 months to the day?

I received my first Ink Business Preferred bonus on July 17, 2017. Am I already eligible again on July 21, 2019? I would have preferred to wait until August but as the big final payment of my tour bill is due on Aug 12, 2019 which I'm hoping to pay off with the Ink Preferred, waiting for Aug 1 to apply is cutting it close as recently Chase approvals take a few days to one week for me.

Cards approved within the past 24 months:

BofA Alaska Airlines Personal Jan 2018 (now closed)
Chase Sapphire Preferred Feb 2018 (currently open with CL $16,800)
Amex Delta Gold Personal Dec 2018 (currently open)
Chase United Explorer Mileageplus Business Mar 2019 with CL $5,000

So I'm at 3/24 or at most 4/24 if you count my Chase business card.

Some additional questions:

Is a 4 month gap from my last Chase business card too soon to apply for another Chase business card?
Considering my most recent Chase card only got approved for $5K CL, is Chase likely to approve me for another $5K CL card?
Would you recommend me lowering the CSP's CL to better my chances of approval for Ink Preferred?
hightide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 19, 5:37 am
  #1014  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by hightide View Post
Does Chase count 24 months to the day?

I received my first Ink Business Preferred bonus on July 17, 2017. Am I already eligible again on July 21, 2019? I would have preferred to wait until August but as the big final payment of my tour bill is due on Aug 12, 2019 which I'm hoping to pay off with the Ink Preferred, waiting for Aug 1 to apply is cutting it close as recently Chase approvals take a few days to one week for me.

Cards approved within the past 24 months:

BofA Alaska Airlines Personal Jan 2018 (now closed)
Chase Sapphire Preferred Feb 2018 (currently open with CL $16,800)
Amex Delta Gold Personal Dec 2018 (currently open)
Chase United Explorer Mileageplus Business Mar 2019 with CL $5,000

So I'm at 3/24 or at most 4/24 if you count my Chase business card.

Some additional questions:

Is a 4 month gap from my last Chase business card too soon to apply for another Chase business card?
Considering my most recent Chase card only got approved for $5K CL, is Chase likely to approve me for another $5K CL card?
Would you recommend me lowering the CSP's CL to better my chances of approval for Ink Preferred?
My experience with Chase has been that there counter resets at the end of the month. So you are free to apply on or after 1st of the following month.
hightide and SuperKirby like this.
vm81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 19, 5:42 am
  #1015  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,765
USPS

Does USPS shipping or even stamps count as 3x?
SuperKirby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 19, 9:30 am
  #1016  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: IHG Platinum
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
Does USPS shipping or even stamps count as 3x?
USPS does (or at least did when I had the card in 2018)
SuperKirby likes this.
hightide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 19, 5:01 pm
  #1017  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by hightide View Post
Does Chase count 24 months to the day?

I received my first Ink Business Preferred bonus on July 17, 2017. Am I already eligible again on July 21, 2019? I would have preferred to wait until August but as the big final payment of my tour bill is due on Aug 12, 2019 which I'm hoping to pay off with the Ink Preferred, waiting for Aug 1 to apply is cutting it close as recently Chase approvals take a few days to one week for me.

Cards approved within the past 24 months:

BofA Alaska Airlines Personal Jan 2018 (now closed)
Chase Sapphire Preferred Feb 2018 (currently open with CL $16,800)
Amex Delta Gold Personal Dec 2018 (currently open)
Chase United Explorer Mileageplus Business Mar 2019 with CL $5,000

So I'm at 3/24 or at most 4/24 if you count my Chase business card.

Some additional questions:

Is a 4 month gap from my last Chase business card too soon to apply for another Chase business card?
Considering my most recent Chase card only got approved for $5K CL, is Chase likely to approve me for another $5K CL card?
Would you recommend me lowering the CSP's CL to better my chances of approval for Ink Preferred?
I would wait until at least 08/01. If you apply in branch and request expedited shipping, you should get it within a week.
hightide and SuperKirby like this.
asdfghjk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 11:22 am
  #1018  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,339
Mrs. lkar received a bonus on a first CIP in July 2017 and she is currently under 5/24 and we want to try for a second bonus. The annual fee is due on the first card soon.

If we close that card now before applying next month for a second CIP will that affect our chances? In other words is it better to keep that account open and pay the fee or is it better to close it now and then apply in a month? Or does it not really matter?
lkar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:21 pm
  #1019  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,853
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
Mrs. lkar received a bonus on a first CIP in July 2017 and she is currently under 5/24 and we want to try for a second bonus. The annual fee is due on the first card soon.

If we close that card now before applying next month for a second CIP will that affect our chances? In other words is it better to keep that account open and pay the fee or is it better to close it now and then apply in a month? Or does it not really matter?
I would just apply for the second CIP now (unless you are waiting until next month for a reason you haven't stated) and then close CIP 1 after approval of CIP 2. (I def wouldn't pay the annual fee on CIP 1 if I didn't plan to keep it.)

To address your original query, however, I don't think it really matters when you cancel the first CIP. The only downside (that I can see) to cancelling it prior to your CIP 2 app would be if you had to recon for some reason and the CSR asked why you were applying for a CIP when you just closed a CIP. (Easily enough explained, though.)
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:25 pm
  #1020  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PHX
Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,339
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
I would just apply for the second CIP now (unless you are waiting until next month for a reason you haven't stated) and then close CIP 1 after approval of CIP 2. (I def wouldn't pay the annual fee on CIP 1 if I didn't plan to keep it.)

To address your original query, however, I don't think it really matters when you cancel the first CIP. The only downside (that I can see) to cancelling it prior to your CIP 2 app would be if you had to recon for some reason and the CSR asked why you were applying for a CIP when you just closed a CIP. (Easily enough explained, though.)
Thanks very much for the response. Unless I'm misunderstanding I think I need to wait until 8/1 to apply because she received the bonus in late July 2017 but the annual fee is due now. It's kind of close timing wise. I think I'll just close now and then hopefully it won't come up when we try to open the new card in August.
lkar is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread