Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Ink Business Preferred (2016 - 2020 ARCHIVED)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
THIS THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION HERE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031752-chase-ink-business-preferred-2021-onward.html

================================================== ==================================
  • 100,000 Chase UR points after $15K spend in 3 months, with $95 annual fee (not waived the first year)

Additionally: For those who may be automatically excluded due to 5/24, the in-branch Business Rep can submit the application by Mail on your behalf (this avoids the application going through the computer check that would automatically exclude those who are already at 5/24.) First year's annual fee is not waived.

: Some members may have a referral link and would be very grateful if you would use it. See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html

1) Should I apply using the link above or go to a nearby brick and mortar branch?
Sometimes there are better offers to be had in the branch (as referenced above). Some in-branch apps had/have the $95 AF waived 1st yr (ymmv). You can also have your banker check to see if you are pre-approved for this card (green screen on the banker's log in). However, it is likely simpler/easier to do a Chase business credit application Online as applying in-branch often requires providing documentation (proof of business, etc).

2) How do the rewards differ from other INK cards?
The bonus categories on this card are different than other cards in the INK family, notably, this card does NOT get a bonus at Office Supply stores, but DOES get the following:

3 Points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases in the following categories each account anniversary year:

- Travel; including airfare, hotels, rental cars, train tickets, and taxis
- Shipping purchases
- Internet, cable and phone services
- Advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines

- 1 Point per $1 on all other purchases (with no limits on the number of points you can earn).

Also, notably, it follows the Sapphire Preferred personal card in offering a bonus when using points to book travel using the Ultimate Rewards web site: Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 towards travel.*

See discussion on using the UR portal, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ts-2017-a.html
3) What are the insurance and other benefits provided by this card?
The Benefits Guide is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/inkpreferred
4) Can I product change from a different INK Card?
Since this card is newly released, options may change in the future, but, at this time, Chase is not permitting product change to Ink Preferred at this time (reported on 11/23/16).
See our ongoing discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html
To check app. status find the numbers in the WIKI in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...onward-43.html

(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated

================================================== ================================================== ==========================================

Landing page for all INK cards: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ink-business-compare-cards/nov?CELL=6RRW&jp_cmp=cc/Ink-General_Brand_Exact_Ink_SEM_US_Desktop_Standard_NA/sea/p56076138828/Business+Card+-+Chase+-+Ink&ds_rl=1268784&ds_rl=1238366&ds_rl=1238420&gcl id=EAIaIQobChMIoIqR-oic7QIV1x6tBh3k0gDyEAAYASAAEgItB_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.d s

Print Wikipost

Chase Ink Business Preferred (2016 - 2020 ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:40 pm

Closing account and opening new Ink

Hi, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm still unfamiliar with all the ins and outs of managing accounts and points. I still have the old Chase Ink from like 2 years ago I think it was. I want to get the new one Ink card for the 80k bonus. Can I still get the bonus if I still have the old one active or do I have to close that one first and then apply? Is there a certain amount of time I have to wait before I can apply for the new one?

And also, when I am closing the old Ink account, can I or should I move my UR points to over to my Freedom account first before closing? If I don't, I will lose those points?

Thank you in advance. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by at1127
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm still unfamiliar with all the ins and outs of managing accounts and points. I still have the old Chase Ink from like 2 years ago I think it was. I want to get the new one Ink card for the 80k bonus. Can I still get the bonus if I still have the old one active or do I have to close that one first and then apply? Is there a certain amount of time I have to wait before I can apply for the new one?

And also, when I am closing the old Ink account, can I or should I move my UR points to over to my Freedom account first before closing? If I don't, I will lose those points?

Thank you in advance. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
Welcome to FT! The first thing you should do is educate yourself about the rules of the Chase Ink Biz card. Start by opening the WIKI at the top of the page. Read it all. You are eligible for the new card and bonus if it's been 24 months since you received the original bonus AND you don't have the current card (cancel it). But, you need to do something with your current UR points first. Options are: move them to your Freedom card, buy some flights and/or hotel stays or transfer them to an airline or hotel partner (30 days to do this or Chase will keep the points).

If I missed something there are 100s of members here who can give you more information.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:13 pm

Thank you, I appreciate the info.

So can I cancel the card and apply for the new one right away?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by at1127
So can I cancel the card and apply for the new one right away?
No. If you cancel, you need to wait 30 days before re-applying. Alternatively, you can downgrade your card to Ink Cash (no annual fee). You won't need to do anything with your existing points (they'll stay with the Ink Cash card) and you only need to wait a week to apply for Ink Preferred. Later, you can combine your old points from the Ink Cash onto your new Ink Preferred.
philemer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
No. If you cancel, you need to wait 30 days before re-applying. Alternatively, you can downgrade your card to Ink Cash (no annual fee). You won't need to do anything with your existing points (they'll stay with the Ink Cash card) and you only need to wait a week to apply for Ink Preferred. Later, you can combine your old points from the Ink Cash onto your new Ink Preferred.
If you downgrade to the Ink Cash you don't get the Su bonus which I believe is currently 50K UR points

IMO he/she is better off getting the INK cash card from scratch, then cancelling the INK Preferred and getting the INK Preferred again a couple months later.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
New Chase Ink Preferred. 9k CL, used 7.5k first statement. Paid all off in full on 7/19. It is now 7/27, and while my balance shows $0, available credit is still only 1.5k. Reason to be concerned?
I was approved for a 5k limit (utterly ridiculous, but anyway), needed to charge a 6k travel expense. Called them and told them I needed 6k and was going to charge 3k, pay it, wait for the cl to go back up then pay the other 3k, agent said it was ok. Held my breath after the 1st charge, paid it right away. Credit limit jumped right back up so I paid the last 3k and left it on the statement til the statement end. Paid it off and no problems. I know that's not the recommended way of handling it and agents sometimes are not the most knowledgeable but I wanted to make my spend and have the entire expense on one card. Fortunately it worked. This took place in May.

Last edited by vbnet; Jul 31, 2018 at 4:01 pm Reason: addtl info
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
If you downgrade to the Ink Cash you don't get the Su bonus which I believe is currently 50K UR points

IMO he/she is better off getting the INK cash card from scratch, then cancelling the INK Preferred and getting the INK Preferred again a couple months later.
OP is currently interested in applying for the Ink Preferred, not the Ink Cash. My suggested alternative does nothing to stop OP from getting the Ink Cash bonus any time in the future. If in a few months, OP would like to apply for Ink Cash and the 50k bonus, all the same options exist. Cancel or product change the Ink Cash (product changed from original Ink Preferred), then apply.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by vbnet
I was approved for a 5k limit (utterly ridiculous, but anyway), needed to charge a 6k travel expense. Called them and told them I needed 6k and was going to charge 3k, pay it, wait for the cl to go back up then pay the other 3k, agent said it was ok. Held my breath after the 1st charge, paid it right away. Credit limit jumped right back up so I paid the last 3k and left it on the statement til the statement end. Paid it off and no problems. I know that's not the recommended way of handling it and agents sometimes are not the most knowledgeable but I wanted to make my spend and have the entire expense on one card. Fortunately it worked. This took place in May.
I was approved for 5k limit on Ink Unlimited - also ridiculous, and I had lowered CLs on biz accounts (and personal) before applying. Whatever also - plan on starting slwo a month or so and then calling in to get that raised.
vbnet likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
I was approved for 5k limit on Ink Unlimited - also ridiculous, and I had lowered CLs on biz accounts (and personal) before applying. Whatever also - plan on starting slwo a month or so and then calling in to get that raised.
How long after lowering CL before you applied for Ink Unlimited?

I am concern now as I lowered a bunch of Chase credit cards a few months ago to try for biz app instance approval which I may get. However, it appears that the overall CL from Chase might be reduced sufficiently.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Declined due to 5/24 even though business card on existing legitimate business. Guess I'll have to wait.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This seems to be a recurring source of confusion. Chase business card applications are subject to the 5/24 rule. Chase business card accounts are not included in the 5/24 calculation.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by robchow
How long after lowering CL before you applied for Ink Unlimited?

I am concern now as I lowered a bunch of Chase credit cards a few months ago to try for biz app instance approval which I may get. However, it appears that the overall CL from Chase might be reduced sufficiently.
So... *sheepishly* just 1 day... but I intend on closing CIP (fee renewal is next month), so I just SM'ed to move 10k of credit line from that card to my CIU yesterday and this morning looks like it was honored, so no harm there.
robchow likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Here's a data point. I got the Ink Plus in 2016. Downgraded to Ink Cash last month. Dropped to 4/24 last month. Applied for the Ink Preferred yesterday and got to 30 day noticed. Logged into my Ink account today and I see the Ink Preferred showing up. My mistake was that I did not send myself a referral email so I lost 20k points. Oh well.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
New Chase Ink Preferred. 9k CL, used 7.5k first statement. Paid all off in full on 7/19. It is now 7/27, and while my balance shows $0, available credit is still only 1.5k. Reason to be concerned?
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I'm not sure. My IHG card is doing similar. Online it shows available to be $2300 less than my limit, but I paid it off last week. Not sure what the deal is. My CSR isn't doing that though, as I paid it off last week as well.

Shows the same in the Chase app as well, but shows credit line hasn't changed.
Originally Posted by closertothesun
Yes, I was given a link and applied. Confirmed via SM offer attached.
Me too. Did you ever figure this out. The only thing I may be doing to trigger this is multiple payments. I spend a few thousand, pay a few thousand spend and repeat. Maybe 4 or 5 spend , pay cycles a month.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by beachmiles

Me too. Did you ever figure this out. The only thing I may be doing to trigger this is multiple payments. I spend a few thousand, pay a few thousand spend and repeat. Maybe 4 or 5 spend , pay cycles a month.
Make sure the payment has posted to your checking account. Call Chase and tell them funds have cleared and you would like them to verify via a 3-way call (Chase will set up) between You, Chase and Your Bank.

When I had a similar issue I messaged and received the following response:
"Dear XXXXX, I would like to inform you that I see that you made a payment of $XXXXX on July 6, 2018. Your payment is pending for additional verification until July 14, 2018. Once we've verified your payment, your funds will be available, and we'll show your payment was effective the day it was received.

We can release the funds earlier, if you
- Provide proof that the payment cleared which includes your bank statement showing the dollar amount and date the payment cleared your checking account, or
- Request a three-way call between you, your bank and our payment team by calling the number on the back of your card."
beachmiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.