Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Booking flights, rooms. cars, cruises, etc w/Chase U.R.; July, 2015 >

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion, beginning in January 2017, here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1820508-booking-flights-rooms-cars-etc-w-ultimate-rewards-points-2017-a.html

Posts prior to July, 2015, are archived here: Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Booking flights, rooms. cars, cruises, etc w/Chase U.R.; July, 2015 >

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:48 pm

Thanks SanDiego1K. That really helps a lot.

I am still researching but I should order soon so the close in ticketing fees shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pkerofdarkness
Due to a pretty urgent family matter, I need to go back to Taiwan from Los Angeles at the end of August...
Award inventory for Summer is always difficult to get. Although the situation will improve by the end of August, there is no guarantee that you can get what you want.

Since that is only 2 months away, I am trying to read and learn how to maximize my rewards.
In your case, maximizing rewards basically means lying to yourself.

Since you don't have enough, you are stuck in Y definitely. Bottom line - your saving is equivalent to the cost of your ticket.

Tickets for the end of August are usually not expensive. You should check them out.

In your case, it may not be a good idea to redeem an award ticket.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm seeing lots of dates for ~$600 r/t at end of August. I'd probably just pay cash for the ticket as that's fairly cheap
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:21 pm

Thanks. I checked the prices and I am seeing around 800 round trip for tickets from LAX to TPE.

It seems you guys are recommending that I save my Ultimate Reward points because I have too less. About how many should I have before I can actually put it to good use?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It seems you guys are recommending that I save my Ultimate Reward points because I have too less.
Not exactly - the cost of a ticket is simply not worth spending the UR.

As I said, it is a lying game. But do you rather save $800, or defer your UR usage to a trip during Christmas that can save you $1,600?

But you can see it this way as well.

About how many should I have before I can actually put it to good use?
At the minimum, equivalent to a J award ticket.

Note - No one is asking you to redeem a J award ticket. But once you are at the level, you will see things more clearly, as you have a choice.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:31 am

Cuba

Has anyone been successful booking airfare to Cuba with UR points? They're telling me Cuba is still "sanctioned." Had same situation with booking with TYP's. Hopefully they update their definition before AA's fare sale ends.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raskage
Has anyone been successful booking airfare to Cuba with UR points? They're telling me Cuba is still "sanctioned." Had same situation with booking with TYP's. Hopefully they update their definition before AA's fare sale ends.
Despite all of the fuzz about Cuba, the sanction against Cuba is still in place as of April 16, 2016:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...a_faqs_new.pdf

It will still be a while.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:25 pm

In my experience, Chase UR Mall bookings appear to give until the end of the next business day to cancel most nonrefundable tickets with no penalty. For instance, I had to cancel a ticket booked Friday afternoon. I could cancel it on Sunday morning, even though it was > 24 hours.

Last edited by thehimalayas; Jul 3, 2016 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:01 am

Stupid question.

I've got 140,000 points on UR. I've read that I can use convert it for miles. So am I looking at 140k miles that could potentially allow me to fly Business or First class?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by The.walker
.... I've read that I can use convert it for miles.
Correct provided you hold a card that is eligible to transfer (Sapphire Peferred , Ink Bold, Ink Plus , JPM Select, or JPM Palladium). See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mes-rules.html
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:58 pm

Just an FYI

I bought several safeway gcs from staples thru UR website and i received all 2x points plus 5x points for all of them..

I think 2x points only does not apply if you buy mastercard and visa gcs.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:56 pm

Trip cancellation paying full amount with UR points

Hope I can get some clarification here regarding Chase trip cancellation.
I have 2 airfare trips coming up, one booked as 2 one-ways and one booked as a roundtrip. However this weekend I got into a small accident and will most likely not be able to sit in any kind of airline seat for the next couple of weeks. The flight booked as rt is through my Chase Sapphire and I was told it would be covered with a doctor's note. The two ow flights were booked with my Chase Ink through Ultimate Rewards and I paid the complete airfare and all fees with points so there is no actual charge on my Chase Ink card. I called the Ink hotline today and was told that my trip is covered under the trip cancellation insurance if it was paid with my Chase card only.

Does anyone here know if I'm still covered using UR points only and paying no residual value with any Chase card. Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:26 am

Seems like they gave you a thorough and complete answer already.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:06 am

The agent didn't really have an answer regarding the UR trip and just read the terms to me.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:10 am

But the terms are pretty clear. Unless the travel was paid for using your Chase card, the cancellation/interruption insurance does not apply. Paying with UR points is not using your Chase card unfortunately (Chase does not put take the UR points, put money onto your card, and then use the card to purchase the tickets).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.