Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 3:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 24, 16, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDJennings View Post
Applying in mid September (when CSR was first available) means 90 days later (the deadline to cancel a CSR and get an AF refund) is only mid December 2016. On a side note: Chase now tells people they only have 30 days after the billing statement in which their AF posts for them to cancel and receive a full refund.

I actually just checked and I got the full AF back. Go figure.
Because you canceled within 90 days under the old term which is to get full refund.
The new 30 days from billing date, NOT statement date, is in effect Oct 12 on all Chase cards.
Though downgrade still seems to give refund AUTOMATICALLY even well pass the deadline despite people are told otherwise.

Not everyone is like you and applies for cards with the intention of, "screw[ing]," over issuers. JP Morgan was always trying to get me to sign up for Private Banking due to knowledge of my assets from when they were involved in M&A for the sale of one of my companies. Originally in August, I was only a CPC and applied for a Palladium card. The CSR's earning structure was a perfect compliment to the Palladium's.

Last month or so, I finally bit the bullet and decided to park some assets over with JPM PB and in the process they converted my Palladium into a JP Morgan Reserve card. Obviously, that card is a better version of the Sapphire Reserve, so there was no real reason for me to hold onto the CSR anymore.

In the middle of last week, I decided to call up Chase and see what could be done about the CSR. I asked if I could PC it to Freedom and they did it right away. My datapoint was really just to highlight that product changes are possible even if a card is less than a year old and subject to the CARD Act. I went through the regular phone system and not through my private banker.
Had you given the above more detailed info from the beginning, I believe others would understand far better instead of painting you in the bad light of blatantly taking advantage of the system.

As for the swift service and the special treatment you received from Chase - I hope others would not expect to get the same treatment. After all, being JPM PB is a lot harder than CPC to be sure. The last thing Chase wants to do is to piss a JPM PB off.

Regardless which phone number you call, your status with Chase is readily shown in the system - unless the CSR does not pay attention, otherwise s/he would see you are high valued client and should be treated accordingly.
Old Nov 24, 16, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yztim View Post
She applied 2 weeks later wanting a recent Hyatt card to be over 3 months ago.
Being CPC I dont think that matter. Lending rep did the moving of CL on both our app on the same phone call. All she needed was an authorization that one spouse could speak on behalf of the other spouse - standard procedure.
Old Nov 24, 16, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Critterlynn View Post
Maybe you should not have applied so quickly. Had you waited, you could have pushed that 90 day window into 2017 and got another $300 travel credit.

I mean if you're going to screw Chase over and risk getting blacklisted, screw them good and hard.
Is that really much of a risk? We cheapskates and churners can't be more than a tiny, tiny fraction of Chase's customer base. I doubt that we merit special algorithms in their IT systems to spot and blacklist the most aggressive of us.
Old Nov 24, 16, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Because you canceled within 90 days under the old term which is to get full refund.
The new 30 days from billing date, NOT statement date, is in effect Oct 12 on all Chase cards.
Though downgrade still seems to give refund AUTOMATICALLY even well pass the deadline despite people are told otherwise.
Good info!

As for the swift service and the special treatment you received from Chase - I hope others would not expect to get the same treatment. After all, being JPM PB is a lot harder than CPC to be sure. The last thing Chase wants to do is to piss a JPM PB off.

Regardless which phone number you call, your status with Chase is readily shown in the system - unless the CSR does not pay attention, otherwise s/he would see you are high valued client and should be treated accordingly.
Possibly, but the odd part is usually they answered the phone with, "Chase Sapphire, how may I help you," instead of, "JP Morgan, what can I help you with today, Mr. MDJennings?" The rep also seemed to fumble around and didn't even know immediately what the JPMR card was. Anyway, I figured I'd let people know that it's possible even with a brand new account. If Chase were limited by the CARD Act, I'm guessing they wouldn't have allowed the PC (and terms change) even to their JPM PB clients.

EDIT: If truly limited by the CARD Act, they could still accommodate their JPM PB clients by leaving the CSR open, fee waiving the whole thing, and then opening a new Freedom which they wouldn't report to the CRAs.
Old Nov 24, 16, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good info!

Possibly, but the odd part is usually they answered the phone with, "Chase Sapphire, how may I help you," instead of, "JP Morgan, what can I help you with today, Mr. MDJennings?" The rep also seemed to fumble around and didn't even know immediately what the JPMR card was. Anyway, I figured I'd let people know that it's possible even with a brand new account. If Chase were limited by the CARD Act, I'm guessing they wouldn't have allowed the PC (and terms change) even to their JPM PB clients.
Dont know the details but if a client is qualified for a very high valued product (proof of assets to certain threshold), said client might not be subj to the C.A.R.D. Act. There are certain criteria one needs to meet in order to become clients of certain financial products. There are tons of intricacy involved. I just want to point this out so the readers would not be naive enough to think s/he could have the same treatment because someone like you posted the DP without the background.
Old Nov 24, 16, 12:26 pm

Dont know the details but if a client is qualified for a very high valued product (proof of assets to certain threshold), said client might not be subj to the C.A.R.D. Act. There are certain criteria one needs to meet in order to become clients of certain financial products. There are tons of intricacy involved. I just want to point this out so the readers would not be naive enough to think s/he could have the same treatment because someone like you posted the DP without the background.
That's highly possible as well. However, if I needed special treatment/handling for something, I'd have to go through my coverage team who would have the authority to do so. For example, I doubt the regular CS phone reps have the ability to do stuff like creating new credit accounts without a hard pull even if it was for a JPM PB client.
Old Nov 24, 16, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's highly possible as well. However, if I needed special treatment/handling for something, I'd have to go through my coverage team who would have the authority to do so. For example, I doubt the regular CS phone reps have the ability to do stuff like creating new credit accounts without a hard pull even if it was for a JPM PB client.
The analogy does not stand. Your dedicated coverage team would not extend you more credit without first update your credit worthiness, especially it is for personal usage. Whether your bankers use the more basic method like HP or do a D&B check, does not make any difference in the essence that information needs to be updated, via certain means that are designed to serve the purpose.

My point is, if you have provided more details on your background in relationship to the treatment / services you receive from the beginning, it would help the readers understand that your situation is fairly unique and does not apply to most other folks reading this thread, so there would be less wrong expectation being set.
Old Nov 24, 16, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
Being CPC I dont think that matter. Lending rep did the moving of CL on both our app on the same phone call. All she needed was an authorization that one spouse could speak on behalf of the other spouse - standard procedure.
Just curious, were you above 20/24 like we are when they approved your CSR?
Old Nov 25, 16, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yztim View Post
Just curious, were you above 20/24 like we are when they approved your CSR?
DH was. I was under. The first thing the lending dept rep said was, your app was denied because you had "way too many new accounts in the past 2 years." For whatever reason she counted 2 more of the actual count I myself did. I pleaded each of those cards carry unique benefits that we needed. Since we were CPC would she kindly reconsider? She said if you were not CPC I would have already finished the call.
In any case she could approve on the spot if we only moved CL without asking for new credit - the latter would go up the chain according to her.
After finishing mine, I asked her to look at DH's. He had more new accounts but she did not balk again. Just finished the formality.

Our banker did not do anything after making 2 phone calls right after denials received at the branch immediately after sending in the applications. That is why I suspect your banker does not want to get involved just like ours.
I waited 2 days then called Lending myself. Should have called immediately - because of the delay our cards arrived the afternoon on the day we flew out in the morning on a 35 days trip. I had to SM Chase to freeze the cards when they lied in the waterheater closet outside our Condo unit without any security... Actually UPS dropped them by the door despite I requested them to be delivered to condo's management office. Our neighbor picked them up and put them inside the waterheater closet where they remained until we returned home more than a month later.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 25, 16 at 9:07 am
Old Nov 26, 16, 11:31 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
In the last 2 years I have gotten 2 biz cards (Amex and Citi) and 2 personal. Only one of those personal cards is a Chase card, but since that was just 7 weeks ago will that be a problem? That was for a Marriott card and they gave me a 30k credit line, so my question is am I pushing it to get another card so soon even though I am under the 5/24 or am I worrying about nothing? I would love to get this card.

Also, am I correct to think if my statement closes before the end of the end of this year that I can get the $300 travel credit for 2016 and then again next year before the AF is due? If so, I am thinking if I apply in the next day or two I should still have enough time.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Nov 26, 16 at 12:02 pm
Old Nov 27, 16, 2:34 pm

Just a data point and follow up from earlier post... I got instant approval with an even larger line of credit than they gave me on my other Chase card! So applied today (Nov 27) and got a close date of Dec 23.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Nov 27, 16 at 7:24 pm
Old Nov 28, 16, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go View Post
Just a data point and follow up from earlier post... I got instant approval with an even larger line of credit than they gave me on my other Chase card! So applied today (Nov 27) and got a close date of Dec 23.
Thanks for this data point! Did you apply online or in-branch?
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:58 am

Another data point, applied last night, instant approval online

Next payment due Jan 23, 2017, so close date is assumed to be Dec 26th.
Old Nov 28, 16, 10:01 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I applied on Thanksgiving, application went to 5-10 days, so rejection due to 5/24. Called recon on Friday and asked that they rerun application disregarding an Amex Platinum that I'm an authorized user on which brought me to 4/24. Recon agent said she could either put the application in for banker consideration or remove some credit from my Sapphire Preferred and approve instantly. I told her that I wanted the instant approval and she shuffled things around to give about $5,000 on the Preferred and $10,000 on the Reserve. Asked for expedited shipping and she said it wasn't possible, demand was too high.

Called back on Sunday on a whim and asked for the status of the card shipment. Was told it went out via USPS snail mail, but they would expedite another card. Haven't gotten a MyUPS email about it having shipped yet, fingers crossed it arrives soon as I'm hoping to use it for holiday plane tickets. Any data points on expedited shipping times?
Old Nov 28, 16, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
Thanks for this data point! Did you apply online or in-branch?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: