Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by nzplease

How does this impact my chase to 4K?
It will just count as $0. Best thing to do since you know the refund will come back is to just spend $4k as you normally would ignore your canceled ticket transactions. Pretend they never happened.

Side note: I also canceled a airline ticket within 24 hours, I got charged and the charge was actually posted to the card. The refund came back roughly after 7 business days or so. (this was on a sapphire preferred card)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Skymiles
Thank you!

NZP
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
The people I know using a Cent don't care at all about bonus spend or anything like it. Amex treats them well and they don't even think about looking anywhere else. They also tend to be older (40+).
Centurion users are an odd lot. The people I know who certainly have the income and spending patterns to have one, don't. Even the retired Fortune 500 CEOs I know don't have one. The people I come across who came into money quickly (think celebrities, sports stars) do have them. Just an observation.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by philemer; Sep 25, 2016 at 6:28 pm Reason: rude comment removed
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by KRSW
I could care less what the card looks like; I want to most value from it.
But the metal card cost chase more money to produce... so they spent more money on you for your $450. Hence more value for your $450. You want the metal card!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:25 pm

@RedElmo: Is it value? Not sure what it costs Chase to make, but I've heard just a regular plastic EMV card is ~$2 because of the chip. I'd imagine the CSP-style metal version probably is ~$5-10. I'm guessing about $20 for the Ritz/Palladium-style engraved metal card due to labor.

I don't mind the CSP as it's understated and close enough to the plastic cards that no one notices it. Mine's delaminating around the edges, but so far it's still usable.

I'd rather have the difference in cost in UR points. This is FlyerTalk, after all!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by harleyn
Has anyone obtained the TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit on this card yet? If so, what was your experience? The travel credit posted immediately, but my TSA Pre Check billed almost two weeks ago and I have not seen a credit for this yet.

Appreciate any data points, could not find any on FT.
I did this a few weeks ago - used my CSR to pay for a GE application for my wife. The credit was applied automatically as soon as the charge posted to my account, same as it did for the $300 travel credit. You might want to call Chase, it could be a technical glitch.

Also FYI, I don't know if it's CSR-related, but GE seems to be having a major surge in applications - compared to when I applied last year, processing took much longer and we had a much harder time finding an interview slot (earliest I could get her was two months from now, and that's with three interview locations in the area).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Centurion users are an odd lot. The people I know who certainly have the income and spending patterns to have one, don't. Even the retired Fortune 500 CEOs I know don't have one. The people I come across who came into money quickly (think celebrities, sports stars) do have them. Just an observation.
Or maybe like me they did Amex once, got fed up with mediocre CS and ridiculous rules, and never looked back. Amex might have had cache about 30 years ago before they decided to cut the minimum income requirement to $10k/yr. The only decent Amex product is the SPG card, and that will soon go bye-bye like Costco. But we're OT here...

xxxxxxxxxxx

And yes, for $450 I don't expect cheapo plastique compared to the $95/yr product.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 25, 2016 at 6:29 pm Reason: response to deleted quote removed
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The only decent Amex product is the SPG card, and that will soon go bye-bye like Costco.
It could very well become a Marriott AmEx too. We still don't know what's ultimately going to happen other than the SPG card sticks around for a minimum of two more years.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:13 am

The ridiculously heavy and conspicuous card is one of the reasons I stayed away from the Ritz card. The other was limited benefits:annual fee. I could care less what the card looks like; I want to most value from it.
Emphasis added. A bit contradictory?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by mingw
I posted my data point above. denied because of 5/24 as CPC. even first call they refused to reconsider.
Confused. You did get the card as CPC per your post:

Originally Posted by mingw
data point: CPC is subject to 5/24. I was able to get my CSR as CPC but not after two calls with the banker to get it reconsidered.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Emphasis added. A bit contradictory?
Not a contradiction -- I'm not wanting a card to impress anyone, whereas there are others who do get satisfaction from having a particular card and being able to display it. I'm actually surprised Chase didn't create a buy-up option of being able to get a heavier card, a la Ritz. There are plenty of people who would have ponied up a few $$$ for a heavier card.

As far as the real metal CSR cards go, I actually give Chase some credit for sending out plastic "temporary" CSRs while the metal ones are delayed. I can think of a few other banks who would have just sat on the applications until they had the policy-approved cards ready. Not to mention, what a great PR stunt! A credit card so popular the bank can't produce the cards fast enough!

My Chase banker called me last week to make sure everything was going well with my CSR & Priority Pass. She said they're hoping to be caught up with the metal card backlog by sometime in November.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Not to mention, what a great PR stunt! A credit card so popular the bank can't produce the cards fast enough!
Even Chase couldn't have dreamed they would run out of cards! But, as you pointed out, the shortage has been terrific from a PR perspective. I forwarded that story to a relative who was dilly-dallying on applying and after reading about the shortage, applied for it!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by elkhornne
Seems to be those applying later are getting the metal card quicker?
Sorry 😜
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:03 am

Has anyone received UR credit for purchases made through the Chase Portal with their Reserve cards yet? I've made several purchases through Drugstore.com and RiteAid and I'm not seeing any reward points deposited; it's been a full statement cycle since purchases. It seems to be taking longer than I've experienced with my old CSP and I'm just wondering if this is standard and if anyone else has encountered similar issues?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
But the metal card cost chase more money to produce... so they spent more money on you for your $450. Hence more value for your $450. You want the metal card!
I have 2 AUs on my account and strangely, only one received the metal card. At $150 annually per cardholder, I'm almost inclined to call in and request another metal card for the 2nd AU. Seems only right given the high cost...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.