Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by happyvoid
For option 3 , which did you select : Choose your privacy preferences - You may choose any or all of the following options.

Also, once you did step 1 2 and 3 how long did you wait to apply for csr ?
I chose every option that allows Chase to spam me all day long.

It shows preferences to check if you want to limit your sharing, so I left all those unchecked.

For California residents, it also shows preference to "do not share" certain types of information and I left that unchecked as well.

My approximate timeline was:
Step 1 --> 1-2 days --->
Step 2 and 3 ---> 1-2 weeks (I think optoutprescreen.com says 7-10 business days to complete processing anyway) --->
Step 4 ----> 48 hours (2-3 business days) --->
in-branch preapproval and application complete

Note that I didn't know I was denied when I went to check the pre-approval (and I was instantly approved), although I did get the denial letter a day after getting approved.

If you wanted to be conservative, I'd probably do all of the opt-ins, wait two weeks, apply for the CSR, and then wait for the denial letter and then go in-branch.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by snic
So... for us 5/24's, in order to get a CSR, the trick is to apply for a CSR, get denied, and then Chase realizes its terrible mistake and preapproves you, but only if you apply in-branch...???

I'm trying to figure out why Chase is following this "logic".
Originally Posted by Appleman
I agree it doesn't make much sense, but it probably goes something like this:

Chase wants to target this card at people who spend a lot on their card, who travel, who have credit score above 740, and who have large balances on a competitor's card. With large balances, they are probably indifferent whether you pay it off or run a balance, but they can data mine for that, too.
So after they automatically deny you for 5/24, they have access to your credit file, and can data mine much more specifically for the criteria they are looking for.

The days of growing the market are over, so the play is to shift balances to Chase from competitors.

And even if your large balances are at Chase, this can be a retention strategy for those customers they want to keep.

For customers who frequently hop between cards seeking the best current deal, they want to make double sure that the customer meets their criteria. These customers are unprofitable otherwise.

I would guess that if you don't know to apply in a branch, that soon you would get an offer by mail with the pre-approval. But it could be that by applying in a branch, they have an opportunity to cross-sell you on other products, and that may tip the balance. In addition, their branch bankers are somehow compensated on sales, (see Wells Fargo) so they don't want to discourage bankers from offering the credit card product, because a NO on the credit card would hamper their ability to cross sell additional products, because after being told you are scum, you are in no mood to listen to the next pitch.
Yeah, that could be it in my case. I've had the Citi Prestige for two years and was an Amex Plat cardholder before that. Not sure if they take that into account?

Can credit card issuers see anything beyond statement balances or are balances in the middle of billing periods randomly reported to the credit agencies as well? I generally pay all my cards completely in full before each statement cutoff date (so my statement balances are usually <$100), but I do run very high balances before then due to significant travel spend.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I applied about 2am on 10/25, got the approval and had the card in hand on 10/27 thanks to express delivery although I did not request any sort of expedited handling.

I had applied for and been approved for the CSP back in September right around the time the Reserve went live and I frankly wasn't very optimistic about being approved right away but I was proved wrong. I think I was at 4/24 although it might have been lower - I'm not totally sure on the dates of my previous cards.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Can credit card issuers see anything beyond statement balances or are balances in the middle of billing periods randomly reported to the credit agencies as well? I generally pay all my cards completely in full before each statement cutoff date (so my statement balances are usually <$100), but I do run very high balances before then due to significant travel spend.
In general, most CC issuers report your statement balance every month. You can verify this using CreditKarma or similar. For me, I see this with Capital One, Discover, Chase, and Amex. I don't have any cards with Citi or others...yet.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
(banker said she was preapproved, but after submitting the application, we discovered the banker was wrong and my wife had not been preapproved.
Are you sure banker was wrong? While it probably doesn't happen often, my understanding is it is possible to be 'pre-approved' but still be rejected when applying.

My banker told me pre-approval means he just needs minimal questions - with me as a customer there, at least, all I needed to provide was income and that I approve the pull (IIRC - obviously, they have my SSN).
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Originally Posted by happyvoid
For option 3 , which did you select : Choose your privacy preferences - You may choose any or all of the following options.

Also, once you did step 1 2 and 3 how long did you wait to apply for csr ?
I chose every option that allows Chase to spam me all day long.

It shows preferences to check if you want to limit your sharing, so I left all those unchecked.

For California residents, it also shows preference to "do not share" certain types of information and I left that unchecked as well.

My approximate timeline was:
Step 1 --> 1-2 days --->
Step 2 and 3 ---> 1-2 weeks (I think optoutprescreen.com says 7-10 business days to complete processing anyway) --->
Step 4 ----> 48 hours (2-3 business days) --->
in-branch preapproval and application complete

Note that I didn't know I was denied when I went to check the pre-approval (and I was instantly approved), although I did get the denial letter a day after getting approved.

If you wanted to be conservative, I'd probably do all of the opt-ins, wait two weeks, apply for the CSR, and then wait for the denial letter and then go in-branch.
Thank you for your reply!

I wonder if not selecting the third option "For non affiliates to market to you" will prevent the in-branch pre-approval. I am guessing many people don't want junk mail from non-affiliates, but would that affect CS-R? It shouldn't, but who knows?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are you sure banker was wrong? While it probably doesn't happen often, my understanding is it is possible to be 'pre-approved' but still be rejected when applying.

My banker told me pre-approval means he just needs minimal questions - with me as a customer there, at least, all I needed to provide was income and that I approve the pull (IIRC - obviously, they have my SSN).
The banker either confused "you are invited" with "you are pre-approved" or the banker deliberately lied when the customer was only "invited to apply". I am more inclined to think it is the latter, just like what our banker has done to us when he thought we would surely be approved (nope because we were over 5/24). He felt bad enough later and made us CPC. With that status we were able to do the recon call ourselves and got approvals with shifting CLs.

Being discussed elsewhere on net - A tell tale sign of preapproved in the case of CSR is the APR on the disclosure paper - if it is for preapproved, the APR is a fixed 16.xx%. if it is not preapproved, the APR is a RANGE between 16.xx to 24.xx%. I am fairly sure that is the clue OP uses to find out his wife is not really preapproved per the banker's claim.

OP was smart to see the screen to make sure the status was indeed Preapproved.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
...my understanding is it is possible to be 'pre-approved' but still be rejected when applying.
Sure you can still be denied, but not for 5/24.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA
Was denied for 5/24 about a month ago after in-branch application. Banker fought pretty hard on recon line (I was impressed) but no dice. Since then have started the ball rolling on CPC with that same banker. Two days ago was in the branch for the next CPC signup step and he said a Reserve preapproval had shown up as a result. He said he'd reapply on my behalf the same day. Got an email from him that evening with news of the approval. I asked if he could request they expedite it any faster than usual—he said probably not, as it's already turned around within a few days, but he'd try. Got the card today via UPS Next-Day air, just in time to head to the airport for a trip.

Last edited by chrisremo; Oct 29, 2016 at 1:26 am
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Was denied for 5/24 about a month ago after in-branch approval.
Two days ago was in the branch for the next CPC signup step and he said a Reserve preapproval had shown up as a result. He said he'd reapply on my behalf the same day.
Got the card today via UPS Next-Day...
To be clear, you received TWO in-branch pre-approvals for the CS-R in the last month: the first in-branch app was denied due to 5/24, and another pre-approval showed up within 30 days because you were (only) in the process of acquiring CPC status, to which you applied again and was approved?

Are you 100% certain you had a pre-approval the first time?

I don't see how being in the process of becoming CPC does anything. It's either you are or you aren't. No?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
To be clear, you received TWO in-branch pre-approvals for the CS-R in the last month: the first in-branch app was denied due to 5/24, and another pre-approval showed up within 30 days because you were (only) in the process of acquiring CPC status, to which you applied again and was approved?

Are you 100% certain you had a pre-approval the first time?

I don't see how being in the process of becoming CPC does anything. It's either you are or you aren't. No?
Sorry, my bad. That was just a typo. I meant in-branch application, not approval. I had no preapproval the first time. I applied knowing it was a long shot, as I am well over 5/24.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Sorry, my bad. That was just a typo. I meant in-branch application, not approval. I had no preapproval the first time. I applied knowing it was a long shot, as I am well over 5/24.
Thank you for clarifying. I believe your situation is what many have been saying: a previous application (that's subsequently not approved) could lead to an in-branch pre-approval, which is what happened in your case. I don't believe your attempt to acquire CPC had to do with anything.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
should credit limits be lowered on chase business cards as well? I have a nice heavy $25k CL on ink cash that I like... (i suppose the answer might have to do with my reported income... which isnt terribly high)
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:47 pm

For what its worth, I'm definitely over 5/24, but today I went into a branch and ask for my pre-approvals, Reserve was on there and instantly approved. Banker said the card should be come in 2 days.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:52 pm

Should I call Chase to confirm once I've reached the 4k spend? I assume they won't just tell me..

From what I understand, it's all spending, minus the $450 fee and any refunds/credits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.