Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 3:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 16, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ehuang03 View Post
The $300 won't count towards the minimum spend. I
I thought there were data points that said that it did?
Old Sep 29, 16, 12:29 am

Per today's TPG's video w the Chase VP, she specially said it counted towards the $4k

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I thought there were data points that said that it did?
Old Sep 29, 16, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I just got a UPS My Choice email for a package that's coming from Ann Arbor, MI. That doesn't happen to be the fancy box that some people originally got with their CSRs, is it? Weirdly it's being shipped via UPS Ground instead of Next Day Air.
Mine was delivered second day UPS in a large beige envelope. Postmark Ohio.
Old Sep 29, 16, 9:12 am

Really? I haven't seen the video or the data point. I'd have to check it out. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 16, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by yolandearagon View Post
Mine was delivered second day UPS in a large beige envelope. Postmark Ohio.
My sequence was, roughly:

Early September: applied, received "you'll have to wait for decision" email.
+ 2-2.5 weeks: card shows up on chase.com
+ 1 day: email saying it's approved, card will arrive soon.
+ 2/3 days: card (metal) arrives, UPS second day air envelope. Activated, then called to move part of CSP credit line to CSR and start Priority Pass (which rep said was backed up on the PP end).
+ 5-6 days: get letter in mail saying that to open the card, they'd moved part of my MP credit line to the new card, and that my CSR card would be sent soon.
Old Sep 29, 16, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
So much demand for this card, I sure hope UR points won't devalue fast. Really only those who spend enough should get this card, I have a feeling people sign up just for 100,000 points.
Oh, absolutely.

I canceled my Sapphire Preferred card, waited a couple of weeks, and then got a quick online confirmation for the Reserve card.

The key difference between CitiPrestige and ChaseReserve, for me, is the 4th-night-free benefit and the discounted annual fee for CitiGold members.

This Reserve card will be a 1-year card only....
Old Sep 29, 16, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Plato90s View Post
Oh, absolutely.

I canceled my Sapphire Preferred card, waited a couple of weeks, and then got a quick online confirmation for the Reserve card.

The key difference between CitiPrestige and ChaseReserve, for me, is the 4th-night-free benefit and the discounted annual fee for CitiGold members.

This Reserve card will be a 1-year card only....
Yep! Glad I got the discounted annual fee also for the Prestige. I might hang onto the Reserve. I dine out a lot so the 3x is good for me. I'll probably get rid of my AMEX Plat when the annual fee is due.
Old Sep 29, 16, 12:02 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Originally Posted by jjmiller69 View Post
As far as I know Chase doesn't have a app. In my case I had to call and point it out and get them to get it changed. I had cancelled the AU's 30+ days before I did the app. The only way it might work was you went through a Banker who maybe put a note on it? Good luck enjoy the card I plan on keeping mine for many years.
You might keep the Reserve for many years? While I have several cards that get systematic use, I envision the Reserve, moving forward, to become my go-to card. For me, the question will not be to cancel the Reserve after the first year but which other cards will become unnecessary to keep. Pretty sure the Reserve will stay in my wallet year after year, too. In particular, the $300 travel bennie and the lounge access appeal very much on top of everything else the card offers. (Email arrived informing me of delivery today. Hoping for the metal card right out of the gate.)
Old Sep 29, 16, 12:18 pm

Was approved in branch yesterday after banker told me I was pre-approved. Sitting at 8/24, $24KCL. With just a few CC's at Chase and no other banking relationships I was pretty surprised.

As far as AU's....my spouse is at 3/24 but 8/24 with AU's (I didn't know AU's were part of Chase's rule, my bad for adding him). He applied online, called recon, they asked if he used the cards, he said no my wife wants me on them just in case. They pushed him and asked if a bank account was ever used with his name on it to pay the bills - he said yes and they denied him. Unfortunately there was no way for them to know that our joint checking account paid those accounts but he is honest, what can I say.
Old Sep 29, 16, 2:11 pm

Programs: American, Alaska, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by lizs View Post
Unfortunately there was no way for them to know that our joint checking account paid those accounts but he is honest, what can I say.
Then call back and try again... if chase wants to play that way then you tell them. NOPE he never uses the cards... just got it for the 5000 AU bonus.
Old Sep 29, 16, 2:22 pm

I currently have a CFU and am looking to apply for a CSR. I've been carrying a balance on the CFU (~3k) because I have a 0% APR through mid-next year. I've been making the minimum payment or more since I opened the card and it's in good standing. Will having this balance on this Chase card hurt my chances at getting the CSR? I also have a similar, 0% APR balance on a Cap One card. I could pay it off the CFU in full in a month or so, but I want the 100k sign-up bonus. Is there any wisdom on when folks think that will end (other than eventually)?
Old Sep 29, 16, 2:28 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carolina13 View Post
I currently have a CFU and am looking to apply for a CSR. I've been carrying a balance on the CFU (~3k) because I have a 0% APR through mid-next year. I've been making the minimum payment or more since I opened the card and it's in good standing. Will having this balance on this Chase card hurt my chances at getting the CSR? I also have a similar, 0% APR balance on a Cap One card. I could pay it off the CFU in full in a month or so, but I want the 100k sign-up bonus. Is there any wisdom on when folks think that will end (other than eventually)?
You need to understand your credit score. I would start with CreditKarma, since it's free. That'll help you see whether the two balances are eating up too much of your available credit.

For a good score, less than 30% utilization is the mark to hit. CK has a really good simulator to understand the impact of changes that you might make. Excellent requires less than 10% utilization.
Old Sep 29, 16, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree View Post
You need to understand your credit score. I would start with CreditKarma, since it's free. That'll help you see whether the two balances are eating up too much of your available credit.

For a good score, less than 30% utilization is the mark to hit. CK has a really good simulator to understand the impact of changes that you might make. Excellent requires less than 10% utilization.
I understand my credit score perfectly well and already use Credit Karma. Perhaps you need to understand my question. Including some AU accounts, my overall utilization is around 10%. Utilization or my credit score (mid-700s) is not what I'm worried about. I'm asking if Chase will see me as dangerous for some reason other than my credit score because of carrying a balance vs. paying off in full every month. In other words, do my approval odds for the CSR change if I pay off existing Chase accounts fully before applying?
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carolina13 View Post
I understand my credit score perfectly well and already use Credit Karma. Perhaps you need to understand my question. Including some AU accounts, my overall utilization is around 10%. Utilization or my credit score (mid-700s) is not what I'm worried about. I'm asking if Chase will see me as dangerous for some reason other than my credit score because of carrying a balance vs. paying off in full every month. In other words, do my approval odds for the CSR change if I pay off existing Chase accounts fully before applying?
No, they won't see it as dangerous. If you're around 10% utilization, you have nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:09 pm

You should be good. I was at 20% utilization when I applied.

Last edited by ehuang03; Sep 29, 16 at 3:31 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: