Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Have: 300k Chase UR points. Need: 5 seats NYC-Rome-NYC.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I have 300k chase points. I want to get 5 free tickets from NYC to Rome next summer. What is best option to do this?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Transfer to United. 60K each.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Practically: Praying?

You should review the transfer partners from UR and search for award ticket availability on flights (you will need to split up to get there on the same day) across partners. Direct is also going to be problematic.
Your best bet it to use one of the award booking services as we are not a group of travel agents.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-reviews.html
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I will ask the moderator of this forum to transfer this thread to the Chase forum, which is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rewards-722/

That number of points may be sufficient for five economy class seats, but not for a premium cabin. It may prove difficult to find five award seats on the same flights. Can you split the group 3 + 2 to fly on different flights?

Do you have any other frequent flyer mileage balances?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I don't know the Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer award chart, but it could be better to send the points there than to United. Because UA charges more points for Biz/ First on partner airlines than on its own planes, but I bet Singapore doesn't! Please note that both of these are members of Star Alliance & points on one Star Alliance airline can be used on any combo of their airlines, also incl. Air Canada, Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

OP, when you say you have 300K Chase Points for 5 tickets to Rome, are you looking for one way or RT?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, that's $4500 in value, so you might be able to just buy the tickets using the UR portal (would have $900/ticket). First look at transfer partners, but for that many tickets on a single flight, using points could be tough.

Last edited by mia; Sep 20, 2016 at 7:53 am Reason: Expand abbreviation
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
OP, when you say you have 300K Chase Points for 5 tickets to Rome, are you looking for one way or RT?
Thread title says NYC-Rome-NYC, so I'm assuming RT.

EDIT: And I should never assume, since the thread title was changed by mods. Could be either.

Last edited by pallhedge; Sep 20, 2016 at 8:21 am Reason: Never Assume
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator explanantion

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Thread title says NYC-Rome-NYC, so I'm assuming RT.
I edited the title after the thread was moved from Miles Buzz to Chase. It's a guess.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mia
I edited the title after the thread was moved from Miles Buzz to Chase. It's a guess.
Ah, thanks. Edited my post to avoid confusion.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, that's $4500 in value, so you might be able to just buy the tickets using the UR portal (would have $900/ticket). First look at transfer partners, but for that many tickets on a single flight, using points could be tough.
I did a quick check on United and there were plenty of award saver available next summer for 5 (1 stop). But it would be 300,000 miles + $500 tax and fee. So if OP could find tickets for about $1000 each, it would be the same and he/she will also get miles from the flight.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:13 am

Looks like there are plenty of R/T fares in June for 5 adults on Aeroflot JFK-SVO-FCO for around $3800 total if you don't mind a few hours layover in Moscow. If you have the CSR, that would work out to about 253k UR points, plus you could credit the flights to a SkyTeam partner (e.g. Delta) to earn miles and credit toward elite status.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:07 pm

When are you looking to go? My quick United Search shows a lot of economy available at saver level for that flight. I would probably transfer to United just due to ease.

If you want business level seats you will need more points and probably need to split up
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I booked 5 RT nonstop flights on United from DC. From NY I would have had to do a stop which I don't want to do. I rather drive to DC for a nonstop.

After booking I did discover that I could have transferred the chase points to air france and book a non stop from nyc on delta/allitalia. I am still new at this mileage game so it is a lesson learned on my side. Either way, I am going to Italy for free with my wife and 3 kids!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:40 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Congratulations! That's a great award and it's all the better because it's your first one. Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.