FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 Annual Travel Credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1787630-chase-sapphire-reserve-300-annual-travel-credit.html)

teddy25 Aug 29, 16 8:55 am

Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 Annual Travel Credit
 
Let's list what charges are automatically reimbursed.

United - travel bank
Southwest - refundable ticket

Troopers Aug 29, 16 9:01 am

Prob easier to list what's NOT reimbursed.

der_saeufer Aug 29, 16 12:21 pm


Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 27134521)
Prob easier to list what's NOT reimbursed.

Exactly.

Chase has made every indication that what constitutes "travel" hasn't changed and there's no evidence to the contrary. The list of MCCs is pretty long and seems to include almost everything one could imagine being "travel" (no car stuff except rentals, though)

I suspect a lot of us CSR holders have (or had until recently) a CSP, so it's pretty easy to see what got double points. All airline spend, hotels, rental cars, rail (including CTA/WMATA/etc) fare, etc etc.

The one "non-travel" charge I disagreed with was a hotel in Japan whose MCC must have been something odd. Chase gave me the points no questions asked when I pointed out the business name was XYZ HOTEL ABCVILLE on the statement. Same story with a couple restaurants in Japan and Indonesia that weren't "dining" but I don't bother over 15 points. In 4 years with CSP I never saw a single US or Canadian charge that I thought should've gotten classified as travel but didn't.

Also, I have to ask... is there anyone who intends to use the CSR who's actually worried about not spending $300 on travel in a year (or even between now and December)?

ETA this thread on CS(P) double points for travel: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html

MNSWEEps Aug 29, 16 1:00 pm

I booked a $365 USD tour (paid in NZD) on a New Zealand website last week...and I got the $300 credit immediately the day it posted.

gatzdon Aug 29, 16 1:04 pm

honestly, this thread has more value with the unobvious ideas.

Such as on-line travel agencies that will sell you non-travel gift cards (like gas/dining/etc...)

Everyday stuff you can buy at places categorized as travel (activities/tickets/gift cards that you can buy through a hotel, make sure they are charged to the room or at least the hotel is the merchant).

Does AAA online or in store count as travel?

Like said above, the generic has been covered. What are the useful, but non-obvious buys for someone looking to get the full $300 by November if they don't have any travel planned for the rest of this year.

elg26 Aug 29, 16 1:07 pm


Originally Posted by MNSWEEps (Post 27135809)
I booked a $365 USD tour (paid in NZD) on a New Zealand website last week...and I got the $300 credit immediately the day it posted.

Good to know....Without sounding too nosy, what kind of tour?

I think this thread could become a long standing thread with a WIKI...it could become very valuable on what is accepted and what isn't...

MNSWEEps Aug 29, 16 1:08 pm


Originally Posted by elg26 (Post 27135840)
Good to know....Without sounding too nosy, what kind of tour?

I think this thread could become a long standing thread with a WIKI...it could become very valuable on what is accepted and what isn't...

http://www.greatsights.co.nz/new-zea...ay-of-islands/

daKav Aug 29, 16 2:11 pm


Originally Posted by der_saeufer (Post 27135602)
Exactly.
Also, I have to ask... is there anyone who intends to use the CSR who's actually worried about not spending $300 on travel in a year (or even between now and December)?

LOL. My very first transaction will make sure I get that $300 back ;) (once I get the card delivered that is)

Troopers Aug 29, 16 2:30 pm

Side note, I wish the credit was not automatic. I rather select the credit applied to airfare or lodging, rather than some bucks here and there on toll, parking, uber, etc.

smurov Aug 29, 16 3:00 pm


Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 27136270)
Side note, I wish the credit was not automatic. I rather select the credit applied to airfare or lodging, rather than some bucks here and there on toll, parking, uber, etc.

It's funny cause its the same money at the end of the day, but I agree with your thought on this. If you rack up $300 in ubers and parking before you purchase something like a flight, you don't have that same feeling of the flight being free (or discounted) since you already received your travel credit.

richiezc Aug 29, 16 3:15 pm

anybody try united mileage plus X? i used to buy $200 a year in amazon.com gift cards through them and it was refunded as part of the AMEX Plat $200 travel free credit

here is how it looked on my account before I closed it:
MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-400586762 WWW.UNITED.COM 320160050402161145

smurov Aug 29, 16 3:23 pm


Originally Posted by richiezc (Post 27136542)
anybody try united mileage plus X? i used to buy $200 a year in amazon.com gift cards through them and it was refunded as part of the AMEX Plat $200 travel free credit

here is how it looked on my account before I closed it:
MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-400586762 WWW.UNITED.COM 320160050402161145

Yes, I've tried it at Red Robin already. It coded as Dining.

ncast2523 Aug 29, 16 3:25 pm


Originally Posted by richiezc (Post 27136542)
anybody try united mileage plus X? i used to buy $200 a year in amazon.com gift cards through them and it was refunded as part of the AMEX Plat $200 travel free credit

here is how it looked on my account before I closed it:
MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-400586762 WWW.UNITED.COM 320160050402161145

On my CSP last week it coded as a regular purchase, not travel.

trikotret Aug 29, 16 4:15 pm


Originally Posted by ncast2523 (Post 27136588)
On my CSP last week it coded as a regular purchase, not travel.

Others said AMEX codes it as travel but chase as a regular charge

nall Aug 29, 16 4:47 pm


Originally Posted by richiezc (Post 27136542)
anybody try united mileage plus X? i used to buy $200 a year in amazon.com gift cards through them and it was refunded as part of the AMEX Plat $200 travel free credit

here is how it looked on my account before I closed it:
MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-400586762 WWW.UNITED.COM 320160050402161145

This is a quirk specific to Amex. It does not work on Visa/MC.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:57 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.