Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 Annual Travel Credit (2016 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serpens
Sapphire Reserve Annual Travel Credit

How are the dates calculated?
For cards issued prior to May 21, 2017 it was Reimbursed per Calendar year, not membership year. Purchases must be posted (not pending) by your December statement (dated any time Dec 1 through Dec 31) to be credited against current year's $300 credit. Any travel spend that posts after the December statement will credit against the next year's $300 credit.

For cards issued after May 21, 2017, it will be reimbursed by membership year.

But my 2nd annual fee is after May 21, 2017, why didn't my travel credit reset?
Because if you got your card before that date, your travel credit will continue to reset after your December statement.

Does the travel credit count as minimum spend?
Spend is spend, the credit is the credit. The $300 reimbursement is a separate item from spending requirements( the $300 reimbursement on travel, $100 Goes all count towards the $4,000 only the $450 yearly fee doesn't). You must spend $4000 for your signup bonus UR points. If part of that spend is categorized as travel, a credit will post to your account accordingly. They are separate items.

Even if you return a purchase after you've met your $4000 initial spend it will not count against your spend.

Can I get two travel credit fees if I apply in the middle of the year?
Not for applications after May 21, 2017.

What counts as Travel?
Gas Station and Grocery Store purchases will also count through 12/31/21. (See post 1521.)

The following items have been reimbursed.

Airline purchases, fees & gift cards:
  • AA e-gift certificate
  • Delta eGift Cards, in-flight food/drink purchases
  • UA in-flight bev
  • Moved from EC to EC+ on AA and credit posted 8/2017.
    Southwest gift cards do work! Just purchased a $40 emailed gift card and received the travel credit 3/2018
Hotels:
  • Airbnb & their GC
  • Bellagio Las Vegas -- including restaurant charges signed to room (posted as BELLAGIO - FRONT DESK)
  • hotels.com (NOT hotels.com e-gift cert!)
  • Hotel restaurants not charged to room (verified at Renaissance LV)
  • Marriott GC and hotel charges
  • Priceline "opaque" hotel purchases
  • Kruger National Park lodging reservation (booked on sanparks.org official site)
  • Hilton Home2 Suites
Transit, including parking, trains, ferries, toll roads, etc:
  • taxi fares: Uber, Lyft, Gett, Way2Ride, London taxi, RideAustin
  • Transit fees: BART, MTA, FastTrac, MetroCard, DC Metro (WMATA) SmarTrip farecard and commemorative cards, NJ Transit, Oyster card, Ventra (Chicago), Las Vegas Monorail,Short term parking at LAS, London, STIB/MIVB (Brussels), UTA (Salt Lake City), TriMet (Portland, OR)
  • Parking meters: Chicago; Portland, OR; San Francisco; Atlantic City; Seattle; Minneapolis; Raleigh; San Diego
  • Public parking garages: San Francisco; Montgomery Co. MD; Saint Paul; UC San Diego
  • Toll passes: E-Z Pass (MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA), Sunpass prepaid tolls, Washington State GoodToGo tolls, RiverLink tolls, TxTag, IPass (Illinois), Houston EZ-Tag
  • Train tickets: trainline (UK train tickets), Eurostar.com, Bahn.com (when using Paypal), Amtrak (cafe car purchases as well as tickets purchased from kiosks or the website), italirail.com, Train and bus travel in Scotland at ticket counter, SNCB/NMBS (Belgium--app or counter; chip-and-sign cards don't work in ticket machines), Euroshuttle (car train under the English Channel)
  • Ferries: Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE
  • Shuttles: Jackson Hole WY Airport official shuttle to town
  • Unlimted JR Pass for Japan purchased from japan-rail-pass.com
  • Bikeshare membership/usage fees in Washington, DC
  • Parking apps: ParkWhiz, SpotHero, ParkMobile
  • Presidential Limousine service in Las Vegas
Misc:
  • Costco Travel
  • Disney theme park tickets physically purchased at Disney gate See post #1203
  • Disney Vacation account funding
  • Royal Caribbean drink package
  • Cruise bookings
  • Cruise Excursions Booked Prior to Cruise (and fully refundable)
  • MIR Travel Agency
  • ChargePoint for Electric Vehicle Charging
  • MileagePlusX Uber GC
  • undercovertourist.com
  • Rental cars (verified Avis on page 7 of this thread)
  • Lahaina Cruise Co. (Hawaii Ocean Project whale watch cruise)
  • Interval International Exchange Fee + Upgrade Fee
  • Aircraft title transfer registration fees with ICAO's International Registry of Mobile Assets (Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol)
  • Cooking class/experience booked through Viator

What doesn't count as travel?
Here's a thread dedicated to the topic: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rrect-mcc.html

The following items have NOT posted as travel/been reimbursed:
  • e-gift card from Airline, except Delta Please list specifics.
  • AA in-flight food
  • AAA membership
  • Alaska Airlines: e-gift cards; in-flight food; Board Room membership (post 1152)
  • Blink Charging (EV charging network): shows up as Bills & Utilities
  • CLEAR -- annual membership fee and pro-rated $50 fee for adding a family member
  • Points.com (Southwest)
  • Not all parking meters - Michigan State University (MSU Police Dept. 1x), Phoenix
  • Parking citation payment (SF MTA)
  • Hotel parking fees (e.g. Fairmont SF)
  • Walt Disney tickets directly from Disney.com
  • Vacation Rental by Owner/HomeAway
  • Airport landing, parking and ground handling fees for private jets
  • EZ-Tag (Houston, TX) now DOES count per post 1109
  • Georgia Peach Pass
  • Hotels.com e-gift card
  • Hyatt e-gift card
  • Hyatt physical G.C. from Hyatt.com (coded as Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction or Card, Gift Novelty and Souvenir Stores) No manual adjustment.
  • IHG Ambassador recognition program
  • Southwest Airlines in-flight purchases
  • Southwest Airlines Wi-Fi purchase ("Bills & utilities" in Chase online banking)
  • Prince Resorts Hawaii Gift Card (Prince Hotel Waikiki, Mauna Kea Hotel, Hapuna Beach Hotel)
  • Meal at Fairmont Hotel not charged to room
  • Choice hotel Points + Cash reservation
  • Delta in-flight Wi-Fi purchased through app
  • MPX Amazon.Com
  • Not all public transit: Lisbon metro
  • Travel Insurance (Allianz)
Unclear/mixed results:
  • UA wifi purchased in-flight (no, yes)
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 Annual Travel Credit (2016 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
The main thing is to know so you can use the Freedom Unlimited card for the charge if it is not going to be coded as travel.
This.

Is there some simple way to check before making a charge? The tedious Merchant Category Code lookup site was so often missing the merchant that I wanted to check that I gave up.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
The main thing is to know so you can use the Freedom Unlimited card for the charge if it is not going to be coded as travel. I think the majority of us who get the CSR go way over $300 in spend for travel each year. The key is to maximize the earning to me.
Right. Hence the suggestion of a test charge so you will KNOW for sure whether it works or not.

Originally Posted by serpens
This.

Is there some simple way to check before making a charge? The tedious Merchant Category Code lookup site was so often missing the merchant that I wanted to check that I gave up.
The problem is, not every merchant you may use would be listed on the site, plus the merchant CAN and often CHANGE its code. This happens a lot with independent retailers. They may opt to change to a different code so to save on transaction costs. Case in point, when AMEX Small Business Saturday was in full swing a few years ago, quite a bit of us found out our independent grocers or restaurants no longer bill us in their own name, but used ADP or First Data as the billing party instead. Needless to say, those charges did not earn any Small Business credits because the process codes were used and the processors are multi-billions companies. Reason for such switch - the real merchants may have a lower fee in processing their transactions using the Processor as the consolidator versus their own code.
That is why if something is at stake, it is much advisable to make a TEST transaction. Just like I have no idea whether WalMart Neighborhood store would count for Freedom 4th Qtr 5x when it only mentioned WalMart. So I did a $1 transaction to find out.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
Any recent data points of sanparks.org (South African National Parks) charge for Kruger National Park lodging reimbursed? Thanks
I booked a cabin thru SANPark at Storm River Rest Camp in July. It was coded 3x. Therefore it is eligible for reimbursement though we have already used up all ours before that. I assume it would be the same for Kruger.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
That is why if something is at stake, it is much advisable to make a TEST transaction. Just like I have no idea whether WalMart Neighborhood store would count for Freedom 4th Qtr 5x when it only mentioned WalMart. So I did a $1 transaction to find out.
That is not always feasible, particularly while traveling. Will a military hotel code as lodging or government service? Will a vacation home rental code as lodging or something else? Will a grocery store in a national park and run by the concessionaire code as travel, grocery, or something else? The front line staff will have no idea, and even the most senior person at the grocery store was flummoxed by the question.

Did WalMart Neighborhood count as WalMart?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is not always feasible, particularly while traveling. Will a military hotel code as lodging or government service? Will a vacation home rental code as lodging or something else? Will a grocery store in a national park and run by the concessionaire code as travel, grocery, or something else? The front line staff will have no idea, and even the most senior person at the grocery store was flummoxed by the question.
Of course test is not fool proof. In situations listed above, you would just have to accept what it is. Chase is not going to budge if those not coded as you hope for.

that is also why 2RETIREDTRAVELERS asked if anyone has experiences in booking camps at SanParks.

So you ask around on the net, if someone happens to know and reply, that is good. If not, you just have to take what it is. You can make endless calls and you will still not be able to find out. Besides, just how much $$$$$ we are talking about? Seriously?

Did WalMart Neighborhood count as WalMart?
It showed as WalMart neighborhood store but still earned 5x.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

So you ask around on the net, if someone happens to know and reply, that is good. If not, you just have to take what it is. You can make endless calls and you will still not be able to find out. Besides, just how much $$$$$ we are talking about? Seriously?
The vacation homes place was by far the most, at just over $2,000.

Since Chase presents travel rewards as a benefit of the Sapphire Reserve, it would be nice if the $450 per year card provided some method of checking in advance how a purchase would code. You're right that the 4,000 extra UR points ($60 value if redeemed at the UR portal) for my vacation lodging isn't worth a lot of anguish. But I would like Chase to step up rather than leave the customer guessing. The information exists. Chase could provide a tool to access the information.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since Chase presents travel rewards as a benefit of the Sapphire Reserve, it would be nice if the $450 per year card provided some method of checking in advance how a purchase would code. You're right that the 4,000 extra UR points ($60 value if redeemed at the UR portal) for my vacation lodging isn't worth a lot of anguish. But I would like Chase to step up rather than leave the customer guessing. The information exists. Chase could provide a tool to access the information.
Just HOW Chase can step up? sort of doing a manual adjustment for you when it does not show up as a travel provider? Just how many accommodation Chase has to do if it does it for you, then for another customer, another customer, so on so forth? I dont know if you are having too high an expectation or being unrealistic or being naive - may be a combination of all such.

It all depends on HOW the provider of services define what their business is. Chase has clearly stated in the T&Cs it is up to the merchants to present themselves via the merchant codes they used. No, Chase can NOT provide a tool to check this because Chase has NO IDEA how the merchant would code itself UNTIL the transaction has occurred. I dont think you really understand the matter. This is not something like each merchant has the obligation to inform the bank what code they are using and then the bank has a dept to enter this information into some kind of table then comparing the charges.... No bank would EVER do such a thing.

This is how it works for ANY banks that provide Travel bonus. If you dont like the way how Chase handles it, then dont use Chase cards. Use other cards that also provide similar benefits. FYI, Capital One would manually adjust it if, so as Barclays which would "escalate" the case to another dept to investigate. I once was able to get Barclays approved redemption on a $450 Chinese Visa application cost using a sanctioned visa service company (had to because otherwise we needed to personally show up at the Chinese consulate in Houston which governs 7 South East states in US), despite it was a personal service by any definition. Took 3 phone calls though to get passed the front line reps and talked to the reward dept. So if you feel Chase let you down, use other cards for your vacation rental when other banks are more willing to do manual adjustment.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 25, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

There is a tool that exists to research VISA merchant codes. It's linked in this thread a couple of times. So, yes, you are correct - the information exists.
jjmiller69 likes this.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Nov 25, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:35 am

Does Chase know the merchant code based on an authorization? Can the reps access the info and tell you?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just HOW Chase can step up? sort of doing a manual adjustment for you when it does not show up as a travel provider? Just how many accommodation Chase has to do if it does it for you, then for another customer, another customer, so on so forth? I dont know if you are having too high an expectation or being unrealistic or being naive - may be a combination of all such.
How can Chase step up? By providing a functional replacement for the Merchant Category Code lookup tool. I said that in the message you quoted: "Chase could provide a tool to access the information." As I said earlier, the tool that is available is missing information—or at least does not present the information that it has.

What did i say that misled you into believing I wanted a manual adjustment after the fact?

If a merchant category changes between the time I check and the time I charge, well, that is a shame. You would almost certainly know more about it than I would, but I hadn't expected the code to change much. However, the code is known and my request is that Chase make the information available before my transaction rather than after.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can Chase step up? By providing a functional replacement for the Merchant Category Code lookup tool. I said that in the message you quoted: "Chase could provide a tool to access the information." As I said earlier, the tool that is available is missing information—or at least does not present the information that it has.

What did i say that misled you into believing I wanted a manual adjustment after the fact?

If a merchant category changes between the time I check and the time I charge, well, that is a shame. You would almost certainly know more about it than I would, but I hadn't expected the code to change much. However, the code is known and my request is that Chase make the information available before my transaction rather than after.
As the example cited about how some independent grocers and restaurants changed their merchant codes to the one belongs to their processors such as ADP and First Data, hence none of the spend at those True Small Businesses earn the AMEX Small Business Saturday offers because, the AMEX offer T&Cs clearly stated AMEX has no responsibility on what codes the merchants use. If they do not use the "right" codes for whatever reasons, ther cardholders therefore do not earn the credit from Small Business Saturday, well, too bad.

Even Visa would not have the most updated, real-time, codes the merchants are using at the time you put on your charges. Hence your expectation is unrealistic that Chase should know about any up to the minute changes on how a merchant handles its billing process mechanism. No bank would be able to do that.
Therefore, the only remedy is a manual adjustment. Chase actually has done that, at least several years ago. It would say that was a one-time courtesy but reiterated that Chase has NO control on how the merchants classify themselves. In recent years, Chase simply quit doing manual courtesy adjustment altogether. It is a business decision and a decision that actually makes sense albeit you may not agree.
As I said, Capital One's Venture card and Barclays A+ card would still accommodate manual adjustment IF you can convince their reward dept. So vote with your pocket - dont give business to Chase. No more "Chase should do this, Chase should do that." as Chase would never do what you feel should be done. Quit using its card. No more anguish.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Even Visa would not have the most updated, real-time, codes the merchants are using at the time you put on your charges.
I'm sorry I'm having such difficulty making myself clear. I'm asking to have simple, real-time access to the code the merchant is using at the time I check. Of course the code could change. We seem to have different opinions about how often it changes, and I already said you almost certainly know more about that than i do.

I'm mystified by your assertion that Visa would not have the code, unless you mean that Visa applies the code in effect at the time the charge posts rather than at the time the purchase is made. But even if Visa doesn't have the code, someone does. Someone provides it to Chase. And Chase could provide it to its customers.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:11 am

You do realize that each property transmits its charge individually, there is no central system to send guest transaction information to their cards one day after check out nor it is an requirement. How long a transaction would post a lot of time depends on HOW MUCH the merchant is willing to pay for the processing speed. The higher the fee, the quicker the transaction would post and the merchant gets the money. It is a cash flow issue versus a cost issue. Cutting it so close to your statement closing date, you have no one but yourself to blame. Chase has no responsibility to cut you a slack and manually gives you a credit.

Be realistic. You are no more than just a number to Chase among many many many numbers (customers). The customer service rep has absolutely NO POWER to offer you anything if the system does not show anything, or the dept has power on such thing has not approved anything as you have been long informed at the time of escalation.

While it is true that you have no control on when the charge is posted to your account, you still have the responsibility to account for a reasonable time lag between charge and posting. Everyone owns a credit card knows a lot of charges dont post the next day or the next 2 to 3 days. In AMEX Offer T&Cs AMEX specifically points out that it is up to the merchant to bill a charge which if it is later than the offer validity, then Too Bad, AMEX is thoughtful enough to remind cardholder of such common sense.

If you dont like how Chase treats you, take your business elsewhere. Pretty sure Chase would not even say a goodbye.
Sometimes tone can not be detected in an e-mail. For one, I posted this as a point of information, not a compliant. Lesson learned - read the fine print, i.e. transaction date vs. post date. You seem to imply that I shouldn't have challenged it. Why not? It was worth a try.

For two, I was just pointing out that most credit card companies will do something to retain a customer with a good credit rating. Adding on to the WSJ July article regarding CSR retention, I would have expected more of an effort on the representative's part. I attempted to cancel a card with a different bank two weeks ago, and that bank made me an offer that enticed me to retain the card for at least another year (and the offer increased as I continued to resist).

I am currently evaluating whether or not to retain the CSR card, by looking at my business and personal travel plans for 2018.

If I finally decide to cancel, I'll let folks know what was offered, if anything.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
My interpretation of what's been said recently, is that Chase cannot 100% predict how the next transaction from a particular merchant will be coded. They do know how the most recent transaction was coded, however.

So, it seems they could certainly build a system that lets you look up this info. There's still a problem in that we, the consumers, don't necessarily how a transaction will post -- you might be buying from XYZ company but they actually process the transactions through some other business unit that, if you wanted to look it up, you would actually look up ABC.

So if you're Chase, you have to:

- pay programmers to write this lookup tool instead of some other feature
- hire/train staff to handle service calls when a customer wants to know why they looked up XYZ but it posted as ABC

balanced against, what incremental revenue will implementing this feature bring in vs. what customers will be lost if you don't.

From my point of view, I don't see a compelling business case for this. And people sweating to hit the $300 annual travel bonus are probably not high value customers they'll be sorry to see go.
Happy and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I booked a cabin thru SANPark at Storm River Rest Camp in July. It was coded 3x. Therefore it is eligible for reimbursement though we have already used up all ours before that. I assume it would be the same for Kruger.
My Kruger National Park lodging (and some rest camp activities) booked through SANParks website was credited at 3x earlier this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.