Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

2 missing basic card features could crown Chase "king" of card issuers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 missing basic card features could crown Chase "king" of card issuers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Two missing basic card features could crown Chase "KING" of card issuers

Chase credit card have great features but lack 2 major features that other cards offer. These features are:

1) Extended warranty of an "additional" 24 months provided by Citi (Citibank) card [In comparison, Chase only offers an additional 12 months]

2) ShopRunner Benefit (that is free 2-day shipping at over 140 retailer online sites, a benefit provided by AMEX cards.)

If Chase offers these benefits, it would be superior to Citi and Amex in terms of overall benefits, and the the Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve cards would become true Kings of their class.

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Aug 27, 2016 at 11:40 am
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:07 pm

Why cannot Chase also issue credit card chip with PIN ( and not signature)? I can then use it abroad where its mostly chip + pin. Even my local CU provides a CC which has the PIN feature.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:18 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I definitely don't see shoprunner as a must have feature...I've maybe gotten $20 in value out of it in the entire time that Amex has partnered with them? Plus it doesn't require that you use an Amex card for purchases, so unless you aren't going to hold any Amex cards it doesn't really matter if another bank offers it
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Why cannot Chase also issue credit card chip with PIN ( and not signature)? I can then use it abroad where its mostly chip + pin. Even my local CU provides a CC which has the PIN feature.
You do know chip and signature still works right? I lived in Europe for 5 years using just the old magnetic strip cards while everyone else in Europe was using chip + pin.
With chip + sig you can still swipe and sign or insert and bypass pin...they'll either print a receipt to sign or it will approve the transaction without a signature.
Though I get your point, why can't there just be one standard? Europe has been using and proven chip + pin tech well before the US even adopted chip cards, why did we have to be different?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase has more work to do. Here are some changes I would want to see before the coronation:

• Issue cards with contactless payment.
  • Allow transfer to airline and hotel partners with a free card.
  • Allow users to manage personal and business cards on the same login without asking customer service.
  • Allow personal cardholders to request Authorized User cards with a different number.
  • Use their influence with VISA to make foreign transaction rates more competitive.
  • Abandon the pretext that all partner points are of equal value and improve the transfer ratio from Ultimate Rewards to IHG and Marriott.

Originally Posted by tonei
I definitely don't see shoprunner as a must have feature...
Agreed. To my knowledge the only place I have used it is drugstore.com, and it wasn't noticeably faster than their regular delivery service -and- they are going out of business at the end of September.

Last edited by mia; Aug 27, 2016 at 5:33 pm Reason: Add one item to list.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
mia's list is good. I agree that Shoprunner isn't a huge benefit, at least to me. I've never used in years of having it on my cards.

I'd have liked to see Chase add United Club access with the CSR as opposed to Priority Pass. That would put the benefits similar to Amex and Citi (for 11 more months) where you get same day access to their main airline partner's lounges.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JMWEEZ
You do know chip and signature still works right? I lived in Europe for 5 years using just the old magnetic strip cards while everyone else in Europe was using chip + pin.
With chip + sig you can still swipe and sign or insert and bypass pin...they'll either print a receipt to sign or it will approve the transaction without a signature.
I think he meant for ticket machines. There are still a fair number of those where chip and signature won't work, even though Visa rules prohibit that practice.

In any case, I doubt Chase will do that for a long time. Or at all, really. I actually have a chip and PIN card issued in the US and I find that most large retailers in the US simply aren't bothering to ask for it unless the purchase is >$50. Why implement something that'll only be used for 20% of purchases (if that) and likely won't save them any money?

Oh, and the card's gotten rejected by smaller businesses multiple times too because they had no ability (or desire) to let me enter the PIN. Needless to say I don't use that card much in the US anymore.

Originally Posted by mia
Chase has more work to do. Here are some changes I would want to see before the coronation:

• Issue cards with contactless payment.
  • Allow transfer to airline and hotel partners with a free card.
  • Allow users to manage personal and business cards on the same login without asking customer service.
  • Allow personal cardholders to request Authorized User cards with a different number.
  • Use their influence with VISA to make foreign transaction rates more competitive.
  • Abandon the pretext that all partner points are of equal value and improve the transfer ratio from Ultimate Rewards to IHG and Marriott.
I highly doubt contactless will ever truly be a thing outside of Apple/Android Pay for a very long time, if ever. Chase seemingly went all-in on the metal card thing for the premium cards, which makes contactless pretty much impossible. (Not to mention that a significant number of people in the US are still wary of contactless cards, meaning that the few issuers that offer it now have to do it on an opt-in basis instead of opt-out as in other countries--or do like what Citi did with Costco and simply don't mention the feature at all in their literature.)

Even retailer support is proving to be a lot more difficult than Apple probably anticipated. I wouldn't be surprised if that played into Chase's decision to support Samsung Pay long before supporting Android Pay.

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed. To my knowledge the only place I have used it is drugstore.com, and it wasn't noticeably faster than their regular delivery service -and- they are going out of business at the end of September.
I think Newegg used it too before they came out with their own service. Don't know if they still do.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:37 pm

Great list posted by Mia! My number one want on that list would be unique account numbers for authorized users.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
I'd also love Virtual Account Numbers. One of the best features on my Citi cards.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonei
I definitely don't see shoprunner as a must have feature...I've maybe gotten $20 in value out of it in the entire time that Amex has partnered with them? Plus it doesn't require that you use an Amex card for purchases, so unless you aren't going to hold any Amex cards it doesn't really matter if another bank offers it
The AMEX gives you ShopRunner for free (although you may purchase at the retailer with any card); if you don't have an AMEX, ShopRunner is a $79 annual fee. I have used ShopRunner for 2 day shipping at ToysRUs, Adidas, American eagle outfitters, bon ton, Calvin Klein, ebags, Eddie Bauer, online shoes, Ralph Lauren, reebok, speedo, and Tommy Hilfiger. You can find the complete list of retailers at this link:

https://www.shoprunner.com/stores/

So it is a great benefit in my opinion.

Separately, I put all my purchases of electronics on my Citi card for Citi's "extra" 2-year warranty over and above the manufacturer warranty so for me, Chase matching Citi "+24 warranty" is probably what I need to get rid of my Citi card and consolidate purchases on my Chase card. Likewise, I would dump by Amex card, if Chase offers ShopRunner.

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Aug 27, 2016 at 10:38 pm
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by mia

Would love to see this but it will never happen because it cannibalizes it's co-branded cards with these hotels. AMEX does the same by massively devaluing transfers to SPG. I will just be happy if they don't devalue transfers to Hyatt in the future seeing as that's a co-branded card too. I just made a transfer for 2.3 cpp for an ordinary stay. Very happy about that.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. The Slate card was contact free. Hardly anyone used it, so I hear the never ones are not contactless.

2. As stated above, you can get Shoprunner from Amex and then pay using any card, so if you have a Blue or an Everyday for example, you still get it for free. I should add that hardly anyone pays $79 for Shoprunner, and I know from someone that I know in the industry that only something like 8% of their subscribers pay anything, let alone $79, as its an Alibaba loss leader to try and gain a foothold in the US.

3. I use my Chase cards abroad all the time, and while (like the vast majority of US issued cards from all banks) there is no PIN, there is signature, and I have yet to have a problem with it yet.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hfly
1. The Slate card was contact free. Hardly anyone used it, so I hear the never ones are not contactless.
Supposedly the Freedom came with it too, but my card never had it. I wasn't even aware it was an option until they sent a letter with my new chip card saying that it was discontinued due to "lack of use".

Of course, it basically being opt-in kinda points in the direction of "people will not take this well otherwise".
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:46 am

Chase has some great cards, and it's tempting to switch to UR as an ecosystem. This is what prevents me from dropping my citi cards -

- Citi's +2 year warranty (up to 7 years total) is a great benefit.
- Citi also has superior travel delay, baggage delay, etc insurance.
- Citi's price rewind is amazing (this alone saves me $1k+/yr).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brajalle
Chase has some great cards, and it's tempting to switch to UR as an ecosystem. This is what prevents me from dropping my citi cards -

- Citi's +2 year warranty (up to 7 years total) is a great benefit.
- Citi also has superior travel delay, baggage delay, etc insurance.
- Citi's price rewind is amazing (this alone saves me $1k+/yr).
In what way is Citi's travel delay, trip delay and baggage insurance superior? Are you comparing it to the chase Freedom or Chase Sapphire?

Chase also has "price protection" on the Freedom and Sapphire (I have the Visa Signature versions on the card), but it don't have a fancy name for it like Citi (i.e., "Price Rewind"). I believe Price Protection is a VISA benefit available to card issuers but Citi was very clever to give it a fancy name and better market it. So, it is not an exclusive Citi benefit.

Of the 3 items on your list, only the first item makes Citi unique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.