Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I didn't use any such words...
My mistake. It was a different user prior to your comment.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by pallhedge
My mistake. It was a different user prior to your comment.
No worries.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: TK E+
When about to move points between cards I now get a new message: "Points moved to other cards are final. Your points will be moved instantly and cannot be credited back once moved in this session."

Does that mean I can only move them back to the source card in a new "session"? Or can they never be moved back?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by bamba70
When about to move points between cards I now get a new message: "Points moved to other cards are final. Your points will be moved instantly and cannot be credited back once moved in this session."

Does that mean I can only move them back to the source card in a new "session"? Or can they never be moved back?
You can move them back in the future if needed.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Membership Rewards, Chase
Not sure if someone already posted this question. I am having trouble transferring points from Preferred to Reserve. The agent told me it could be there is already a card that transfers to my Reserve account, I used to be able to transfer between my personal and business Chase cards with no issue. Are they limiting transfers between cards now? I am aware of the same household rule. The transfer I am trying to make is within the same household/billing address, but different last names.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:44 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ynif209
....from Preferred to Reserve. ...

1. Sapphire Preferred or INK Preferred?

2. Have points from the Preferred card previously been combined with any -other- card? You can only Combine with ONE other member of your household.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:36 pm

I recently got the Prime Rewards Visa. Previously I had a CSP + United Explorer, which I combined sign up offers on through ultimate rewards for some 1st class tickets.

Can Prime Rewards be used in this way, similar to the Chase Freedom? I saw mention of "travel" being a redemption offer.

Is this still a good path? I mostly fly American, not United nowadays. I was thinking of just using the Prime Rewards for dining, Amazon, and Whole Foods and then getting a different card. (I've been trying my hand at poker and doing fairly well, so considering a Southwest card since they have ample direct flights to LAS, and my big expense on poker trips is airfare - I've found good deals on lodging and food)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:03 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by Castoreum
I recently got the Prime Rewards Visa. ....
If you are referring to a Amazon co-branded card, it has a completely separate rewards program that cannot be combined with Ultimate Rewards.

Discussion here:

Chase Officially Announces Amazon Prime 5% Cash Back card
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:49 am

Thanks for the link, sorry to clog your thread.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ynif209
Not sure if someone already posted this question. I am having trouble transferring points from Preferred to Reserve. The agent told me it could be there is already a card that transfers to my Reserve account, I used to be able to transfer between my personal and business Chase cards with no issue. Are they limiting transfers between cards now? I am aware of the same household rule. The transfer I am trying to make is within the same household/billing address, but different last names.
I was told today by a Chase CSR that I can transfer points to my Sapphire Reserve card from only one other card per year. My attempt to transfer points from my spouse's Preferred card was denied because I had previously transferred from my Freedom card earlier this year.

I was not previously aware of this rule. I can't find this rule in Chase's FAQ's, and I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the blogs. Is this a new development?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:08 am
mia

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
.... Is this a new development?
IF it is true it is new, but it may be that the agent has confused with the rule which does limit Transfers to Authorized User's airline or hotel accounts to one AU per year.

I would call again. Note that Chase does not use the term Transfer when moving points between UR accounts. This is called Combining, and there are periodic technical problems which agents will try to explain by inventing a plausible rule.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mia
IF it is true it is new, but it may be that the agent has confused with the rule which does limit Transfers to Authorized User's airline or hotel accounts to one AU per year.

I would call again. Note that Chase does not use the term Transfer when moving points between UR accounts. This is called Combining, and there are periodic technical problems which agents will try to explain by inventing a plausible rule.
I have tried to do an on-line "combine my points" many times over the past week, always getting the "ineligible card" message. I called on Saturday, and the agent could not explain the denial. They said that they would investigate and respond withing three days. So I called today, and the CSR said that the investigation had been completed, and that my Reserve card could receive points from only one other card per year.

I am aware of the technical difference between "Combine" and "Transfer" in the UR program. I used the term "transfer" only because I was responding to a question in an earlier post, which had used the term "transfer." That is not the cause of my problem.

So is this a new rule?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:50 am
mia

So is this a new rule?
I should be able to form an opinion tomorrow morning. Our cards all close on the 3rd, and I consolidate points on the 4th.

For posterity, here is the rule that I see today. There is a one person rule, but not a one-card rule, unless they are counting combining with yourself as "one member of your household":

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Last edited by mia; Jul 3, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
... the CSR said that ... my Reserve card could receive points from only one other card per year.
Im not aware that Chase puts a limitation on receiving, unlike sending.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told today by a Chase CSR that I can transfer points to my Sapphire Reserve card from only one other card per year. My attempt to transfer points from my spouse's Preferred card was denied because I had previously transferred from my Freedom card earlier this year.

I was not previously aware of this rule. I can't find this rule in Chase's FAQ's, and I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the blogs. Is this a new development?
Did you directly make the transfer from your spouse's Preferred card (Sapphire or Ink?) to your CSR?

I tend to combine all my pts except Ink Plus which I keep the balance in case we need to transfer to partners, into my Freedom of which my husband is an AU. Then a day or two later I combine my Freedom into his own Freedom, eventually move to his CSR which balance we use to book travel. Just did the last step of this exercise after reading your post - no error message, thankfully.

I understand this is a multi-steps work but it intuitively seems to me that would be better than combining MULTIPLE cards pts into his CSR, which I never try that way.

Would be interesting to see mia's data point tomorrow.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 3, 2019 at 10:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.