Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Old May 14, 2018, 11:47 am

Combine UR points downsides?

Here's the quick question: Any reason to wait on combining UR points from Chase Freedom to CSR?

For a little background, I'm just starting to transition from a cash-back approach to a travel rewards one. I have nearly 100,000 UR on my Chase Freedom card. I was just approved for the CSR. There doesn't seem to be any downside, but I just wanted a quick reality check.

My wife also has a lot of UR points from her Freedom card. Any downsides to transferring hers to my CSR? Or should she get the CSR/CSP and keep he points? What are the pros/cons of combining to 1 account or keeping separate?

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2018, 3:27 pm

My parent, who as far as Chase is concerned has the same address as I do, offered to transfer URs from their Freedom card to my newly opened CSP. Would a transfer like this be in line with the rules? It sounds fine to me, but I figured I'd ask around before I get someone else's account closed.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:34 pm

I combine them as soon as possible worrying that maybe one day they won't let me move my cash back to miles. I don't think right now there is a downside because you can move them back and forth
Old May 14, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jeffstified
Here's the quick question: Any reason to wait on combining UR points from Chase Freedom to CSR?

For a little background, I'm just starting to transition from a cash-back approach to a travel rewards one. I have nearly 100,000 UR on my Chase Freedom card. I was just approved for the CSR. There doesn't seem to be any downside, but I just wanted a quick reality check.

My wife also has a lot of UR points from her Freedom card. Any downsides to transferring hers to my CSR? Or should she get the CSR/CSP and keep he points? What are the pros/cons of combining to 1 account or keeping separate?

Thanks!
UR pts are worth more when added to CSR acct. No downside.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I tried transferring points from my Chase Business Ink to my father's Chase Sapphire Reserve but there would always be error "This card is not eligible to receive points from you at this time." Anyone know what might be causing it? We live in the same household
It is because I already have the same account number saved on my mother's Chase business ink? Can we use the same csr on multple ur accounts
Old May 19, 2018, 10:09 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by happyvoid
It is because ...
When you open the Combine Points screen it displays this:

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Hi Mia,
I know but since me and my mother all live in the same household and I have multiple Chase cards couldn't I transfer all the UR points to her reserve since her reserve have 1.5 redemption vs 1.25? I never transfer points before this is my first time attempting to transfer to her
Old May 20, 2018, 4:45 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

As far as I know the "one" restriction applies to the Sending account, not the Receiving account, but I have no direct experience.

You may wish to also look at this thread:

Problems Combining UR points between accounts

If you contact Chase for support be sure to use the term "combine" NOT "transfer". Have the written rules available during the discussion, because Chase agents may tell you that what you are trying to do is not permitted, even when it is. Make them tell you word-for-word the rule they are using and specifically where it is published.
RNE likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I tried transferring points from my Chase Business Ink to my father's Chase Sapphire Reserve but there would always be error "This card is not eligible to receive points from you at this time." Anyone know what might be causing it? We live in the same household
It is because I already have the same account number saved on my mother's Chase business ink? Can we use the same csr on multple ur accounts
Combine your points onto your mother's Ink. From there, combine all points onto your father's CSR.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Ran into a problem today when trying to add my wife's Ink Plus account as a transfer-to card for my Freedom card: message to the effect that "This card is not eligible at this time" or some such. That's different from the common "unexpected error" message when trying to add a new transfer-to card less than 24 hours after deleting the previous one.

I've made this same transfer plenty of times in recent years with no trouble--in fact, did a small one a week ago. (Can't recall if I deleted the association after the transfer or left it in place; certainly wasn't there today.) Double-checked that there are no other associations in either direction to/from the Ink+.

I did turn up sporadic mentions of this same error in the past, as reported on FT, Reddit, and a few other places, but did not see any consistent explanation for what's causing it.

Thoughts? Is there some points-combination frequency threshold--new or existing--that I just tripped accidentally? I'm at a loss to think of anything else that could have prompted this error message.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:18 pm
mia

Originally Posted by beltway
... not eligible at this time...
The oldest mention that I find of this error message is from 2014, and the poster mentioned making the same transfer a few days previously. which would support the frequency conjecture.

However, the most recent mention is just a few posts back in this thread, and the circumstances seem to be different.
beltway likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
Ran into a problem today when trying to add my wife's Ink Plus account as a transfer-to card for my Freedom card: message to the effect that "This card is not eligible at this time" or some such. That's different from the common "unexpected error" message when trying to add a new transfer-to card less than 24 hours after deleting the previous one.

I've made this same transfer plenty of times in recent years with no trouble--in fact, did a small one a week ago. (Can't recall if I deleted the association after the transfer or left it in place; certainly wasn't there today.) Double-checked that there are no other associations in either direction to/from the Ink+.

I did turn up sporadic mentions of this same error in the past, as reported on FT, Reddit, and a few other places, but did not see any consistent explanation for what's causing it.

Thoughts? Is there some points-combination frequency threshold--new or existing--that I just tripped accidentally? I'm at a loss to think of anything else that could have prompted this error message.
Originally Posted by mia
The oldest mention that I find of this error message is from 2014, and the poster mentioned making the same transfer a few days previously. which would support the frequency conjecture.

However, the most recent mention is just a few posts back in this thread, and the circumstances seem to be different.
I called & spoke to a Chase supervisor today about this. Short version: she was baffled.

Longer version: She could see that I'd done identical transfers in recent months, and (like me) she was unable to link the transfer-to account (my DW's) to my own UR account.

She did say something about recent policy changes for the Ink cards (here, the receiving account), but when she looked at the specifics she was unable to find anything relevant.

In what may be related news, I thought I'd try combining points indirectly (my Freedom -> my Ink Cash -> DW's Ink+). Went into my consumer (Freedom) account & linked to the Ink Cash, then logged out & checked the latter. My 1 experimental point had transfered just fine--and the UR interface suddenly had my Ink Cash card linked to ... my Ink Cash card [sic]. This seems like a very bad omen, as I assume it indicates Chase has been monkeying around with the code that implements rules for linking UR accounts.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:06 am

So, are non-spouse same household combines now kosher?
And, you can combine from one business account to another's business account, even if (I'm assuming for the previous poster) they were both 'sole proprietor' accounts?

@pallhedge, what are the requirements for combining points between two people's business cards? does the card have to be opened as 'partnership' type, or else technically there are no other owners? Or does Chase care? Do holders of business AU cards count as co-owners?

Last edited by mia; Jun 6, 2018 at 5:28 pm Reason: Combine related questions from two threads.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by erlich
So, are non-spouse same household combines now kosher?
And, you can combine from one business account to another's business account, even if (I'm assuming for the previous poster) they were both 'sole proprietor' accounts?

@pallhedge, what are the requirements for combining points between two people's business cards? does the card have to be opened as 'partnership' type, or else technically there are no other owners? Or does Chase care? Do holders of business AU cards count as co-owners?
Same Household is the threshold. I don't recall "spouse" was ever in the language. Here is the language for combining points with your business card
You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household or owner of the company
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:03 am
mia

By definition a Sole Proprietorship can have only one owner. A Partnership or Corporation may have more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.