Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combine UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Combine UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Wiki Link
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 14, 16, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mia View Post
  1. Yes, Freedom Unlimited is marketed as a cash back card, but earns Ultimate Rewards points
  2. Probably. Cardholders should be able to move UR points earned with other cards to their Sapphire Reserve UR account and redeem all of them at the Sapphire Reserve rate. No one has had the card long enough to have received a statement to verify this.
  3. You can redeem UR points from any card for cash. The rate is always $0.01 per point. Freedom Unlimited earns more points per dollar, but the points have the same value as any other UR card.
  4. Yes. See (2).
  5. Utilization is calculated based on the balance reported by the card issuer to a credit bureau. This is usually the balance which appears on your statement. The only way to have 0% utilization is the pay the bill in full before the statement is generated. The fact that you pay the bill in full before the next statement is invisible to the credit bureau.
Point #2.
I transferred 120K+ from my CSP and Freedom to my CSR the day I received the CSR. I then used it to book a trip to Scotland the next day at 1.5X's. It was $1800 for 2 but I used 120K UR's with my CSR.
It was before I even charged anything to the CSR if this helps you.
Old Jan 22, 17, 12:22 pm

I have the following situation and I'd like to consolidate our UR points in a single account.

me: new CSR & Freedom. At the moment, all points in the Freedom, having just converted it from a CSP. I can't xfer anything out of the Freedom. Chase sez I have to wait 3 business days. Not sure if that's true or not, but I'll wait and try again. Wife & daughter are AU's on the Freedom.

DW: Ink+ & CSP. Her points successfully combined into her Ink+ but we haven't xfered to anyone else. Plan is to convert her CSP to Freedom when the AF is due. Ink+ is relatively new but will probably downgrade that to Ink Cash when the AF comes due. I am AU on Ink+ (employee) and CSP.

Daughter: Lives at our address. She has a CSP and wants to avoid the AF so will probably convert to Freedom when the AF is due. She is an AU on my Freedom.

Chase web site says transfers to "household member" are OK. Most of the discussion I see here address spouse and dom. partners, not the broader "household member" class.

Can wife & daughter both combine to me? Or daughter->wife and wife->me? We can add any of us as AU to any other cards as necessary (exc. my CSR as I don't want to pay the fee for that).

Can I transfer out to all 3 of our FF accounts (probably UA)?
Old Jan 22, 17, 2:02 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by jc719 View Post
... I'd like to consolidate our UR points in a single account.... Most of the discussion I see here address spouse and dom. partners, not the broader "household member" class.
Do you want to consolidate in a single Ultimate Rewards account -or- in a single airline account?

Your post [was originally] in a thread which discusses moving points out of Ultimate Rewards to an airline or hotel program. Chase calls this transferring.

There are other threads which discuss moving points from one UR account to another. Chase calls that combining.

The rules for transferring and combining are related, but slightly different. You may need to do both to accomplish your objective.

This is a thread which discusses the rules for combining:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html

Here is another thread which discusses technical difficulties that you may encounter when combining:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...accounts.html?

Last edited by mia; Jan 22, 17 at 2:58 pm Reason: Update content after moving from another thread.
Old Jan 22, 17, 2:30 pm

Do you want to consolidate in a single Ultimate Rewards account -or- in a single airline account?
I want to combine in a single UR account (attached to a fee-bearing card for maximum flexibility).

Can you move to a more appropriate thread?

Sorry. Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Convert Freedom Unlimited to Sapphire Rewards?

I have several Chase credit cards, including a Freedom Unlimited and a Sapphire Rewards.

Can I convert the Freedom Unlimited card, or the points I've earned with it, into a Sapphire Rewards card, or points that can be used just like Sapphire Rewards points can be used?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:18 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Can I convert the Freedom Unlimited card, or the points I've earned with it, into a Sapphire Rewards...
Yes, Chase calls this feature Combine Points. Login to ultimaterewards.com, and click your points balance in the upper right to reveal a menu.
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:19 pm

If you have both of those cards, when you login to Ultimate Rewards there is a drop down menu with "Combine Points". You can send your Freedoms to Sapphires and redeem accordingly.
Old Jul 23, 17, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA PLT/1mm
Is there a limit on the number of transfers of points from 1 cc to another? What I want to do is pool all my points to the CSR to purchase airline tix, knowing full well I will canx it next year when I have to pay the AF again. I want to then transfer the remaining points (before I canx the CSR) to my Freedom to later use with a future CSP. Are there any pitfalls with this plan? Other then CSP possibly not being around in a couple years for new apps?

Last edited by isle-hawg; Jul 23, 17 at 3:43 pm
Old Jul 23, 17, 4:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
Is there a limit on the number of transfers of points from 1 cc to another? ...
Not to our knowledge. I consolidate points earned with a half-dozen cards into one card every month.
Old Jul 23, 17, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Plastic, Hyatt Podiatrist (or something), Hilton Plastic, IHG Plastic
Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
Is there a limit on the number of transfers of points from 1 cc to another? What I want to do is pool all my points to the CSR to purchase airline tix, knowing full well I will canx it next year when I have to pay the AF again. I want to then transfer the remaining points (before I canx the CSR) to my Freedom to later use with a future CSP. Are there any pitfalls with this plan? Other then CSP possibly not being around in a couple years for new apps?
I move them all over the place all the time. My best card is a Freedom card on which Mrs. HighOPS and I are co-owners. (Chase does not do this anymore, but they inherited a portfolio that originally came from Wachovia three or four banks ago.) We park points there from our cards and pull them to our transfer cards when we need them.
Old Jul 23, 17, 7:19 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA PLT/1mm
Not to our knowledge. I consolidate points earned with a half-dozen cards into one card every month.
Originally Posted by highops View Post
I move them all over the place all the time. My best card is a Freedom card on which Mrs. HighOPS and I are co-owners. (Chase does not do this anymore, but they inherited a portfolio that originally came from Wachovia three or four banks ago.) We park points there from our cards and pull them to our transfer cards when we need them.
This is what I thought, just wanted to verify. Thank you mia and highops for responding quickly and confirming!!
Old Aug 15, 17, 8:59 am

I think this is the correct forum, and I think I understand the rules/wiki, but just want to make sure.

Roomate has the Chase Sapphire Preferred card (the fee card). Have 60k UR. I'm added on as an AU. (I already have the Chase Sapphire - no fee card, plus the Freedom card).

Annual fee hits next month. I'll be at 4/24 with Chase this upcoming May (if I'm removed as the AU).

So my thoughts are to do one of these:
1) Transfer some/all the points into my UR account, then remove myself as the AU, then roomate closes account.

2) Transfer some/all the points into my UR account, then roomate downgrades to Chase Sapphire (no fee) card, then remove myself as AU before applying for another Chase card next year.

Basically we're trying to save up for some flights, hence the combined UR points and such.
Old Oct 1, 17, 12:41 pm

I want to combine points, but I'm worried about a shutdown. I currently have 400,000 points from multiple cards (myself and spouse). 2 Kids have close to 200,000 each. Will these large transfers trigger a review and a shutdown? According to the combining points terms this is allowed because we are the same family, same address

This is the clause that concerns me "repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points."
Old Oct 4, 17, 9:24 am
mia

Originally Posted by points1 View Post
This is the clause that concerns me "repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points."
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The quoted sentence does not say anything about using the Combine Points feature. If you, or your children, have been opening accounts, making only the required minimum spend, then closing, there is a risk, but it comes from that pattern, not from Combining.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 17, 2:53 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

The quoted sentence does not say anything about using the Combine Points feature. If you, or your children, have been opening accounts, making only the required minimum spend, then closing, there is a risk, but it comes from that pattern, not from Combining.
Mia - that quote is shown on the screen when you combine points. We have closed accounts (either at the 1 or 2 year card anniversary). More often than not we have elected to not pay the annual fee and cancel. The wording is a bit silly because chase offers the points as an incentive for people to sign up, so of course people sign up with the sole intention of earning points

Has anyone heard of shutdowns for combining points between parent/child?

Search this Thread