Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by yrs
Thank you pallhedge. I just tried that, but got an error message stating "You don't have any points to combine".
Since the account has just been created, I will give it another try after I accumulate some points. Thanks again.
The easiest way is to combine your personal card login with your business login. If you do that, you'll see all of your cards with UR points. A call to customer service may be required to combine your logins.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Apr 26, 2018 at 5:03 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:54 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
The easiest way is to combine your personal card login with your business login. If you do that, you'll see all of your cards with UR points. A call to customer service may be required to combine your logins.
A combined account showing all cards would be great. I did not know that was possible. Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yrs
A combined account showing all cards would be great. I did not know that was possible. Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it.
It was convenient, until the new Chase website came available. Everything is still at least in one place, but caveat emptor.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:49 pm

whether the rumor becomes reality or not, I have made it a habit to consolidate our URs to one premier account. the only ones that have not been pooled are from CF accounts that are closing in the next few days that I have completed $1500 spend.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:11 pm
RNE

Help me reason out the best response, should Chase decide to stop allowing combining points between cards and household individuals. Let's assume the only credit cards in the known universe are Chase CSR, FU and F. No other banks exist. No other credit cards exist. Under the foregoing constraints, here's my reasoning.
  • Keep the CSR because it earns 3% on travel and dining (I spend a lot on those and easily meet the $300 travel credit).
  • Keep the FU because it earns 1.5% cash-back on general spend.
  • Keep the F because it earns 5% cash-back on category spend, up to the $1500 limit.
For example, let's say I want to fly somewhere. On my way to the airport, I stop at a grocery store and buy a $2 candy bar with my F card (earning 5% which is $0.10 cash back). At the airport ticket counter,* I buy a $400 plane ticket using my CSR (earning 3% which is $12.00 cash back). Before my flight, I buy a $20 teddy bear for my granddaughter using my FU (earning 1.5% which is $0.30 cash back). I end up with $12.40 cash back. What other strategy would earn more under this scenario?

Remember, my premise is that Chase CSR, FU and F are the only credit cards in the known universe. Therefore, there are no 2% cash-back cards. What's wrong with my keeping--and using--all three of my Chase cards?

*Because I purchased a last-minute ticket at the airport, I'm SSSS'd and miss my flight.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
... What's wrong with my keeping--and using--all three of my Chase cards?...
If pooling were not permitted I would not use Freedom Unlimited because I would rather have one transferable UR (Sapphire Reserve or Preferred or INK Preferred) than $0.015.
beltway, Diplomatico and roundtree like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Member

I'm new to Ultimate Rewards, so pardon if this has been answered.

Can I transfer a family members points from their Freedom Unlimited to my Ultimate Rewards without them having a Sapphire card?

Thanks.

Last edited by birdyy; May 3, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by birdyy
I'm new to Ultimate Rewards, so pardon if this has been answered.

Can I transfer a family members points from their Freedom Unlimited to my Ultimate Rewards without them having a Sapphire card?

Thanks.
Have you tried reading the wiki at the top of the page?
beltway likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Have you tried reading the wiki at the top of the page?
Yes, at the top of this page, but I saw nothing or an I missing something?
Old May 4, 2018, 1:01 pm
mia

...missing something?
Perhaps. Click HERE, click the link that says "Click here to display Full Wiki", and read. The information there directly answers your question about combining points, including the full text of Chase's rules and an explanation of the process.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps. Click HERE, click the link that says "Click here to display Full Wiki", and read. The information there directly answers your question about combining points, including the full text of Chase's rules and an explanation of the process.
Thanks Mia, but I'm still not getting it I think.

You can earn UR points with Freedom, but you need a SR card to USE the UR points, correct?

So I'm not sure my question is answered in this link. I want to know if a family members points from their Freedom card can be moved to my UR points even if the family member doesn't have a SR card.

Can you please explain it to me like I'm 5, because I'm having a mental block on this one.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:31 pm
mia

.... you need a SR card to USE the UR points
Not exactly. You need Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, JPM Reserve, INK Preferred or certain other discontinued cards to be able to transfer points to an airline or hotel program, but a Freedom cardholder can redeem points for travel or giftcards. (Those cards can also increase the travel redemption value of the points.)

..family members points from their Freedom card can be moved to my UR points ....
Only if the family member is part of your household. Doesn't matter which card(s) they hold, but where they live is important.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mia
Not exactly. You need Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, JPM Reserve, INK Preferred or certain other discontinued cards to be able to transfer points to an airline or hotel program, but a Freedom cardholder can redeem points for travel or giftcards. (Those cards can also increase the travel redemption value of the points.)

Only if the family member is part of your household. Doesn't matter which card(s) they hold, but where they live is important.
Thank you so much. Now I get it. I missed to nuance of transferring to airlines and hotels, which is probably what I will do and that will require the SP, SR etc.

Yes, the family member is part of my household.

Thank you again, Mia.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:56 pm
mia

It is a little confusing. Chase uses combine to refer to moving points from one Ultimate Rewards account to another. They use transfer to refer to moving points out of UR to an airline or hotel partner program.

I combine points from my cards to my spouse's Sapphire Reserve account every month.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mia
It is a little confusing. Chase uses combine to refer to moving points from one Ultimate Rewards account to another. They use transfer to refer to moving points out of UR to an airline or hotel partner program.

I combine points from my cards to my spouse's Sapphire Reserve account every month.
I think I finally get how it all works. In my mind you should be able to transfer UR points to airlines and hotels without the Reserve etc, but what do they care what my mind thinks. LOL

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.